.dds file size vs performance

Hardik Ramnani

Hardik Ramnani

Greetings,

I've noticed that the file sizes of the VC textures have changed and are more smaller than before, I make custom VC textures for the fslabs A320 and when compressing and exporting the files with DTX5 compression I am unable to achieve a lower value as the original textures (this was achievable before with the old ones) any clues if slightly higher .dds file size would affect the fps with fslabs?

Regards

Jan Siebert

DXT5 won't compress any more than DXT3, it just uses a sightly different algorithm to allow for a multi-bit alpha channel. The difference in file size between the two algorithms will hardly make any difference at all provided you run them on hardware that meets the minimum specs for the render engine.

• Like 1
Hardik Ramnani
2 hours ago, Jan Siebert said:

DXT5 won't compress any more than DXT3, it just uses a sightly different algorithm to allow for a multi-bit alpha channel. The difference in file size between the two algorithms will hardly make any difference at all provided you run them on hardware that meets the minimum specs for the render engine.

Thank you!