Ryzen 3700X performance figures

Artur Araripe

Artur Araripe

Hello everyone,

I'm about to build a desktop for P3D/streaming, and I was wondering if the 3700x would be a good option, compared to the 8700k and the 9900k. As it's quite recent and there are no benchmarks around with payware addons such as the FSL A320-X itself, it makes me wonder whether this new "Intel destroyer" like the media claims it to be is actually a good option for P3D. Is there any of you guys already running the 3700x?

As far as benchmarks go,  I have only seen a X-Plane 11 benchmark, and it is still behind the 9900k and the 9700k by a decent margin. So I assume it will be pretty much the same on P3D, but how far behind are we talking? A matter of 5, 10, 15 frames?

Would you guys even recommend going for AMD or it's better to just save up a little more and go for an i9 9900k?

My heart tells me: "get an i9 bruh" but my wallet  is like "please, buy whatever is cheaper and don't hurt me no more".

Also, would it be enough for stable 30 fps paired up with a RTX 2070 and with the sliders on high at least and TomatoShade enabled?

Or should I just buy an i5 9600K and overclock it to 4.9-5.0 GHz?

Disclaimer: I know the 3700X isn't anywhere near the i9 9900k or even the 8700/9700k for that matter, take it more like a price x performance ratio rather than a direct performance comparison aka "Is it that much worse or does it keep up fairly well?".

Thanks in advance,

I like to hear some benchmarks as well but I think there are none. I will be upgrading soon from 1700 to 3800x. For me investing on Ryzen payed off since I can have massive IPS upgrade with just plugging in a new CPU. But the AM4 socket is nearing to its end of life. With Zen3 it will have a new socket maybe :). So in terms of upgrade path its a dead end. The obvious choice is to say i9 for you or 9700k but there are many factors to consider. Money per performance is where AMD shines and looking at other game stats the average fps seems to be marginal. I think 3700x better compares to 9700k and 3900k compares to 9900k. The longer the game plays the lesser the margin, apparently something to do with Intel Turbo Boost not holding the high single core frequency long enough.

I think it boils down to your gut feeling. If you have the extra cash, you know Intel is the king of single core performance so just stick with that. If you want to have a PC that can be a milti-thread king than AMD is the leading CPU.

Also those additional threads will help with upcoming sims that will hopefully be better optimized for multi-thread. Whatever you chose I am sure you will hit 30fps. On my system I can run UK2000 EGLL + FsLabs A320 + Orbx + AS+ASCA around 35fps (1700x 3.7Ghz, 16gb 3400, 1tb ssd, gtx1080).

Also if you decide to go for AMD make sure you buy a very decent RAM with low timings and high clock speed.

All the best...

• Thanks 1
Artur Araripe
1 hour ago, Ugur Ates said:

I think it boils down to your gut feeling. If you have the extra cash, you know Intel is the king of single core performance so just stick with that. If you want to have a PC that can be a milti-thread king than AMD is the leading CPU.

I have been doing some research lately, and it seems like the i5 9600k is also a pretty neat option for P3D, despite not being anywhere as powerful. Not a multi-thread king, actually quite the opposite, given it only has 6 cores and no hyper-threading, but it has a 3.7 ghz base clock and a 4 ghz boost clock which is pretty impressive for the price tag. And the absence of HT is not much of a problem in Prepar3d anyway. What holds me back from getting it, though, is the sole fact that it is probably not as future-proof as the 3700x/3800x/3900x/3950x. 

The future of gaming leans towards multi-threading rather than solely single-core performance, and I feel like it would be smart to also keep that in mind as I plan to keep the same build for a while. 

Getting the 9600k would be definitely the smartest decision I could make if i were to replace my build in like one/two years max (which is definitely not the case). But as I also want to run MSFS 2020 and everything else that might come after it, i'm left with the Ryzen family and the 8700k. 

Decisions, decisions... 

But yeah, if the 1700x paired up with a 1080 gets 35 fps, i might as well go with the 3700x and the 2070 and expect something around that ballpark. Have you ever tried to stream/record? Does it affect the performance?

Because my current CPU (i7 4710) gets to its knees when I'm recording, and i lose around 5 fps (which is quite a lot considering i only get 20-25 fps).

And yea, the 9700k and the 9900k are pretty neat, but way out of my league. I sadly can't afford that (I can afford the CPU, but not a good mobo with good VRMs to allow stable OC to 5 ghz). It's far too expensive where I live and probably more than I need anyway. I just want solid 30 fps without breaking the bank.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
Felix Leverenz

I´ve recently switched to the 3900X from a 7700K because I need more power for workstation tasks. I just got around to install the sim and will let you know how the performance compares to my previous build, if I find the time.

Whats interesting to note here is that, although the Intel CPU´s still clock a tad higher, the Ryzen 3000 series more or less reaches about the same IPC (instructions per clock). Additionally you have a big advantage in programs that can utilize the high core / thread numbers. Also it´s a good bit more future-proof (much greater amount of PCI-E lanes compared to Intel + PCI-E 4.0).

But in general, even before testing, I´m quite sure that picking the 3600/3700X over the 9600K is the right decision now. The Intel platform (1151) is becoming a bit dated in my eyes.  

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Charles Harris

If you look at my Sig you'll see my specs. So far very happy with all AMD system. No overclocking but more aggressive fan settings. On a flight from KRNO to CYYC with PMDG 777F, AS4, ProATCX Orbx Global/OpenLC NA/Vector, AIG, PacSim KRNO. I got the following framerates in the VC.

Ground KRNO   40-50

Cruise                 60-70

Ground CYYC     30-40

AMD CPUs work differently than Intel. They will boost up and stay there as long as there is load on all cores. You shouldn't need to overclock as much. Having fast RAM with good timing is very important as well. I'm looking at bumping up to a 3700x as it looks like there is a big performance boost from the 2700X

• Like 1

I'm pretty satisfied/impressed with the performance so far. I didn't expect it to perform that well! Getting around 30-40 fps all the time, except in demanding sceneries and cities with a lot of autogen (drops to 25 but doesn't go any lower than that). Sliders almost all the way to the right, with dynamic reflections on high (I love tomatoshade!), 4x SMAA, 1080p. Pretty solid performance! Not to mention that I can stream without ANY performance impact. Frames are exactly the same!  CPU barely breaks a sweat at most times. 35% load on average. Lots of room for other software and stuff.

The low load would be a concern had the frames been low, which is not the case. Very happy with the headroom.

Excellent CPU for the price and definitely works well with P3D.

Charles Harris

Just dropped 3700x into my system. Cinebench and Passmark scores went through the roof compared to 2700x. Running a slight overclock on the GPU Core and Mem. haven't had a chance to test on P3D yet maybe later tonight. Quick run in Armored Warfare with all settings maxed was over 100 FPS. But we all know P3D is a different beast.

• Like 2

Hei guys,

I upgraded my system today. Running now with a 7 3700X, 32GB DRR4, GTX970 and MSI X570. When the Hotfix Updage is released I can give you some information aswell comparison with my old system.

Cheers, Jacob

probably going to drop the 9600k in my next build Z390 ( in the new year ) seems to be the sweetspot if you not streaming etc, and of course upgrade is always an option. if you plan to stream etc , I would personally get the strongest cpu you can afford ( 9900k) on mainstream platform, however I am hearing great things about ryzon 3 series ( zen is it ?) iam no expert on amd , just make sure you research thoroughly !

• 4 months later...
On 9/28/2019 at 6:19 PM, Jacob Stolz said:

Hei guys,

I upgraded my system today. Running now with a 7 3700X, 32GB DRR4, GTX970 and MSI X570. When the Hotfix Updage is released I can give you some information aswell comparison with my old system.

Cheers, Jacob

Is GTX 970 working well along with 3700X ? i have the same GPU and thinking upgrading to 3700X but I don't know should I upgrade GPU too or not ? can you give me some ideas and how about your fps with GTX 970 Thanks

Hello Khoa,

I upgraded my GPU to a GTX 2070 Super OC, before that I got about 30fps. But in heavy weather the fps droped a good amount, while the sim was still smooth enough to butter some landings. I didnt own any Orbx product back then, so the good fps was a result from basic scenery and right settings.

If you want to look your sim more realistic (I wanted Orbx for VFR flying, so I upgraded), then a better gpu would be necessary I guess. I am now running with stable 30-40fps with a lot scenery and high settings.

Cheers, Jacob