P3D V4 All this updating

phil highton

Hi , just wanna say all these updates are starting to get a little tiresome !, Has much as I love simming iam starting to feel update fatigue, endless updates , re configing my system is beginning to take its toll , and I am seriously begging to question if I would be better spending my time and money on other things , this is in now way having a go at the Devs , I understand they are just trying to make their products better , I just wished they would all get together and work closely together to make the whole community move as one , yes that's eiser said than  done I understand , iam just saying once again it seems iam spending more time in setting up the sim than actual flying in the sim , and iam starting to think is my time doing all this stuff worse it ?, Phil

• Like 4
Kristian A. Demian

Do you find updating apps on your phone tiresome also? I'm not trying to be rude, but I spend time update apps on my iPhone everyday because they often offer performance, product or user-ability fixes. 

If you need to keep re-configuring your system, perhaps time to invest in-one that doesn't require time and money as often as you say you do now. 

Whilst yes, you are entitled to your own opinion, I don't think this is the place. FSLabs have a great product and as every great product does, updates are required to enhance or improve the end-user experience. 

Luis Oswaldo Bethencourt

Hi there Phil.

Being honest, sure there are developers who can be considered 'guilty' for updating too much, or too often, but FSLABs is not among them.

I am not even gonna go to the announcements section to check it , but I can tell with total confidence they haven't released more than 3 updates this year.

Is that too much? :)

PS. I am not a cuddle person but if you want a hug I am your man, giving them for free today (shower just broke this morning) :D

• Like 2

I don't mind many updates as long as they fix bugs or improve something although it can be difficult at times to keep track of all the updates and changelogs. But this "living from update to update" gets a little frustrating for me sometimes. It's not like waiting for a new product or a new feature/functionality (like A321, Sharklets, ATSU etc.)... those things can take their time, I can wait. But I get the feeling that for the past 2 years I've never used a reletively bug free product. I'm constantly waiting for a bugfix-update.

I've waited so bad for the A319 a/p fix (or whatever you wanna call it) so I can finally use the product without compromise. It came out a week ago, works great, but now I'm again waiting for the CFM sound fix. And the most frustrating part is when the devs confirm in the forum that something indeed has been fixed but you won't be able to use it because they won't release a new build just for one or two little fixes. And I can understand this somehow, because it's always a huge pack to up/download, uninstall, install, setup etc. 

That's where the much requested updater comes in. OrbX, PMDG, FSDT, Aerosoft, OldProp, TOGA etc.... they all use some sort of "Central" software to manage/update their products. I 'm sure FSL is thinking about or even working on something similar, and really I hope this will be introduced with the A321 across all their products. Maybe then we could have smaller but more frequent updates that can be installed more easily.... 

• Like 4

A way not to uninstall and reinstall every time would help a lot. It IS tedious to aaaalways do the redownload steps, load the whole 2 aircraft, uninstall, reinstall and - if you don‘t use camera addons - redo all the cfg work to reset your viewpoints. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Artur Araripe

There are multiple ways to do that, but the quicker would be going to control panel > add/remove programs and look up FSLabs. It would show you the build number and stuff.

Just now, sparkie66 said:

thanks!

Just a heads up but per the forum rules here everyone is required to use their real name. That way if you ever need support from fslabs in here they are more willing to help that way.

3 hours ago, Stu Antonio said:

That's where the much requested updater comes in. OrbX, PMDG, FSDT, Aerosoft, OldProp, TOGA etc.... they all use some sort of "Central" software to manage/update their products. I 'm sure FSL is thinking about or even working on something similar, and really I hope this will be introduced with the A321 across all their products. Maybe then we could have smaller but more frequent updates that can be installed more easily.... 

This is not new as I remember that they already said about the Updater long time ago, the problem is it is not in their high priority todo list...

Just now, Huy Khoa Nguyen said:

This is not new as I remember that they already said about the Updater long time ago, just the problem of it is not in the high priority...

Well with each patch update we see the need rises at the customer side.

• Like 2
Roland Roelofs
5 minutes ago, koen meier said:

Just a heads up but per the forum rules here everyone is required to use their real name. That way if you ever need support from fslabs in here they are more willing to help that way.

fixed it, thanks

Markos Papoutsidakis

Maybe you should have a look first at other threads and see the number of users asking for a new release... In addition, add-ons should be updated due to P3D's frequent updates, otherwise they just don't work at all..

• Like 1
On 10/22/2019 at 1:57 AM, Kristian A. Demian said:

Do you find updating apps on your phone tiresome also? I'm not trying to be rude, but I spend time update apps on my iPhone everyday because they often offer performance, product or user-ability fixes. 

If you need to keep re-configuring your system, perhaps time to invest in-one that doesn't require time and money as often as you say you do now. 

Whilst yes, you are entitled to your own opinion, I don't think this is the place. FSLabs have a great product and as every great product does, updates are required to enhance or improve the end-user experience. 

While I certainly do appreciate developers fixing stuff and providing new features, I can somewhat understand the OP. There is a difference between updating a phone app and a simulation add-on or simulator.

Usually, the latter goes with backing up/restoring customized config files, liveries, etc. and then restoring everything. Depending on the level of customization, the effort can be considerable. Usually, all of this does not apply to a phone app which just updates itself.

Updating sim and add-on‘s can be a hassle, but I am willing to take this for some good fixes and/or features any day.

Well, but in the end, don't we enjoy the hard work they've put into polishing these buses? I do genuinely feel "push updates" would make life more easier. But then, giving myself some work to download (super slow for me all the time, lol), un-installation, installation, etc. gives me that anxiety (adrenaline) of wait and I simply feel its worth it for all the functionalities we get in the end. Haha. 

Personally, i don't really mind the way it is at the moment for the product that I get. There was once a time where we barely had an Airbus that looked stunning both visually and functionally... It's only my personal opinion.

The thing is that beta team sometimes missing some bugs (which is understandable), or some new bugs occurring during build compilations. 

Anyhow, the fact that they do fixing those issues it's the most important thing. As much as I hate to reinstall each time new version released, I hate much more to use the software with some annoying issue. 

Have a look at the last update, finally the manual flying is a real joy and without sudden aggresive pitch movements. So it took some time but they nailed it.

• Like 2
Luis Oswaldo Bethencourt

Well.. as you might know already the update is out. 

holy shait...... download speeds are good, but accesing the redownloads portal takes ages :D 

Good luck everyone and enjoy!

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Aaron Brand said:

So FSL is now finding itself in a unique position.

If they don't fix bugs they get moaned at.  If they fix bugs and update, they get moaned at.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.....

Not really a unique position for a software developer. And two things can be true at once: 1. FSL has not stopped improving and fixing their products, unlike quite a few FS devs I know that ghost their customers after one hot fix, and that should be acknowledged 2. They really need an updater.

What would be really cool is the ability for users to download and switch to an experimental or beta branch so we can help ID issues. 

Just now, Aaron Brand said:

10 minutes? Don't you need to uninstall and reinstall the FSL?  And to be safe I remove liveries as well.

The installer will uninstall the old version for you. No need to remove any liveries.

• Like 2
M_i_k_e_V_o_g

The update process is no big deal really and indeed takes a few minutes (or rather “a couple” - fsl terminology) to complete.

Having said that, ir could be nice if the process was that of an update, rather then reinstallation as all previous custom options e.g lcd pens and colours, database, custom bitmaps etc are lost and need to be restored each time. 

On 10/22/2019 at 12:43 AM, phil highton said:

Hi , just wanna say all these updates are starting to get a little tiresome !, Has much as I love simming iam starting to feel update fatigue, endless updates , re configing my system is beginning to take its toll , and I am seriously begging to question if I would be better spending my time and money on other things , this is in now way having a go at the Devs , I understand they are just trying to make their products better , I just wished they would all get together and work closely together to make the whole community move as one , yes that's eiser said than  done I understand , iam just saying once again it seems iam spending more time in setting up the sim than actual flying in the sim , and iam starting to think is my time doing all this stuff worse it ?, Phil

You should be thankful that the devs do care. The answer for you is, don't download the updates if you don't want to. Simples.

• Like 2
Beat Sandhofer

Well, and we can be glad that as real as flying the airbus is, updating is quite simple. I guess if FSlabs would simulate the update of the airplane like it would be in real life as well, we would never fly again... :) 

• Haha 1
Artur Araripe

We definitely wouldn't ever fly again. No one has floppy drives anymore, right? That's how the A320 gets updated irl :D

But dang, It would be quite cool, wouldn't it? :P

Just now, Artur Araripe said:

We definitely wouldn't ever fly again. No one has floppy drives anymore, right? That's how the A320 gets updated irl :D

But dang, It would be quite cool, wouldn't it? :P

Some can use a usb drive for navdata update.

• Like 1
Artur Araripe

That's cool! I didn't know.

Azul in Brazil is still rocking floppies with their A320Neos

Guess the US government is not the only one that sticks to floppy disks