32 Gb of RAM vs 16Gb RAM

Vincent Twisker

Vincent Twisker

Hi folks,

In an attempt to improve my FPS and reduce stutters, could I expect any  significant improvement when upgrading my RAM from 16Gb to 32Gb?

I'm running Fslabs 320 on 3 1080p TVs (in Nvidia surround mode),  2 USB3 displays for LH and RH EFIS and 1 1080p monitor for ECAM. P3D4.5, settings as per RD performance guide. 

Lots of photoreal scenery on SSD, FreeMesh, ORBX LC and vector, TE Netherlands and FT AMS. AS4

Single desktop specs:

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4-Core (8 threads) 4.0Ghz (turbo: 4.4Ghz), Enermax Liqmax II 120 radiator with 2 120mm fans. GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080 8GB, RAM 16GB DDR4. PSU: B700 700 watt.

Thanks for any advice in this matter. 

Darren Klenk

First thing I'd do is open up windows ressource monitor and see how much of your current 16GB of RAM is being used when simming. If it's not saturated don't expect any improvements. 

Mark Roberts

I upgraded from 16gb to 32gb of ram.

My pagefile usage has gone up from 7-8gb to 12-14 depending on where I am flying so it seems to help smooth things out.

i lock things to 30fps and 30hz though so I don’t really notice stutters etc

I also run active sky, Aivlasoft, charts etc on my desktop so the extra ram helps. I notice a difference but who knows.

Raffaele Fia$ella

16 GB of memory are enough on my experience... Instead of adding some extra bank if possible try to improve the quality of the back itself. I mean I have an huge improvement on my system when I switched to a 3600 DDR4 from a low performance bank ( don't remember now the speed ).

Raffaele

Erik Krambeck

Hi, I had the same question some weeks before. I had a 4 years old system (I7 K6770 with 16GB Ram) and only 10 GB Ram were maximal used.

Now I updated to a new system (I9 9900KS with 32 GB and Geforce 2080) and P4DV4 is using sometimes up to 14-15  GB RAM and its running smooth mostly even on bigger Add-on Airports on 30 fps in 4K.

Only some "older" Airports (for instance AS Tegel prof) ore UK 2000 Heathrow  running with 20 fps, I think its depends how the airport is programmed...

Greetings Erik

12 hours ago, Mark Roberts said:

I upgraded from 16gb to 32gb of ram.

My pagefile usage has gone up from 7-8gb to 12-14 depending on where I am flying so it seems to help smooth things out.

That is completely contradictory to how the page file works.  Are you sure the page file is actually being used?   Or is that the determined page file available size within Windows?  If you are paging out 14GB to disk, your system has issues.

More RAM = less actual page file usage.  I have mine locked at 2GB.  Others set theirs to even less.

Andrew Baker

You’re better off leaving the page file alone Windows will do a better job of managing it than any end user will. This isn’t windows 7 or Vista days. Even windows 7 didn’t need messing with regards the page file. 

Sachin Gnath
9 hours ago, Ralf Goertz said:

On my PC it didn't make a difference whether I installed 32 or 16 GB. With XPlane you need 24 GB and more, with P3D 16 GB are sufficient.

+1. 

Wanthuyr Filho

I never could figure out right how the pagefile works, but I always had 32 GB and in the beginning I had the pagefile disabled until the day P3Dv4 had a glitch in a scenery, which caused some kind of a memory leak and it OOM'd. Then it OOM'd again using Orbx Great Britain addon (I run the simulator at 4k resolution) and then I turned on the pagefile and never had a problem again as yet. So to me it seems that 32 GB is worth it.

Andrew Baker

The page file is on by default and Windows will change its size as and when required. If you turn it off then you will get OOM's. Leave it alone and you will be fine. A fixed page-file size was only really relevant in the days when HDD's were small, memory was expensive and you wanted to stop the pagefile from getting fragmented and slowing your system. It's not an issue now as most simmers are using SSD's anyway and they don't get fragmented.

Mark Roberts

Sorry I was going by what somebody had posted about RIVA Tuner showing Page file but I believe its just ram.

I upgrade from 16GB to 32 GB and it shows P3D using 13GB now compared to only 8-9 before.

It also seems smooth but that could be placebo effect

Ralf Goertz

It is unfortunately an old misbelief if you want to force more RAM usage by setting the pagefile to 0. Windows needs a pagefile and should always be able to manage it itself. If you are better than the Microsoft software developers, you can try ;).

Since Ram is not too expensive, you can easily upgrade to 32GB. It doesn't make it worse.

Vincent Twisker

Thanks you all for the responses. I've been monitoring the RAM useage more closely and it always seems to hover around 65%. So there seems no point in increasing it to 32Gb. The default/rated speed is 2400MHz. I'm now trying to gradualy increase that in BIOS and see where the system starts to disagree.

I wish you lots of fun flying in 2020!

• Like 1