New feature in the latest Nvidia driver (441.08)

Frederic Nadot

Frederic Nadot

Hello all!

Do you have tested the "sharpen" feature in the Nvidia control panel? In my case, combined with the 4X SSAA and a non 4K display, the result is quite good and apparently without FPS degreasing. 

It doesn't break anything, and it does turn the simulator into a whole new experience with sharper textures and overall better looks. There is a slight performance increase (unfortunately the 320 still runs really bad) and this has already been announced at AVSIM (that the driver did something different and performance increases are actually noticeable).

Artur Araripe

Is 441.08 stable?

I heard that some people were suffering from frame drops/stutters after installing it (other games, dunno about p3d)

Erik Schlijper
4 hours ago, Frederic Nadot said:

Hello all!

Do you have tested the "sharpen" feature in the Nvidia control panel? In my case, combined with the 4X SSAA and a non 4K display, the result is quite good and apparently without FPS degreasing. 

That's some good info! May I ask what Imagine Sharpening settings you use?

Robert Ruprecht
7 minutes ago, Erik Schlijper said:

In Nvidia control panel, the choice seems to be on or off, I went for “on” and made no further changes. 

Erik Schlijper
1 minute ago, Robert Ruprecht said:

In Nvidia control panel, the choice seems to be on or off, I went for “on” and made no further changes. 

Ahh okay. So you use the Manage 3D Settings -> Program Settings, select Prepar3D.exe and turn it on?

Erik Schlijper

I get this in the Program Settings of the Nvidia Control Panel. Global Settings does also show GPU Scaling.

image.png.7a6111bdd3c72c48be7fd0309ba8fa39.png

Frederic Nadot
22 minutes ago, Erik Schlijper said:

Just the default settings. Enough for me.

• Thanks 4
Robert Ruprecht
22 minutes ago, Erik Schlijper said:

I get this in the Program Settings of the Nvidia Control Panel. Global Settings does also show GPU Scaling.

image.png.7a6111bdd3c72c48be7fd0309ba8fa39.png

26 minutes ago, Erik Schlijper said:

Ahh okay. So you use the Manage 3D Settings -> Program Settings, select Prepar3D.exe and turn it on?

Yes, did not touch anything beyond “on” definitely an improvement . Also have Tomato 31 and Hugo s reflections. Gsync monitor .

Resolution 2560x1440. As others may have totally different set ups, you may or may not see an improvement in image. For me definitely sharper.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Nuno M Pinto said:

It doesn't break anything

Well I hope you are right, but installing new video drivers already screwed up my Nvidia inspector settings more than once. Nevertheless I will try the new drivers. 

Martin von Dombrowski
11 hours ago, Frederic Nadot said:

Hello all!

Sounds promising! Did you change your setting in P3D or was it 4x SSAA before, too?

Frederic Nadot
10 hours ago, Martin von Dombrowski said:

Sounds promising! Did you change your setting in P3D or was it 4x SSAA before, too?

No. I just updated the driver without changing anything in P3D.

Richard Nellyer

No joy with it here. Absolute stutter fest. That's running at 5760x1080 with Nvidia Surround. Turning off the sharpen feature returned frame rates back to normal. 

i7-8086k @ 5.0ghz 32gb RAM        GTX 1080ti. 

It seems to work for me. It definitely looks sharper now, almost to the point where I think it pronounces the jagged lines of the bad P3D AA. Will keep an eye on it and maybe reduce the slider a bit.

I generally like what I'm seeing. Textures are more crispy and even the A320's displays seem to be more readable.
The side effect, obviously, is a bit more jaggies (weakened antialiasing) and a pinch of grain, which is more visible when it gets dark. A typical price for sharpening.
As for performance, I haven't noticed any difference up or down.

• Like 2
On 11/5/2019 at 12:00 PM, Frederic Nadot said:

Just the default settings. Enough for me.

Frederic, how's the 9700k going for you , I am thinking about getting it on black Friday ?

Frederic Nadot

You are going to do something good ;). I really enjoy the 9700K as it has 8 real cores (no hyperthreading available) especially after a i7 3770K. No issue with it excepted a performance drop in the London area by bad weather. However It allows high P3D settings. Go ahead! :)

Ramon De Valencia

It looked good, but then I was parked at gate F35 at ESSA under overcast with heavy rain conditions at 15Z and my FPS dropped to 15-20.

After removing this feature and starting the same flight under the same conditions FPS were back again at steady 30 without any drop.

That has been my observation so far, it is great under clear skies but doesn't like rain and clouds.

1 hour ago, Ramon De Valencia said:

my FPS dropped to 15-20. After removing this feature and starting the same flight under the same conditions FPS were back again at steady 30 without any drop

Almost 50% difference?
Wow, strange, I need to experiment more.
So far my flights have not indicated anything like this.

Ramon De Valencia
9 minutes ago, Rafal Haczek said:

Almost 50% difference?
Wow, strange, I need to experiment more.
So far my flights have not indicated anything like this.

also during my approach at LOWW under heavy rain and overcast I never had more than 15FPS.

But I will do more testing tonight and let you know.