Simbrief imoprt: SID always pre-selected

Stu Antonio

Stu Antonio

Hi guys,

when I import my simbrief OFP, it will always have the runways & departure route already set on the mcdu's flight plan page, but it leaves the arrival route open (until I select a runway, then it will have the OFPs STAR pre-selected). I find that a little strange (but maybe it's "realistic"?) and I wonder if there is a way I can influence that. I'd like to import the route only and select the departure and arrival runways & procedures myself. Is that possible? 

BR
Stu

Stu Antonio
9 minutes ago, Huy Khoa Nguyen said:

I think as simple as if you remove SID and STAR in your flight plan then they wont be pre selected (?)

Correct, that would be the easiest approach, but since real world OFPs usually show SIDs and STARs on them, I'd prefer to keep them as well. 

Stu Antonio
19 minutes ago, M_i_k_e_V_o_g said:

simbrief has an option to export  the plan without the terminal procedures

sounds like that's exactly what I want. but I can't find that option, could you point me into the right direction? 

I'm using the simbrief exporter to export a .txt into C:\Users\Public\Documents\FSLabs Data\Routes and import it via the flt-number in the mcdu.

thanks!

M_i_k_e_V_o_g

48 minutes ago, Stu Antonio said:

sounds like that's exactly what I want. but I can't find that option, could you point me into the right direction? 

I'm using the simbrief exporter to export a .txt into C:\Users\Public\Documents\FSLabs Data\Routes and import it via the flt-number in the mcdu.

thanks!

Sorry, I'm afraid I have mislead you... The option does exist, but only for fsx/p3d .pln format. I use it for my 3rd party ATC program so it can assign its own.

So I see no other alternative other than deleting the procedures in the simbrief suggested plan and generating an ofp without them. In practice you'll end up with the same result

Stu Antonio
1 hour ago, M_i_k_e_V_o_g said:

Sorry, I'm afraid I have mislead you... The option does exist, but only for fsx/p3d .pln format. I use it for my 3rd party ATC program so it can assign its own.

So I see no other alternative other than deleting the procedures in the simbrief suggested plan and generating an ofp without them. In practice you'll end up with the same result

I see. But is there no way to import .pln files into the FSL? 

EDIT: apparently there is, I can import the .pln via the CORTE entry (see manual). but that requires the file that the simbrief downloader creates to be renamed to match the ICAO|ICAO|2-digits syntax. something I find quite inconvenient...

Stu Antonio
1 minute ago, M_i_k_e_V_o_g said:

@Stu Antonio

The most simple way to go about it would be simply to delete the Sid/star in the Simbrief flight plan field. It takes a fraction of a second and will give you exactly what you want.

I know, but as I mentioned above, I‘d like to keep them on the OFP. But thanks, I‘ll go with the .pln (no SID/STAR) format for the export for now. 

• 11 months later...
Stu Antonio

Forgive me for bringing this up again, but with the recently released Cadet Program of airline2sim, it resurfaced in my brain. :)

So in the videos of airline2sim, they import flight plans via the init request on the init A page, which is what I do as well. And the flightplan that is loaded, will load without RWYs, SIDs and STARs, wich is - as they mention in the video - makes sense, is correct and according to the real thing. As their simbrief-ofp DOES show the dep and arr procedures, I assume they planned their flight (like me) with simbrief, and exported it to the routes folder as .txt (standard FSL export function of simbrief) and maybe one as PDF for printing/reviewing etc.

So while this all works, on my system it will import the flightplan including the SID and departure runway. That's different from they way the system behaves in their videos.

I had a discussion about it with Ben over at their forum, and he admitted that he tried with the latest version of the FSL and also did not manage to import an flight plan without the procedures anymore. So did this somehow change? Is it a bug? If so, could this be looked into by the devs?

Please see the discussion over at the airline2sim forum here (with a video of a real world mcdu where it also does not import rwy/procedures), if I may link that:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/593522-a320-cadet-training-import-f-pln-without-rwy-sidstars/

Thanks!
Stu

Stu Antonio
5 minutes ago, Klaus Schmitzer said:

I also load it with SID included, but if it does not fit I just change the SID in the MCDU. 

yeah sure, there are lots of workarounds. but it's not really about not being able to fly or deal with it, it's more a question of realism. the SIDs are correct in 99% of the time, I could always just go, but I somehow have a stupid inner urge to have it as real as possible. otherwise it would be pointless and they could do one button where it imports the routes, procedures, all weights, sets all speeds and starts the engines automatically, all with one klick. :)

Norman Blackburn

Hi Stu,

Ive not watched the video beyond its opening line of “I’m going to walk you through”

From a flight plan point of view I know that in FAA land they do not plan with SIDs and STARs whereas in many other parts of the globe they do.  Since the plan being shown doesn’t include these then it stands to reason that the uplink wouldnt have them either.  

Stu Antonio

Hi Norman,

well, in all of their videos they show the simbrief OFP route which has the runways and departure procedures written on them.
When they import that plan though the flt-no, it imports the route without them. That's all I can tell. 

On my attempts, it will fill out the departure runway + SID automatically, but not the arrival runway + STAR. 
So I thought maybe it's doing the "import departure stuff" by accident. Because if you say it will import whatever is on the OFP, shouldn't it then import the arrival stuff aswell?

Norman Blackburn
1 minute ago, Stu Antonio said:

well, in all of their videos they show the simbrief OFP

Hi Stu

Im talking real world NOT what simbrief is doing.  You have a video of a real world MCDU without sids and stars so why would it be with a simbrief plan?

Stu Antonio
42 minutes ago, Norman Blackburn said:

Hi Stu

Im talking real world NOT what simbrief is doing.  You have a video of a real world MCDU without sids and stars so why would it be with a simbrief plan?

Ok, the real-life video was just a reference, and you're right, there is no way to tell what the basis for their import was (and it has nothing to do with simbrief). 

But I'm primarily talking about airline2sim's Airbus A320 Cadet Training Program, in which they do import a flight plan from simbrief without the RWY/SID, and Ben of a2s told me they didn't delete an parts of the route that simbrief generated. He said, that the way they showed in in their videos (which shows an earlier FSL version) in fact doesn't work anymore. Perhaps, because in a newer version of the FSL, the import-function is programmed differently. 

But I get the feeling that I'm being a stickler (had to look that up :D ) for details here. So the imported route is with SID, without STAR, okay.
It still works and all, I was just scratching my head over this. I'll just put this topic to rest then.

Cheers,
Stu

Norman Blackburn
57 minutes ago, Stu Antonio said:

Perhaps, because in a newer version of the FSL, the import-function is programmed differently. 

And perhaps the next version may have more options or alternatives :).  Or not.  Don't hold me to it.

58 minutes ago, Stu Antonio said:

But I get the feeling that I'm being a stickler (had to look that up :D )

Pedant means the same in both languages :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
Tim Smith

I was also getting annoyed by the SID and STARS getting auto imported from simbrief. AKAIK that shouldn’t happen, but I’m happy to be corrected.   What I did to fix it was first export with the SIDS and stars, save the PDF, then go edit flight, clear the SID/STAR and then reexport. The Fslabs ATSU will import the last generated flightplan so will therefore import with no SIDS or stars.  You may need to edit the trip fuel on the OFP page to match your original route generation. 

Stu Antonio
1 minute ago, Tim Smith said:

I was also getting annoyed by the SID and STARS getting auto imported from simbrief. AKAIK that shouldn’t happen, but I’m happy to be corrected.   What I did to fix it was first export with the SIDS and stars, save the PDF, then go edit flight, clear the SID/STAR and then reexport. The Fslabs ATSU will import the last generated flightplan so will therefore import with no SIDS or stars.  You may need to edit the trip fuel on the OFP page to match your original route generation. 

Another way that is maybe a tiny bit quicker and doesn‘t alter the initial fuel is to generate/export just once, open the .txt file that gets export into the public/routes folder and delete the SiD/STAR segments in there.

Tim Smith
9 hours ago, Stu Antonio said:

Another way that is maybe a tiny bit quicker and doesn‘t alter the initial fuel is to generate/export just once, open the .txt file that gets export into the public/routes folder and delete the SiD/STAR segments in there.

Only problem is afaik nothing gets downloaded. Fslabs ATSU pulls the data straight from the simbrief server. 

Stu Antonio
23 minutes ago, Tim Smith said:

Only problem is afaik nothing gets downloaded. Fslabs ATSU pulls the data straight from the simbrief server. 

Well, simbrief-link is optional, I don't use it. I instead use the simbrief downloader to export all the formats I want with one click (for example a PDF goes into the dropbox for iPad-viewing, pln-format goes to ATC-X, FSLABs export option goes into the routes folder, etc etc). I can then import it via the MCDUs init-request function.

The FSLAbs route file can be edited (it's basically an OFP in txt format). If I remove the RWY and SID/STAR segments in there, they won't get imported. This way I have to generate a flightplan only once and keep the initial fuel calculations even without procedures.

01qKwaO.jpg

Mateusz Chalupniczak
59 minutes ago, Stu Antonio said:

Well, simbrief-link is optional, I don't use it. I instead use the simbrief downloader to export all the formats I want with one click (for example a PDF goes into the dropbox for iPad-viewing, pln-format goes to ATC-X, FSLABs export option goes into the routes folder, etc etc). I can then import it via the MCDUs init-request function.

The FSLAbs route file can be edited (it's basically an OFP in txt format). If I remove the RWY and SID/STAR segments in there, they won't get imported. This way I have to generate a flightplan only once and keep the initial fuel calculations even without procedures.

01qKwaO.jpg

Sorry but why don't you choose the FSX/P3D format?

Just download it and place in documents/p3d files and that's all

Stu Antonio
1 hour ago, Mateusz Chalupniczak said:

Sorry but why don't you choose the FSX/P3D format?

Just download it and place in documents/p3d files and that's all

Well, first of all, the FSLabs format is there for a reason, and it works really well.

If I do as you suggest, it won'T find any flight plan to import.
The FSX/P3D format that goes into the documents folder won't have a filename that can be used with the callsign/init-request function as far as I know.
I think you can import that using the CORTE function, but that's a totally different thing.

EDIT @Mateusz Chalupniczak:

You know what, that's actually not a bad idea. I just tried this again, and yes, I will have to use the CORTE function, but despite my beliefs, it will take the .pln file (by just putting ICAO|ICAO into the CORTE field) even though the file doesn't have the ICAO|ICAO|2digits filename, which according to the manual* it has to have. Apparently not. And you can skip the SID/STARS just like I wanted. The bus will then even create a .pln file in the same folder with a callsign-type-filename, but I don't know why. For now, I think I'll test some flights with this solution.

image.png.d768a3c6579d8bd7fd72001fae964f7b.png 

*still true?

Andrew Wilson

Don’t go changing the OFP - we will make some changes here to have it reflect what the real one does; that is, not to uplink the SID/STAR. I will add an option to our MCDU to retain this feature for those that wish to continue to see the SID/STAR uplinked.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Stu Antonio
4 minutes ago, Andrew Wilson said:

Don’t go changing the OFP - we will make some changes here to have it reflect what the real one does; that is, not to uplink the SID/STAR. I will add an option to our MCDU to retain this feature for those that wish to continue to see the SID/STAR uplinked.

This! :wub:

Awesome guys, thanks!