Simming in the 77's

Scott Wilson

Scott Wilson

Ooooooooo and we complain about FPS ..... LUXURY !

Imagine flying an approach into KLAX on that baby

Go on, set your FPS slider to 3 and have a go

image.png.9701d0a129e0e5b58d1544ff2d6bf7bb.png

2019-5-26_19-58-52-19.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Scott Wilson
John Price

I can never really see why anyone would bother with Flight Sims up until about FS2000. Apparently the visuals in the real Concorde simulators in the 70s/early 80s were just visual boards, basically. No idea how that worked.

• Like 1
Scott Wilson

IFR training really. Used it in the late 80's to learn VOR NAV when I was doing my ppl. Why .... it's all we had, it was terrible and I remember my gf saying I cant even make out whats on the screen. Oh come on for goodness sake can you not see thats the runway at Chicago Meigs tut tut. Texture, shdow and reflection mapping ... LUXURY :)

Scott White
5 hours ago, John Price said:

I can never really see why anyone would bother with Flight Sims up until about FS2000. Apparently the visuals in the real Concorde simulators in the 70s/early 80s were just visual boards, basically. No idea how that worked.

The simulator originally used a huge model mounted on a wall, with a moving camera.

There are some pictures of the Filton sim at this link to give an idea of the setup.

https://www.heritageconcorde.com/concorde-simulators?page_id=1688

• Like 2
Scott Wilson

That's a brilliant model of an early EGLL and seems to have been made in part by Singer UK the sewing machine people ?

I stood in the AVIS rentacar place next to the end of 27R handing a car back the night of the last BAW001 took off to new york, pushing its way ahead of the q, as it always did and setting all the car alarms off with the re-heat after it rotated, which you could feel. I thought I was being a bit of a sad anorak until I turned around and saw how many people were standing behind me. Something was lost from aviation that night, i've never forgotten it. No camera phones in those days, just a nokia 6310i.

Scott White

I was on a college field trip to North Devon during the final week of service. Me and a friend held up the group a couple of times watching for Concorde. We worked out approximate timings for  flights and made sure we would be in a good viewing position for around then. That's definitely anorak territory.

• Like 1
Scott Wilson

Stage 3 Anorak - In constant pursuit of hobby, using data and holding others up as a direct result of weight of said anorak.

At least we're not flat earthers ! Have you been on that forum; oh my. Our planet is a flat cd shaped disk with an ice wall guarded by NASA. I wonder what flight sim they use ? Probably the old doom engine as it's only 2.5d.