Jump to content

Concorde v1.41 causing CTDs


Ray Proudfoot

Recommended Posts

Fraser Gale

It sounds like a cumulative error that occurs after a specific time in an area.  For example a combination of something that needs a lot of processing power/VAS near the end of that route when there is very little left.  

I have GSX in v4 but turned it off in v3 after it caused issues.  It is still in there but deactivated from the menu.  Can't you uninstall from both then only install in v4 if you must do this?

Windows updates are known to cause problems but dismiss if you wish. 

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

It has to be P3D software related and uninstalling both SODE and GSX fixed it for 3 months. 

If this fixed it, what is the discussion about??   P3Dv3 is technically old now so if it is an issue, and I think it might be, we have to live with it. 

Link to post
  • Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Ray Proudfoot

    109

  • Konstantin

    19

  • Fraser Gale

    16

  • Norman Blackburn

    15

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whatever, I've never claimed to be a computer expert, just trying to eliminate all possibilities which is the best way to isolate an issue speaking from experience.  If it is a rare combination o

I was able to complete the flight with absolutely no problems at all. You will find screenshots of my setup at the end of the video: Windows 10 v1909 Build 18363.836 Nvidia Studio 446.14 Late

A return flight back to Oslo was fine. Without wishing to put the mockers on this I’m reasonably confident the problem has been fixed. Tomorrow I shall reinstall GSX and after a few more flights, SODE

Posted Images

Ray Proudfoot

@Fraser Gale, agreed it's some from of error that only occurs with a specific combination of software running / enabled.

I need a shorter test flight into EGCC as flying for 1h 20m before encountering the problem is not acceptable. Currently enroute from Shannon to EGCC subsonic at FL340. Should know in the next 20 mins or so.

There is a major problem with the GSX uninstaller. I ran it to see what my options were. It showed no option for P3Dv3 so I chose No. Bt it still restored default airport and other files. That should not have happened so when the forum is back I'll post about that. So as things stand I have deactivated SODE and god knows what state GSX is in.

VAS is not the issue. Plenty left yesterday - over 800Mb. If only it was that simple. No guarantee this flight will cause a CTD but you have to start somewhere.

Link to post
Fraser Gale
10 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@Fraser Gale, agreed it's some from of error that only occurs with a specific combination of software running / enabled.

I need a shorter test flight into EGCC as flying for 1h 20m before encountering the problem is not acceptable. Currently enroute from Shannon to EGCC subsonic at FL340. Should know in the next 20 mins or so.

There is a major problem with the GSX uninstaller. I ran it to see what my options were. It showed no option for P3Dv3 so I chose No. Bt it still restored default airport and other files. That should not have happened so when the forum is back I'll post about that. So as things stand I have deactivated SODE and god knows what state GSX is in.

VAS is not the issue. Plenty left yesterday - over 800Mb. If only it was that simple. No guarantee this flight will cause a CTD but you have to start somewhere.

The problem with this is you have changed something before doing the test, so it becomes invalid.  After deactivating SODE you should have flown the exact same flight that caused the issue to prove that SODE was the problem.  If the issue doesn't happen, you now know it is SODE.  By doing a short flight you aren't going to prove anything because it takes far less resources.

If something in the scenery takes a load of VAS within half a second your counter won't work fast enough to register it.....

Link to post
Ray Proudfoot
10 minutes ago, Fraser Gale said:

The problem with this is you have changed something before doing the test, so it becomes invalid.  After deactivating SODE you should have flown the exact same flight that caused the issue to prove that SODE was the problem.  If the issue doesn't happen, you now know it is SODE.  By doing a short flight you aren't going to prove anything because it takes far less resources.

If something in the scenery takes a load of VAS within half a second your counter won't work fast enough to register it.....

I don't have the enthusiasm to fly the LPPT-EGCC flight at present. It's worn me down. The Shannon-EGCC flight was fine. Yes, I'm well aware changing two things won't identify if SODE was the problem or whether it requires a LPPT-EGCC length flight. Or maybe that change to default files by the aborted GSX uninstall was the cure.

UK2000 Manchester is not a heavy user of VAS. I still have 1092Mb remaining after landing. It's a oddball error because it isn't being captured by Windows and shown in Event Viewer. The next test is LPPT-EGCC but not today.

Link to post
Norman Blackburn

Ray,

I'm somewhat confused about your GSX issue.  Their website shows two different installers.   Surely its just a simple task of uninstalling the one you need to under Control Panel?


image.png

Link to post
Ray Proudfoot

Hi Norman,

Have you checked the entries in Control Panel / Add/Remove Programs? Despite installing both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions I only have a single entry. No separate ones for 32 or 64 bit.

Link to post
Norman Blackburn

Hi Ray,

I think I mentioned earlier I dont have GSX for 32bit installed.  A shame that only one entry is placed by its installer.

Link to post
Ray Proudfoot

Hi Norman,

Just had a reply from Umberto. Because there are so many shared files for both versions there is no separate uninstall process.

Recommendation? Uninstall all FSDT airports and GSX both both sims and then reinstall for both sims. Ouch!

I replied asking why all that is necessary when I backed out of the uninstall but files were replaced anyway. Waiting for an answer. GSX still works okay at EGCC. Might leave things alone and see how things pan out on LPPT-EGCC tomorrow.

Link to post
Fraser Gale

Always do the small things first... Uninstall/re-install should always be a last resort.

I would even try turning down some sliders first - yes, I know you say there is no VAS issue, but as I said before if something suddenly uses all remaining VAS you won't see it, and I'm not convinced the VAS counters are accurate all the time anyway.  It might be that turning down a slider or two stops something being rendered that fixes the issue.

Link to post
Ray Proudfoot
1 hour ago, Fraser Gale said:

Always do the small things first... Uninstall/re-install should always be a last resort.

I would even try turning down some sliders first - yes, I know you say there is no VAS issue, but as I said before if something suddenly uses all remaining VAS you won't see it, and I'm not convinced the VAS counters are accurate all the time anyway.  It might be that turning down a slider or two stops something being rendered that fixes the issue.

Sliders are very low anyway otherwise I wouldn’t have so much free VAS. I’m using the offset in P3D read by FSUIPC and displayed via a LUA plugin on another PC. It also runs a moving map so I can be very precise about where it CTDs.

Please remember I’ve had this crash miles from land so I’m 100% sure it’s not anything to do with VAS. Most likely cause is the INS conflicting with something else in memory since it only happens with an active INS.

Link to post
Konstantin
2 hours ago, Fraser Gale said:

Always do the small things first... Uninstall/re-install should always be a last resort.

I would even try turning down some sliders first - yes, I know you say there is no VAS issue, but as I said before if something suddenly uses all remaining VAS you won't see it, and I'm not convinced the VAS counters are accurate all the time anyway.  It might be that turning down a slider or two stops something being rendered that fixes the issue.

If it was an VAS issue, Ray would see a message about the program running out of memory. But it's a CTD for him, it is likely to be something else. 

Link to post
Ray Proudfoot
Just now, Konstantin said:

If it was an VAS issue, Ray would see a message about the program running out of memory. But it's a CTD for him, it is likely to be something else. 

Precisely and as well as the message there would be an entry in Event Viewer. As there isn’t it’s an unhandled exception probably caused by a rare combination of the various programs running.

I suspect should a 64-bit version of Concorde be produced this problem would go away.

Link to post
Fraser Gale
25 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Precisely and as well as the message there would be an entry in Event Viewer. As there isn’t it’s an unhandled exception probably caused by a rare combination of the various programs running.

I suspect should a 64-bit version of Concorde be produced this problem would go away.

Whatever, I've never claimed to be a computer expert, just trying to eliminate all possibilities which is the best way to isolate an issue speaking from experience. 

If it is a rare combination of programs, what are you running now that you weren't running before? Going by your previous posts it looks like GSX/SODE so as previously stated, switch off/uninstall and see what happens.

Let's not use this as an excuse to turn yet another thread into an "I want a Concorde" proclamation - we know!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Ray Proudfoot
35 minutes ago, Fraser Gale said:

Whatever, I've never claimed to be a computer expert, just trying to eliminate all possibilities which is the best way to isolate an issue speaking from experience. 

If it is a rare combination of programs, what are you running now that you weren't running before? Going by your previous posts it looks like GSX/SODE so as previously stated, switch off/uninstall and see what happens.

I consider myself to be able to fix most flight sim problems but this has been a swine. The key is to change one thing at a time. But the problem is the CTD only occurs at the end of a flight so a lot of time is wasted before that point is reached. There are no shortcuts getting to that point.

I’m running nothing now I haven’t been running for the last year in v3.4. It’s extremely frustrating that I can depart Aerosoft Heathrow with 100+ Ai aircraft but cannot approach EGCC which is a much smaller airport with far fewer Ai without a CTD from some but not all departure airports.

I’m leaving SODE off for the time being and will see how I get on. Uninstalling GSX is not that simple as it affects other FSDT products with its COUATL executable.

Link to post
Norman Blackburn
6 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

There are no shortcuts getting to that point.

Am I right in saying I read you use FSUIPC autosave?  If so what happens if you reload sometime before this killer point?

Link to post
Ray Proudfoot
8 minutes ago, Norman Blackburn said:

Am I right in saying I read you use FSUIPC autosave?  If so what happens if you reload sometime before this killer point?

The flight continues without the CTD. That’s the really frustrating bit. It it was a bad airport file it wouldn’t make any difference whether I fly continuously or fly after a reload. That’s why I suspect it’s a memory clash with the INS code and other elements in the sim. Those may be related to SODE and / or GSX.

I would like to run a poll to see how many users run with the same addons as me in P3D. 3.4 and v1.41. Namely GSX and SODE. Is that possible? It would help see how many are flying a similar setup to me.

Link to post
Ramón Cutanda

I have GSX installed and have completed now 11 legs of my latest World Tour with v1.41. So far, so good. Not a single problem. I have, however, ONLY P3Dv3 installed because I am only flying Concorde now, so no risk of sharing files/settings between versions. Also, I am VERY careful of only activating the sceneries/airports I am flying from/to (Scenery Config Editor and LORBY-SI scenery manager are very helpul )

Please, share the flight plan(s) you are using and I will gladly fly it/them and check.

Because your CTD is so specific about precise coordinates I was wondering if maybe it has something to do with the internal AIRAC of P3D. I use https://www.fsaerodata.com/ but there is also a free option https://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids3.html. Probably this is a wild guess and have nothing to do with your CTD, but with after so many test failing, who knows...

Bests,

Link to post
Ray Proudfoot

Thanks Ramon,

Our two systems are very close in terms of OS, Nvidia drivers and GSX. I note you didn't mention SODE. So you just use the default jetways? CTRL+J. If you have UK2000 EGCC that would be good.

I'm attaching one plan that has given me trouble including yesterday's CTD. Fly the BUSEN SID out of Lisbon (LPPT) which is active for 03/21. By the time you reach BUSEN there is a sharp right turn and you should be close to FL260 there so can accelerate once the turn has ended.

You need to be subsonic by LOMVO and at FL100/250kts at WAL. Then turn towards MIRSI and engage TRK HDG to ensure you fly over MIRSI. If you pass over it then you succeeded where I failed. I CTD just 4nm before MIRSI.

Depending on the wind either turn to 085 after MIRSI until abeam the outer marker for a 23R landing or if winds are from the east turn due south for a 05R landing. But the crucial bit is whether you can get to MIRSI. Many thanks.

LPPTEGCC99.pln

Link to post
Ramón Cutanda

Thanks for the flight plan. I do have UK2000 EGCC (and Aerosoft's LPPT). I may be able to do the flight tonight. If not, surely I will have sometime tomorrow. I will let you know. I am also using SODE, I forgot to mention.

Bests,

Link to post
Ray Proudfoot
8 minutes ago, Ramón Cutanda said:

Thanks for the flight plan. I do have UK2000 EGCC (and Aerosoft's LPPT). I may be able to do the flight tonight. If not, surely I will have sometime tomorrow. I will let you know. I am also using SODE, I forgot to mention.

Bests,

Thanks Ramon. With SODE our systems are very close. I also have the Aerosoft Lisbon. I'll fly it tomorrow morning but will be waiting with interest for your results.

Link to post
Fraser Gale

@Ray Proudfoot I've just looked and I have GSX/SODE installed and I have the UK2000 EGCC and have flown in and out of there in Concorde regularly without issue.  However, I still run the old Nvidia driver...

Link to post
Ray Proudfoot

@Fraser Gale, thanks. It’s not the drivers. I’m sure of that. Out of interest which driver and OS build number.

Link to post
Fraser Gale
43 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@Fraser Gale, thanks. It’s not the drivers. I’m sure of that. Out of interest which driver and OS build number.

No idea and just shut down for the day. Was is not the 3xx.xx driver that we had to stick with for a while..?  

I feel you should think it could be anything until you can prove to yourself it isn't.  I have had issues in the past that turn out to be the very last thing you would think it would be...

Link to post
Ray Proudfoot
41 minutes ago, Fraser Gale said:

No idea and just shut down for the day. Was is not the 3xx.xx driver that we had to stick with for a while..?  

I feel you should think it could be anything until you can prove to yourself it isn't.  I have had issues in the past that turn out to be the very last thing you would think it would be...

376.33 probably. Those were the last drivers that Spotlights would work with. Not compatible with the 1080Ti card. In any case Ramon has already posted he keeps his system up to date with Windows updates and Nvidia  drivers.

Once I hear back from him I’ll think about the next step. I’ll also fly the Oslo-Heathrow route as the CTD could always be reproduced just off the Essex coast. Again, towards the end of a flight. Coincidence? Who knows.

Link to post
Fraser Gale
22 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

376.33 probably. Those were the last drivers that Spotlights would work with. Not compatible with the 1080Ti card. In any case Ramon has already posted he keeps his system up to date with Windows updates and Nvidia  drivers.

Once I hear back from him I’ll think about the next step. I’ll also fly the Oslo-Heathrow route as the CTD could always be reproduced just off the Essex coast. Again, towards the end of a flight. Coincidence? Who knows.

I still say that by the end of the flight, resources are running lower no matter what your VAS counter says - I'm not saying it's an OMM it might be your graphics card taking a hit or the processor.  Turn sliders down and prove me wrong as one of your tests, as I say, start with the easy things then work up.

Link to post
Ray Proudfoot
8 minutes ago, Fraser Gale said:

I still say that by the end of the flight, resources are running lower no matter what your VAS counter says - I'm not saying it's an OMM it might be your graphics card taking a hit or the processor.  Turn sliders down and prove me wrong as one of your tests, as I say, start with the easy things then work up.

I have already turned the sliders down! Loading Concorde at Shannon default had 1.8Gb free and over 1Gb free approaching MIRSI. My graphics card is running 1920*1080 at 25% load. In v4 it holds 30fps in UHD. There’s a huge amount of spare capacity for VRAM, RAM and VAS. Let that be an end to suggesting there is shortage of resources.

If the system is under so much stress how come it runs v4 in UHD with never a glitch? You’re barking up the wrong tree.

Link to post
Steve Prowse

Ray, I’m sorry to read that your CTD issues have started again; it is, to say the least, extremely frustrating when flight sim crashes. I do hope you get this sorted before FSL stop supporting and abandon Concorde-X altogether,  I have a feeling it’s this coming June....Anyway all the best Ray and keep safe in this very strange time we all find ourselves in.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Fraser Gale
1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I have already turned the sliders down! Loading Concorde at Shannon default had 1.8Gb free and over 1Gb free approaching MIRSI. My graphics card is running 1920*1080 at 25% load. In v4 it holds 30fps in UHD. There’s a huge amount of spare capacity for VRAM, RAM and VAS. Let that be an end to suggesting there is shortage of resources.

If the system is under so much stress how come it runs v4 in UHD with never a glitch? You’re barking up the wrong tree.

You can't compare v4 with v3; you can't compare Shannon to EGCC with a longer flight and you are missing my point, again - I'm not saying that you necessarily run out of capacity at the end of a long flight, but a combination of lower resources plus a bug somewhere might be why you get the CTD at the end of a longer flight.  I have an airfield in v4 that I can fly into without issue but if I try and load a flight there in a particular plane, I get a CTD.  Some things don't always follow computer logic!

I'm trying to help you but obviously everything I say is worthless so I won't waste my time from now on.  

Link to post
Ray Proudfoot
8 hours ago, Fraser Gale said:

but a combination of lower resources plus a bug somewhere might be why you get the CTD at the end of a longer flight.

Describe 'lower resources'. It certainly isn't VAS as I keep saying. The demands of v3 are tiny compared to v4. Yes, of course it's different. The problem appears related to the INS since the CTD doesn't happen when it's switched off.

But as no-one else has this problem it's a combination of INS / GSX and SODE possibly.EGCC scenery seems a long shot but if it CTDs today I'll try the same flight with it disabled.

I have disabled SODE and will uninstall and reinstall GSX so I know it's clean after yesterday's problem.

Link to post
Konstantin
8 hours ago, Fraser Gale said:

You can't compare v4 with v3; you can't compare Shannon to EGCC with a longer flight and you are missing my point, again - I'm not saying that you necessarily run out of capacity at the end of a long flight, but a combination of lower resources plus a bug somewhere might be why you get the CTD at the end of a longer flight.  I have an airfield in v4 that I can fly into without issue but if I try and load a flight there in a particular plane, I get a CTD.  Some things don't always follow computer logic!

I'm trying to help you but obviously everything I say is worthless so I won't waste my time from now on.  

If there is a bug causing the CTD, then it is better to focus on eliminating that bug rather then dialing down the settings (which are low already, and there is no promise that dialing them down further will eliminate the issue). Why can't you compare v4 with v3?  Both sims are based on the same ESP engine, and in fact, v3 user fewer resources overall at the same graphics settings. I know that I run high settings on my PC, and ConcordeX just flies fine.

Don't act insulted. I am sure every advice is appreciated, but it has to follow some reasonable logic. If Ray has been flying without any issues for quite a while, but the CTD is appearing recently, it just can't be due to computer resources, can it?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Konstantin

Ray, would it be an option for you to have two OS with a dual boot, the other OS exclusively being used for P3Dv3 and ConcordeX?  That way, you could avoid any cross-influence between 32 bit and 64 bit add-ons. You would also have a clean OS that you could keep better track of.

Link to post
Ray Proudfoot
10 minutes ago, Konstantin said:

Ray, would it be an option for you to have two OS with a dual boot, the other OS exclusively being used for P3Dv3 and ConcordeX?  That way, you could avoid any cross-influence between 32 bit and 64 bit add-ons. You would also have a clean OS that you could keep better track of.

I think you suggested this before. I'm not clever enough to do it sadly. But if Ramon keeps his system up-to-date then our systems should be closely aligned. I'm awaiting his report from flying LPPT-EGCC. The fact that the sim crashes at specific places means it is almost certainly scenery related.

Just like my ENGM-EGLL flight that CTD off the Essex coast. The more I think about it the more I feel it's a combination of GSX / SODE and OS updates since those are the only things that change on a semi-regular basis.

Link to post
Ray Proudfoot

Another point about resources. Three days ago I flew Seattle (3rd party addon) to San Diego (3rd party addon) with no problems whatsoever. SODE was enabled too. That's why this bug is so frustrating. Absolutely no consistency.

Link to post
Konstantin

I actually suggested wiping out the OS and install it fresh earlier, but this is no longer needed.

It is not difficult to set up two OS (there are plenty of instructional resources in the web). Ideally, you would have two hard drives, one for each OS. I think this method would allow a better control of the OS (especially with regard to updates) and add-ons without affecting your main OS.

Link to post
Ray Proudfoot
16 minutes ago, Konstantin said:

I actually suggested wiping out the OS and install it fresh earlier, but this is no longer needed.

It is not difficult to set up two OS (there are plenty of instructional resources in the web). Ideally, you would have two hard drives, one for each OS. I think this method would allow a better control of the OS (especially with regard to updates) and add-ons without affecting your main OS.

I have two SSDs. One for the OS and the other for P3D (both versions). Even if I was to do that is there a guarantee the problems would go away? Probably not. It's a step too far for me I'm afraid. Presumably the second (locked) OS would be based on my current one, not an earlier one. Given I have a problem with the current OS build (possibly) the only time to create a second OS would be with a stable build which I don't have access to.

I've uninstalled GSX and am now reinstalling it. It's not a short process. Once finished I'll fly LPPT-EGCC and see what happens.

Link to post
Fraser Gale

I have all the addons you mention and haven't had the CTD you have had.  If you have had a period without the issue, flying the exact same route/area then you suddenly get a CTD, something has to have changed on your computer. You have dismissed Windows update, therefore has SODE/GSX updated?

The INS software hasn't changed for years because the newest version isn't compatible with Concorde X so even if the clash is with the INS software, it has to be something else that has changed - this is why I stop all automatic updates, so that I know what has changed, even in the background so I can diagnose issues.  I am not saying you should do this, I'm just saying why I do it. 

Go through your addons and see when they were last updated, see when your drivers were last updated, and see when Windows last updated. If any have been altered in any way since you last had a successful flight in that area, roll back and test. 

I did once have a graphics card that caused CTDs at random but that is a last resort. 

Last thing I'm going to suggest, ignore if you wish. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Ramón Cutanda

I was able to complete the flight with absolutely no problems at all. You will find screenshots of my setup at the end of the video:

Windows 10 v1909 Build 18363.836
Nvidia Studio 446.14
Latest GSX with SODE 1.7.0
Concorde-X 1.41
Prepar3D v3.4.22.19868

I only had the FSX version of EGCC, so decided to install the latest DEMO instead.
 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Konstantin

@Ramón Cutanda I wonder, don't you use autogen during your flights?  And the level of terrain radius is very low, which is why the scenery looks blurry. It may not be related to Ray's problem, but I am positive that you could dial the settings higher without running into problems, since the graphics look kind of poor.

Link to post
Ray Proudfoot
1 hour ago, Fraser Gale said:

I have all the addons you mention and haven't had the CTD you have had.  If you have had a period without the issue, flying the exact same route/area then you suddenly get a CTD, something has to have changed on your computer. You have dismissed Windows update, therefore has SODE/GSX updated?

The INS software hasn't changed for years because the newest version isn't compatible with Concorde X so even if the clash is with the INS software, it has to be something else that has changed - this is why I stop all automatic updates, so that I know what has changed, even in the background so I can diagnose issues.  I am not saying you should do this, I'm just saying why I do it. 

Go through your addons and see when they were last updated, see when your drivers were last updated, and see when Windows last updated. If any have been altered in any way since you last had a successful flight in that area, roll back and test. 

I did once have a graphics card that caused CTDs at random but that is a last resort. 

Last thing I'm going to suggest, ignore if you wish. 

Yes, GSX has been updated as I said. But I think we can dismiss the OS updates being responsible since Ramon has just reported no problems with the flight. Same goes for his Nvidia drivers. Newer than mine but still no problem. That leaves GSX and / or SODE as the likely causes. Which takes us back to Andrew advising to uninstall them and then reinstall. I did and it fixed the problem for 3 months. Incidentally, see the attached image on how I monitor VAS etc. A LUA plug-in running on a separate PC using WideFS to 'read' P3D. Half-way back to Manchester and 1.3Gb free VAS.

44 minutes ago, Ramón Cutanda said:

I was able to complete the flight with absolutely no problems at all. You will find screenshots of my setup at the end of the video:

Windows 10 v1909 Build 18363.836
Nvidia Studio 446.14
Latest GSX with SODE 1.7.0
Concorde-X 1.41
Prepar3D v3.4.22.19868

I only had the FSX version of EGCC, so decided to install the latest DEMO instead

Thanks Ramon, very much appreciated. I'm half-way back to EGCC as I type this.

A couple of observations between our systems...

You only have SODE enabled for P3D v3. I had it enabled for both 3 and 4. Currently I just have 3 enabled.  Our OS versions are identical. You have newer drivers than my 442.59 but I don't see those as suspicious. I can't imagine the full version of UK2000 EGCC is responsible but I have modified the AFD to clean it up (no errors in ADE) and have a specialist ini file for the jetways from Cartayna. You may have heard of him.

Again, it's unlikely those are responsible. When I get close to MIRSI I'll be in a better way to judge if today's changes have had an effect. More in an hour or so.

VAS.jpg

Link to post
Ramón Cutanda

@Konstantin Of course I could increase the settings. But the only reason why I run P3Dv3 is to enjoy Concorde. So apart from the departure and arrival airports, where I like to have the details of the terminal, gates, runways and so on,  I don't need anything "eye-catching". I have access to the new MSFS2020 Alpha so, if I want to make realistic VFR flights I just have to switch the simulator. Those low settings in P3D provide me with a super fluid flying experience (I can maintain 60fps most of the time) and keep me out of OOM. It's not the best of looks out of the window, but I consider it a really low price to pay in exchange of a satisfactory flying experience.

@Ray Proudfoot In a quick Google search I found this thread. It is not your exact problem, but I maybe can help you determine whether you are loading the 32 or 64 bits version of SODE in P3Dv3. Best of lucks in your test flight. Should you like me to make any more test I am fully at your disposal.

Bests,

  • Like 1
Link to post
Ray Proudfoot

Gents,

I passed MIRSI without a CTD. Excellent! What's different? GSX is installed but only for 32-bit P3D. Same with SODE. Registered and activated for 32-bit only.

It's only one flight and a couple of things were changed so I'm not getting carried away but it's better. I shall try ENGM-EGLL this afternoon and see how that goes.

Ramon, thanks for that link. If he knew SODE had crashed presumably there was an Event Viewer entry. I see nothing. For now I shall keep away from the 64-bit versions of GSX and SODE. Another option is to disable 64-bit SODE when flying Concorde. Just in case there's a connection.

Link to post
Konstantin
32 minutes ago, Ramón Cutanda said:

@Konstantin Of course I could increase the settings. But the only reason why I run P3Dv3 is to enjoy Concorde. So apart from the departure and arrival airports, where I like to have the details of the terminal, gates, runways and so on,  I don't need anything "eye-catching". I have access to the new MSFS2020 Alpha so, if I want to make realistic VFR flights I just have to switch the simulator. Those low settings in P3D provide me with a super fluid flying experience (I can maintain 60fps most of the time) and keep me out of OOM. It's not the best of looks out of the window, but I consider it a really low price to pay in exchange of a satisfactory flying experience.

Well, if you can achieve 60 fps mid-air with Concorde-X, that's certainly a big benefit that may be worth sacrificing some eye-candy.

I hope one day we will be able to get the best of both worlds - a FSL Concorde for MSFS2020. I have no access to the Alpha, but I wonder if with the currently achievable computing power, it is possible to get decent fps when using a plane as complex as Concorde with a simulator that offers great graphics.

Link to post
Ramón Cutanda

@Ray Proudfoot I am SO HAPPY to read you have passed "the test". Hopefully this will help you stay away from CTD once and for all :-)

@Konstantin Because of the NDA I cannot get into details about MSFS2020, but one thing is for sure: unless MANY changes are made into the user interface, MSFS2020 will NOT be my default simulator and I will only use it for VFR. I wish I could tell you what I think about Concorde-X and MSFS2020, but I would need to get into some details of MSFS2020 and I don't want to spill the beans and get into trouble... On a different topic, thank you so much for your modified Concorde.air and Fuelburn.ini. I hadn't flown Concorde in the last couple of years, but even if I have not compared the figures side by side, just from my memory, I can confirm you what you already know: that they make a BIG difference in the accuracy of fuel burn while subsonic. Thanks!

Link to post
Fraser Gale
2 hours ago, Ramón Cutanda said:

@Konstantin Of course I could increase the settings. But the only reason why I run P3Dv3 is to enjoy Concorde. So apart from the departure and arrival airports, where I like to have the details of the terminal, gates, runways and so on,  I don't need anything "eye-catching". I have access to the new MSFS2020 Alpha so, if I want to make realistic VFR flights I just have to switch the simulator. Those low settings in P3D provide me with a super fluid flying experience (I can maintain 60fps most of the time) and keep me out of OOM. It's not the best of looks out of the window, but I consider it a really low price to pay in exchange of a satisfactory flying experience.

I have the exact same attitude to how the sim looks. At 60,000ft there's nothing to see anyway! 

Link to post
Konstantin

@Ramón Cutanda  I absolutely understand that disclosing more details about FS2020 would infringe the NDA, so I won't address that sim until the latter is lifted, but I sincerely hope that FSL Concorde 64 bit will be offered for at least any of the new simulators in the future.

I still use P3Dv3 as my primary sim and will probably do so until P3Dv5 will improve and/or FS2020 will be released, at which point I would upgrade my hardware. Aside from the VAS limitation, it is possible to make P3Dv3 look good in combination with ORBX and Envtex/Envshade. I personally like to have some more eye candy on my arrivals including cars on highways and AI traffic at airports, but given that I merely use a screen with a resolution of 1680x1050, it doesn't stress the VAS so much, which allows me to dial the graphics up a little bit. If you use the ORBX regions you will run out of memory without reducing the settings considerably, but OpenLC works just fine. Too bad that my computer is in the country where I have my job, while I am in a different country right now without being able to travel due to the situation. I miss flying Concorde.

Happy that I could make fuel planning easier for you with my files. :)

Link to post

×
×
  • Create New...