Tips on how to improve performance

ibraheemnabeel

ibraheemnabeel

Hey folks, hope everyone is doing well.

Are there any tips on how to improve A320/A319 performance my specs are as follows: 16GB DDR4, Asus RTX 2070 and Intel Core I7 9700K yet I struggle between 20-25 frames in good conditions. In poor weather conditions and heavy scenery's the numbers are in 15-10 and sometimes 20. Any tips on how to improve performance are appreciated. I also want to point out that almost all the time I run FSlabs my GPU is screaming at 98% of load.

Desktop_7-31-2019_12-06-14_AM-899.png

Desktop_7-31-2019_12-06-23_AM-993.png

Stu Antonio

Don‘t want to advertise other stuff here, but this guide is pretty useful in my opinion. No guarantees though!

https://www.rdpresets.com/store/p5/The_Prepar3D_Guide_by_RD_Presets.html#/

Also it’s kinda hard to give you tips without knowing your settings. On my machine for instance the only time the GPU is screaming is when I use SSAA. So I don‘t MSAA is perfectly fine for me on a high res monitor. 

• Like 1
Holger Teutsch

The RD Guide was a great starting point for me as well. I have the same processor but only a GTX 1060 but have better frame rates. So it is possible.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3 mit Tapatalk

Rudy Fidao

You should be able to get reasonable FPS with that, my computer is weaker and I get better than you at the moment.  Exepect to turn stuff down/off (especially things that are CPU intensive like lots of extra cars being drawn in car parks of add-on scenery etc.)

Artur Araripe

20-25 frames, gpu overloaded, it can only mean one thing: not conservative enough settings-wise. Start by lowering your anti-aliasing settings, then disable cloud shadows, shadow casting on scenery, dynamic reflections maxed out (it makes any high tier GPU scream. Lower it a bit).  I get the same framerate (obviously with way inferior graphical settings), and the only thing that holds my frames back is the CPU. Plenty of headroom GPU load wise, because i always aim at 60%-70% load with normal conditions (CAVOK). Goes all the way up to 90-100% when it's cloudy and rainy, but the frames are usually the same. Gotta aim for that headroom, so that you don't get massive drops during challenging weather which would certainly affect your experience.

I would recommend going full conservative at first, lowering some sliders, and then increasing the settings one by one and comparing and then finally getting a proper understanding on which overloads CPU and which overloads GPU.

Alessandro Dallago

I've learned that high frames will never happen in our lifetime. It's not about frame rates, it's about frame time. People may argue and they're not correct. Frame rates as low as 28-30 can look relatively smooth with frame spacing. I'm currently at 26ms between each frame and it's totally fine.. now, first person shooters, that is a different story 

Get Nvidia inspector and set frame limits to a fraction of your screen refresh rate. So If your screen is 60 hz . Set your frame rate limit to 1/2 and prebuffering to 6-8 frames. 

Works for me.

Good luck

Alessandro Dallago

A320 ATP 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Phil Tereny
On 7/31/2019 at 11:38 PM, Alessandro Dallago said:

I've learned that high frames will never happen in our lifetime. It's not about frame rates, it's about frame time. People may argue and they're not correct. Frame rates as low as 28-30 can look relatively smooth with frame spacing. I'm currently at 26ms between each frame and it's totally fine.. now, first person shooters, that is a different story 

Get Nvidia inspector and set frame limits to a fraction of your screen refresh rate. So If your screen is 60 hz . Set your frame rate limit to 1/2 and prebuffering to 6-8 frames. 

Works for me.

Good luck

Alessandro Dallago

A320 ATP 

I tried your recommendations today and I have to say, P3D runs much smoother than before, and the textures are also a little bit more sharp (at least I thin so). But when you hit any switches on the flightdeck, it feels more jerky than before, and I also can't see the double flashing strobes every time.

Settings:

Frame rate limiter 30.5

Maximum prerendered frames 8

vertical sync 1/2

• Thanks 1
Artur Araripe

Set it to 30hz and also lower the resolution from 4k to 2k. The 2070 can't run the FSL A320 in 4k without struggling a tad. It's the bottleneck.

Phil Tereny
8 hours ago, Rudy Fidao said:

You can't set your monitor to 30Hz can you?  That is what a lot of people (including myself) do.

I'm afraid I can't, in the settings, the only option available is 60 Hz.

Phil Tereny
13 hours ago, Artur Araripe said:

Set it to 30hz and also lower the resolution from 4k to 2k. The 2070 can't run the FSL A320 in 4k without struggling a tad. It's the bottleneck.

or do you set that up in the NVIDIA inspector as well?

Artur Araripe

If it doesn't show up, your monitor isn't compatible with 30hz. Mine isn't. I lock at 30 on inspector and set it to unlimited ingame. Works well enough. I don't get anywhere near 30 though because my pc is a potato.

• Haha 1
David Murden

Is your 9700k running stock or overclocked? 

If not it should be good to go to at least to 4.8

CPU speed is still king in P3D.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
phil highton
On 8/3/2019 at 10:58 AM, Phil Tereny said:

I'm afraid I can't, in the settings, the only option available is 60 Hz.

Nvidia control panel , half refresh rate ( down at the bottom ), that with v sync off and TB off in sim frames unlimited = 30 GHz on a 60 GHz monitor , that's what I use, you really shouldn't be struggling with your specs