Trackir

Brad Zimmer

I am somewhat interested in trying trackir but have never tried it.  I use chaseplane now in the VC and thought trackir might add a little more fun to panning around the VC in my fslabs.  For those that use it, anyone have feedback good or bad or what I should be careful about when considering it?  Thanks 

Hey Brad,

I use it for several years now and couldn’t fly without it. It adds a layer of realism and the possibility to “have a look” without losing grip of the throttle and stick is great. In the long term I think VR is the way to go, but in the meantime: go for it. 

julian 

• Like 1

I bought my first TrackIR (v4) around 15 years ago. It completely changed the simulation for me.
After many years of use, my TiR4 broke down and for a short period (before I ordered v5 that I have until today), I had no TrackIR.
I tried to sim without it, but that was such a pain.

For over a year now I've been using my TiR5 with ChasePlane and they are great companions.

Something to be careful about? Well, except for a high chance of getting addicted (lol), you just need to get used to it, to wearing something on your head while simming, and to specific movements which take some time to master. But if you don't give up immediately and adopt to it, it will make your simming immersion jump a few levels up. B)

• Like 1
Heinz Zimmerbauer

I use TrackIR since a couple of months in combination with ChasePlane. This really enriches the SIM experiance and brings it up two levels higher. Nevermore fly without it.

As long as VR resolution is too poor to read digits of instruments - TrackIR is the best you can buy! :)

Heinz Zimmerbauer
17 minutes ago, Brad Zimmer said:

Do you all use it the entire flight or just while on the ground through take off then put it on back for landing?  How does it interact with Chaseplane?

I use it during the whole flight from powering up the bird till securing it. So i can get a real life feeling where the knobs and gauges are in the RL bird... ;) 

K. Serhan Onur

I used it for a long time. Absolutely fantastic hardware for the simulator. I used it with FSX, P3D v1,2,3,4+; XPlane11, DCS2.5 and no negative effect for performance. So easy to set up and use to it.

Serhan Onur

Has anyone else tried Tobii eye tracker? It's bit difficult to set up for P3D but does not require the user to wear anything. The recognition of head position has been brilliant for me so far. The cost is only marginally above trackir... The only problem is that it's user base is not huge, so there aren't many tutorials etc. on the setup.

Aki A uvinen

4 hours ago, Brad Zimmer said:

Does it impact performance?

Some say it does a bit, but I did tests and haven't seen any significant difference.

Is it easy to set up?

There are ready sim profiles available if you don't like to mess with settings.

Is it easy to get used to?

As I wrote above, it takes a little time to get used to wearing the clip on you cap or headphones and to moving your head as the movement range is lower than in reality. However it took me just a few sessions and then I got a great feel of it. Some folks complain about nausia or headaches, but I don't experience them, though I am sensitive.

7 hours ago, Brad Zimmer said:

Do you all use it the entire flight or just while on the ground through take off then put it on back for landing?

Me? The entire flight of course. When I need a break, I just click a switch assigned to PAUSE and it freezes.

7 hours ago, Brad Zimmer said:

How does it interact with Chaseplane?

Amazing, as I wrote above.

Phillip Tengg

I can't fly without my trackhat clip mounted on my headset any more. 

Sometimes it is a bit tricky to "catch" a PB when you can't stop the move, but if so, I freeze it with a button assigned to my joystick.

Highly recommended!

21 hours ago, Aki Auvinen said:

Has anyone else tried Tobii eye tracker? It's bit difficult to set up for P3D but does not require the user to wear anything. The recognition of head position has been brilliant for me so far. The cost is only marginally above trackir... The only problem is that it's user base is not huge, so there aren't many tutorials etc. on the setup.

Aki A uvinen

You recommend it?

Right now, the 4c version is even a little cheaper than TIR. This looks very interesting I have to say. The limitations don't seem to effect me (screen size and number of screens). I will keep an eye on it.

Mark M Balagtas
On 12/3/2019 at 7:18 AM, Heinz Zimmerbauer said:

I use TrackIR since a couple of months in combination with ChasePlane. This really enriches the SIM experiance and brings it up two levels higher. Nevermore fly without it.

As long as VR resolution is too poor to read digits of instruments - TrackIR is the best you can buy! :)

Heinz, are there kangaroos in the area where you live? just curious...B)

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 2:44 PM, Rafal Haczek said:

Some say it does a bit, but I did tests and haven't seen any significant difference.

There are ready sim profiles available if you don't like to mess with settings.

As I wrote above, it takes a little time to get used to wearing the clip on you cap or headphones and to moving your head as the movement range is lower than in reality. However it took me just a few sessions and then I got a great feel of it. Some folks complain about nausia or headaches, but I don't experience them, though I am sensitive.

Me? The entire flight of course. When I need a break, I just click a switch assigned to PAUSE and it freezes.

Amazing, as I wrote above.

Where does one find the specific profiles?  Are there FSlabs profiles or is it just P3d?

1 hour ago, Brad Zimmer said:

Where does one find the specific profiles?

There are a lot of different profiles (Titles) included already in the installed TrackIR software. You can choose whichever suits your needs best.
If you're not happy with them, I guess you can search the web for some more that other simmers made.

Hendrik Herryjanto
On 12/4/2019 at 1:24 AM, Aki Auvinen said:

Aki A uvinen

I would like to know more about your opinion on that too. I know about Tobii but as you said, firstly I wasnt sure if it will work with P3D and I couldn't find any video online of it in combination with P3D. Is there any forum where I can find more information about it?

23 hours ago, Rafal Haczek said:

There are a lot of different profiles (Titles) included already in the installed TrackIR software. You can choose whichever suits your needs best.
If you're not happy with them, I guess you can search the web for some more that other simmers made.

Which settings / profile do you use and where did you find them?  I just fired it up and at first test, I am not sure I like it.  I was hoping someone with experience with this in the FSlabs can give me a good starting point.

Also, I find that it is too sensitive.  What would be some good starting points to tweak with?  I feel like I am getting 2 extremes of either too sensitive or not at all