Peter Pukhnoy

thrust levers detents idea

Peter Pukhnoy

This seems like a great idea to me as someone with no skills to install a mechanical detent mod for the CLB and FLX detents to my Saitek quadrant. I did a test with two magnets I found at home and it seems to work great so I purchased a set of magnets online.

Capture.JPG.876ef04fbf14968a7a678d1353682e58.JPG

• Like 5

Rafal Haczek

A good idea, Peter! :)

Phil Tereny

how do you make the magnets stick to the plastic?

Koen Meier
2 minutes ago, Phil Tereny said:

how do you make the magnets stick to the plastic?

hotglue

Peter Pukhnoy

Very satisfied with the end result. I used 5 mm cube magnets with a pull of 1.2 kg. The distance between the positions either side of the detent where the lever snaps into it is about 15 mm.

• Like 1

Holger Teutsch

Works great.

Just a hint for others trying to do this: the gap between the moving and static magnet should be pretty small, around 2 to 3 mm. 

• Like 1

Peter Pukhnoy
11 minutes ago, Holger Teutsch said:

Works great.

Just a hint for others trying to do this: the gap between the moving and static magnet should be pretty small, around 2 to 3 mm. 

I did it like this:

1. First glued the lever magnets
  2. Placed the static magnets for the first detent onto the lever magnets and moved the levers into the position of that detent.
  3. Applied glue to the static magnets. I ended up using 'normal' glue (UHU max repair) because the particular hot glue that I had wasn't strong enough. To make a small gap between the magnets, I tilted the levers outwards slightly while the glue was drying using adhesive tape.
  4. Repeat 2-3 for the other two detents.

NilsUnger

Haha, cool mod! 

I have cheep consumer joystick and pedals. For a long time now I think of replacing the pots with hall sensors. The pots were the biggest problem in all the hardware I had, so far. I just can't find the time to do it. 

Peter Pukhnoy
26 minutes ago, NilsUnger said:

For a long time now I think of replacing the pots with hall sensors. The pots were the biggest problem in all the hardware I had, so far. I just can't find the time to do it. 

If buying a new joystick is an option, you could go for a T16000M which uses a hall sensor.

• Thanks 1

Luis Oswaldo Bethencourt

That's a great idea.. :)

However, let me turn the critic mode on (with FSLABS). I've owned every single A32x you can buy withing a couple of years timeframe (Aerosoft's, BBS, FF, TOLISS), and disregard of how accurate they might be, I've never had issues with any of my throttles when trying to "stick" them into one specific detent, EXCEPT for the FSLABS. It's very difficult to park the throttle into any specific position, unless i set up via mcdu a HUGE window for each detent. I mean a HUGE one. I don't have a registered version of FSUIPC, I go free on that one, so I dont know if binding the throttles via uipc would make any difference.

I am using now the saitek pro throttle quadrant but this can be extended to regular logitech joysticks (extreme 3d pro)  with a "mini throttle axis".. and it doesnt matter . I've always had real issues managing to stick both engine levers to flex or move it back to MCT.

Question: FSLABS, can you make the throttles more "sticky" ,, somehow ??!! Just look at Aerosoft .. LOL.

• Like 1

Thomas Antonovich
On 11/22/2019 at 3:12 PM, A_F_olkers said:

I just found this and ordered it - I can't wait to try it out!!! You've been happy with yours? 

Bob Zolto

On 11/22/2019 at 3:12 PM, A_F_olkers said:

I can see this working with the  FSL planes, but does it inhibit the funnction of the throttles with other airplanes, say the PMDG ones?

Thomas Antonovich
Just now, Bob Zolto said:

I can see this working with the  FSL planes, but does it inhibit the funnction of the throttles with other airplanes, say the PMDG ones?

With the Warthog throttle, you can take it out in about 10 seconds to convert back to a non-detent feel

Bob Zolto

Is there a difference between the green plastic one and the red plastic?

Thomas Antonovich
2 minutes ago, Bob Zolto said:

Is there a difference between the green plastic one and the red plastic?

Not that I can think of... and once the piece is installed you can't see it anyways so I just picked the red one cuz it was cheaper 

Conner Pierce
On 11/22/2019 at 4:12 PM, A_F_olkers said:

@A_F_olkers @Thomas Antonovich

Is this still working good? I just ordered my warthog and it will be in Tuesday. Looks like a great purchase since all I really fly is the bus!

A_ndré_F_olkers
On 3/30/2020 at 5:33 AM, Conner Pierce said:

@A_F_olkers @Thomas Antonovich

Is this still working good? I just ordered my warthog and it will be in Tuesday. Looks like a great purchase since all I really fly is the bus!

Yep still working fine :-)

Conner Pierce
20 hours ago, A_F_olkers said:

Yep still working fine :-)

Before I buy, what exactly are the detents?

I'm guessing it's idle, manual throttle, climb, flex, and toga?

Just making sure the throttle can operate freely to taxi, etc.

Thomas Antonovich
3 minutes ago, Conner Pierce said:

Before I buy, what exactly are the detents?

I'm guessing it's idle, manual throttle, climb, flex, and toga?

Just making sure the throttle can operate freely to taxi, etc.

Mine is still working as well! Got about 200 flight hours on this thing so far. My only complaint was that the Idle detent wasn't quite "tangible" enough. I filed a little bit off with a Dremel tool now and it feels just as solid as the other detents now. 

TO answer your question, the detents are: FWD Idle->Manual range->CLB->FLX->TOGA

This piece of kit is ABSOLUTELY worth the money!!!! 

Conner Pierce
3 hours ago, Thomas Antonovich said:

Mine is still working as well! Got about 200 flight hours on this thing so far. My only complaint was that the Idle detent wasn't quite "tangible" enough. I filed a little bit off with a Dremel tool now and it feels just as solid as the other detents now. 

TO answer your question, the detents are: FWD Idle->Manual range->CLB->FLX->TOGA

Glad to hear! It's on the way!

Gerard Beekmans

This Shapeway piece might be the deciding factor for me to buy a Warthog and ditch the Logitech X56 I am using today. I've been looking for.

Unless, that is, somebody else using the X56 has an idea to create detents? I'm also looking at the original idea in this post to use magnets.

Eric Fisher
On 4/1/2020 at 1:40 PM, Thomas Antonovich said:

I just ordered two of them in blue. This is so cool. How does the reverse work, like they have in that video on the Shapeway link above? 

As well, can anyone share their detent numbers from the MCDU throttle set up page for this kit?

Antti Salo

I just got one of those Shapeways pieces too. The reverse takes a bit of practise, but once you get used to it, it’s really good. You have to lift the levers very lightly to get it into the idle REV detent, and then there’s a range (although maybe a bit too small) from idle to full reverse. I use idle reverse most of the time and after a few flights i’m starting to like it.

I can try and post my detent zones later, but in general it does need quite a lot of adjusting at first. The piece isn’t really that rigid and/or isn’t a perfect fit so there is a little slack, which means I had quite a few ”uncommanded” reverser actutions and LVR ASYM messages at first. I had to enlarge the (software) detent gates quite a lot to make it a pleasant experience.

This is one of the (luckily very few) things that annoys me about the FSL bus. The default detent zones are very narrow and seem to be made for an actual Airbus hardware throttle with precise detents. With a regular throttle like the warthog they are practically unusable unless you make the zones bigger.

Eric Fisher
1 hour ago, Antti Salo said:

I just got one of those Shapeways pieces too. The reverse takes a bit of practise, but once you get used to it, it’s really good. You have to lift the levers very lightly to get it into the idle REV detent, and then there’s a range (although maybe a bit too small) from idle to full reverse. I use idle reverse most of the time and after a few flights i’m starting to like it.

I can try and post my detent zones later, but in general it does need quite a lot of adjusting at first. The piece isn’t really that rigid and/or isn’t a perfect fit so there is a little slack, which means I had quite a few ”uncommanded” reverser actutions and LVR ASYM messages at first. I had to enlarge the (software) detent gates quite a lot to make it a pleasant experience.

This is one of the (luckily very few) things that annoys me about the FSL bus. The default detent zones are very narrow and seem to be made for an actual Airbus hardware throttle with precise detents. With a regular throttle like the warthog they are practically unusable unless you make the zones bigger.

Very interesting. If you could post your detent zone numbers when you get a chance, I think many will find it useful if they use this throttle with the detent aftermarket piece. Thank you

A_ndré_F_olkers
20 minutes ago, Eric Fisher said:

Very interesting. If you could post your detent zone numbers when you get a chance, I think many will find it useful if they use this throttle with the detent aftermarket piece. Thank you

Based on my local warthog see below...

[GateControls_0]
DIS_270=2048
Min_TLA_RevMax=-10000
Max_TLA_RevMax=-9390
Min_TLA_RevIdle=-7120
Max_TLA_RevIdle=-5080
Min_TLA_Idle=-4050
Max_TLA_Idle=-3300
Min_TLA_CL=3600
Max_TLA_CL=4210
Min_TLA_FLXMCT=7870
Max_TLA_FLXMCT=8220
Min_TLA_TOGA=9440
Max_TLA_TOGA=10000
[GateControls_1]
DIS_270=2048
Min_TLA_RevMax=-10000
Max_TLA_RevMax=-9390
Min_TLA_RevIdle=-7120
Max_TLA_RevIdle=-5080
Min_TLA_Idle=-4050
Max_TLA_Idle=-3300
Min_TLA_CL=3600
Max_TLA_CL=4210
Min_TLA_FLXMCT=7870
Max_TLA_FLXMCT=8220
Min_TLA_TOGA=9440
Max_TLA_TOGA=10000

• Thanks 1

Roar Kverneng

Where to entre this?

Koen Meier

Those come straight out of the ini file called thrust levers.

Roar Kverneng

How do you operate the thrust levers to engage low reverse thrust and max reverse thrust?

Antti Salo

Here are mine. After quite a lot of tinkering these seem to work fine. As I said earlier, the piece isn't really a perfect fit and every time I take it out (to fly measly Boeings:ph34r:) and put it back, the values change a little. These gates seem to be big enough to compensate for that.

[GateControls_0]
DIS_270=2048
Min_TLA_RevMax=-10000
Max_TLA_RevMax=-9700
Min_TLA_RevIdle=-7000
Max_TLA_RevIdle=-5400
Min_TLA_Idle=-5000
Max_TLA_Idle=-3000
Min_TLA_CL=2700
Max_TLA_CL=4000
Min_TLA_FLXMCT=6000
Max_TLA_FLXMCT=8000
Min_TLA_TOGA=9700
Max_TLA_TOGA=10000

I just did some touch and gos, and just have to say this is really a great investment (even though the price with shipping is ridiculous). The tactile feedback really adds to the immersion. More focus on flying, less on fine-tuning your hardware lever position!

• Thanks 2

Antti Salo
27 minutes ago, Roar Kverneng said:

How do you operate the thrust levers to engage low reverse thrust and max reverse thrust?

As I said earlier, there is a "high notch" for moving the levers from idle to idle reverse. By high notch I mean you will probably have to lift the thrust levers a bit (or use a bit more force) and then move it back. Idle reverse is it's own notch, and from there you can just move the levers back all the way to max reverse. It takes a bit of practise but after a few landings you can't live without it. :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Philipp Quos

I think it is pretty useless to post / share the detend zones as it all depends on your specific Joystick and its wear. Plus personal taste

• Like 1

Eric Fisher
36 minutes ago, Philipp Quos said:

I think it is pretty useless to post / share the detend zones as it all depends on your specific Joystick and its wear. Plus personal taste

Disagree. If using same hardware it provides an excellent starting point but thanks for stopping by to let us know your opinion.

Philipp Quos

Well you got your opinion, I got mine.

• Thanks 1

Antti Salo
29 minutes ago, Philipp Quos said:

You do have a point and I’m not saying they’re gonna be a perfect match for everyone. But it did take me an hour or two of adjusting and flight testing to get it right. If it works for someone else and it saves even one person that hour of tinkering, I think it’s worth sharing.

• Like 1

A_ndré_F_olkers
18 hours ago, Philipp Quos said:

Well you got your opinion, I got mine.

Politeness goes a long way gentlemen also respect for dis agreement on opinions ;-)

A_ndré_F_olkers
17 hours ago, Antti Salo said:

You do have a point and I’m not saying they’re gonna be a perfect match for everyone. But it did take me an hour or two of adjusting and flight testing to get it right. If it works for someone else and it saves even one person that hour of tinkering, I think it’s worth sharing.

He has a point, but as for a starting point I shared mine which also differs from yours... So it's preference, but also local hardware plays a role...

So our settings can be a helpful starting point for others ;-)

Roar Kverneng
On 5/18/2020 at 3:58 PM, A_ndré_F_olkers said:

[GateControls_0]
DIS_270=2048
Min_TLA_RevMax=-10000
Max_TLA_RevMax=-9390
Min_TLA_RevIdle=-7120
Max_TLA_RevIdle=-5080
Min_TLA_Idle=-4050
Max_TLA_Idle=-3300
Min_TLA_CL=3600
Max_TLA_CL=4210
Min_TLA_FLXMCT=7870
Max_TLA_FLXMCT=8220
Min_TLA_TOGA=9440
Max_TLA_TOGA=10000
[GateControls_1]
DIS_270=2048
Min_TLA_RevMax=-10000
Max_TLA_RevMax=-9390
Min_TLA_RevIdle=-7120
Max_TLA_RevIdle=-5080
Min_TLA_Idle=-4050
Max_TLA_Idle=-3300
Min_TLA_CL=3600
Max_TLA_CL=4210
Min_TLA_FLXMCT=7870
Max_TLA_FLXMCT=8220
Min_TLA_TOGA=9440
Max_TLA_TOGA=10000

How do you use this? In what cfg file should I put this?

Koen Meier

In the main fslabs folder there is a file called thrustlevers.ini

Roar Kverneng

Thanks! 

On 5/18/2020 at 3:58 PM, A_ndré_F_olkers said:

[GateControls_0]
DIS_270=2048
Min_TLA_RevMax=-10000
Max_TLA_RevMax=-9390
Min_TLA_RevIdle=-7120
Max_TLA_RevIdle=-5080
Min_TLA_Idle=-4050
Max_TLA_Idle=-3300
Min_TLA_CL=3600
Max_TLA_CL=4210
Min_TLA_FLXMCT=7870
Max_TLA_FLXMCT=8220
Min_TLA_TOGA=9440
Max_TLA_TOGA=10000
[GateControls_1]
DIS_270=2048
Min_TLA_RevMax=-10000
Max_TLA_RevMax=-9390
Min_TLA_RevIdle=-7120
Max_TLA_RevIdle=-5080
Min_TLA_Idle=-4050
Max_TLA_Idle=-3300
Min_TLA_CL=3600
Max_TLA_CL=4210
Min_TLA_FLXMCT=7870
Max_TLA_FLXMCT=8220
Min_TLA_TOGA=9440
Max_TLA_TOGA=10000

Do you have settings for other Airbuses too?

Koen Meier

I believe the file is shared between all the airbuses of fslabs.

Edited by Koen Meier

Roar Kverneng

In the A330 too?

Koen Meier
1 minute ago, Roar Kverneng said:

In the A330 too?

Does fslabs offer an a330? 

Norman Blackburn
1 minute ago, Roar Kverneng said:

In the A330 too?

I think he meant our aircraft.  We have no A330.

NilsUnger
20 hours ago, Norman Blackburn said:

We have no A330.

Oh come on, sure you have. You just won't tell... 

• Haha 3