Philipp Schwaegerl

Hoppie ACARS closed?

Philipp Schwaegerl

Hi,

I just received a telex with the information from hoppie itself. It tells us that some people ruined the ACARS and it will be shut down?

What does this mean for us?

UPDATE: Hoppie is working again. This was obviously just a "warning" for all of us, abusing the system. Please keep in mind that Hoppie is filtering every insulting TELEX.

DUE TO CHILDISH ABUSE
WE HAVE BEEN SHOWN
THAT EVEN HOBBY SYSTEMS
NEED BRAKES TODAY.
WHILE I STAPLE SOME
BRAKES TO ACARS PLEASE
USE ANY MEANS YOU HAVE
TO STOP THE JOKERS.
IT IS VERY FUNNY.
HA HA HA.
--- HOPPIE

Thanks.

Robin Locher

I got the same telex...

Matthias Knuettel

Same here, here the telex:

THE FEW PEOPLE THAT
LIKE TO RUIN EVERY-
THING HAVE FOUND US.
ACARS WILL SHUT DOWN
BECAUSE OF THEM.
THANKS TO EVERYBODY
ELSE FOR SUPPORTING
FUN FLIGHTSIM HOBBY
FOR 20 YEARS.

HOPPIE

Chris Kreuzbichler

Everyone got it but we cant be assured its from him since literally everyone can send such a message using the TELEX function in the browser

Robin Locher

All stations are offline?

John Tavendale

It came from SYS. I can only assume it's legit
unknown.png

Mark Visch

See the same. got the telex as well.seems all stations are offline now too.

Ryan Dunlop

What actually happened? I received same message on my ACARS...

Philipp Schwaegerl

Great, I guess? We JUST received the update and try to enjoy it and now this? What a sad world.

markdoyle

Basically people were sending racial slurs etc. via Hoppie ACARS. 

Just now, Ryan Dunlop said:

What actually happened? I received same message on my ACARS...

Panupong Thongthai

Same for me too

OuterMarker

That seems like an extreme measure...what happened?

Matthias Knuettel

It looks like this message was legit and the ACARS has been shut down...

Steve Feigenwinter

I sent him an email and got that:

image.png.abceb3ad50e9782f4a8308ad07004c4a.png

followed by:

image.png.2368fd0c28a32ff1938748f0f0a82323.png

---

Edited by Steve Feigenwinter
edited the screenshots as they get circulated.
  • Like 1

Ryan Dunlop

for god sake... if they did then just ignore them until a fix can be applied, bit OTT. I've flown for past 2 days straight and had no rubbish, let the kids message each other whatever they want...

• Like 1

Vimal Ana

Tell him we won't abandon it :D As long as people fly the labus or use the system for other planes, the use for it will remain!

koen meier
Just now, Vimal Ana said:

Tell him we won't abandon it :D As long as people fly the labus or use the system for other planes, the use for it will remain!

he made it, to be used by all teams participating in world flight IE simfest UK. 

• Like 1

Chris Kreuzbichler
2 minutes ago, Steve Feigenwinter said:

I sent him an email and got that:

image.png.abceb3ad50e9782f4a8308ad07004c4a.png

followed by:

image.png.4c2de647e78602a70a60ea0bb86bcd38.png

I myself wrote him a mail but you were faster it seems haha

Kian Andrews

That's disappointing, all the innovation in our sims recently was a great addition for everyone. But there are always the few who have no idea how to behave...

• Sad 1

Ryan Dunlop
Just now, Kian Andrews said:

That's disappointing, all the innovation in our sims recently was a great addition for everyone. But there are always the few who have no idea how to behave...

Unfortunately thats life, 'ignore' comes to mind...

• Like 2

Robin Locher

It was a joke

markdoyle
Just now, Robin Locher said:

It was a joke

source?

Steve Feigenwinter
1 minute ago, Robin Locher said:

It was a joke

it wasn't... hoppie confirmed it by email

Chris Kreuzbichler
2 minutes ago, Robin Locher said:

It was a joke

Just because they are online again doesn't mean it was a joke. I am sure he is going to do about it

Robin Locher

Everything is online. I get a new telex

DUE TO CHILDISH ABUSE
WE HAVE BEEN SHOWN
THAT EVEN HOBBY SYSTEMS
NEED BRAKES TODAY.
WHILE I STAPLE SOME
BRAKES TO ACARS PLEASE
USE ANY MEANS YOU HAVE
TO STOP THE JOKERS.
IT IS VERY FUNNY.
HA HA HA.
--- HOPPIE

Dmitrii Ermakov

Looks like he changed his mind and won't be shutting it down, but really the people that are abusing it should be just tracked and banned

Andrew Wilson

Well the jokes on them. There’s more logging than people realise... we’ll be assisting Hoppie in any way we can.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 7

João Gouveia

I was wondering why aren't the messages kept private between sender and receiver. Any reason for it?

Ryan Dunlop
Just now, Andrew Wilson said:

Well the jokes on them. There’s more logging than people realise... we’ll be assisting Hoppie in any way we can.

Take it Hoppie is storing IP's themselves?

Markus Burkhard
Just now, João Gouveia said:

I was wondering why aren't the messages kept private between sender and receiver. Any reason for it?

Because this is an ACARS simulation. And the real ACARS is an open network as well. 

George Peppard
1 minute ago, João Gouveia said:

I was wondering why aren't the messages kept private between sender and receiver.

ACARS works by "polling" the server every few seconds/mins for a message - they aren't pushed to the client (i.e. the aircraft). The system relies on the software retrieving messages to filter out messages that don't concern it.

Edit: someone beat me to it ;)

Zsolt Monostori

Well. My personal opinion, however, is that FSLabs and the new FSLabs innovations should not rely on a jovial system such as Hoppie, where, if the developer himself pleases to shut down, then the entire FSLabs innovation can be flushed. 

FSLabs should perhaps develop such a network themselves. Because, what if the Hoppie guy takes one childish joke too seriosuly and closes his whole freaking thing? Then, there you go FSLabs ACARS... I find this Hoppie a bit ridiculous after this closure threatening and I personally won't use it.

While it's true that idiots should be banned from any network, an immediate closure with a whining message is not the way, punishing those who use the system for what it is intended for. 

• Like 1

João Gouveia
1 minute ago, George Peppard said:

ACARS works by "polling" the server every few seconds/mins for a message - they aren't pushed to the client (i.e. the aircraft). The system relies on the software retrieving messages to filter out messages that don't concern it.

Edit: someone beat me to it ;)

1 minute ago, Markus Burkhard said:

Because this is an ACARS simulation. And the real ACARS is an open network as well. 

Thanks for the info!

George Peppard
Just now, Zsolt Monostori said:

I find this Hoppie a bit ridiculous after this closure threatening and I personally won't use it.

To be fair I don't think anyone would appreciate it if their system they had worked on for the last 20 years was destroyed in a matter of days by idiots on the internet.

• Like 4

Andrew Wilson

If the Hoppie network closes all you’d loose is the PDC and TELEX. Everything else will continue to function inside the A320.

I believe Hoppie will be introducing new security measures going forward.

• Like 2

Zsolt Monostori
Just now, George Peppard said:

To be fair I don't think anyone would appreciate it if their system they had worked on for the last 20 years was destroyed in a matter of days by idiots on the internet.

Come on man! You develop a network for 20 years and then bang, shut it down for all the loyal people who have been with you for the 20 years just because some children can't behave?

• Like 1

Dmitrii Ermakov
1 minute ago, Zsolt Monostori said:

Come on man! You develop a network for 20 years and then bang, shut it down for all the loyal people who have been with you for the 20 years just because some children can't behave?

He said he's shutting it down temporarily while they work on a fix.

Vimal Ana

Well, could have been a temporary solution until he returns back home no? Would you spend your time overseas dealing with this or with whatever you had in real life? (Vacation work trip, visiting family) @Zsolt Monostori

Zsolt Monostori
12 minutes ago, Andrew Wilson said:

If the Hoppie network closes all you’d loose is the PDC and TELEX. Everything else will continue to function inside the A320.

I won't lose anything for sure as I have not even tried it yet. I personally don't like to depend on uncertain, unreliable stuff such as this Hoppie thing. I'd rather go with Pee Emm Dee Gee's controversial Global Flight Ops, once it's out, because I can't really see them shutting it down if some child throws curses around the network. The Hoppie response to this wasn't a mature one.

I continue to enjoy the excellent FSLabs innovations without depending on unreliable 3rd (or better said, 4th) party platforms.

koen meier
3 minutes ago, Andrew Wilson said:

how is the load sheet delivered or the takeoff performance if the .top and .lsh datareq function cant been used if the system is offline?

Zsolt Monostori
9 minutes ago, Dmitrii Ermakov said:

He said he's shutting it down temporarily while they work on a fix.

No. Initially he threatened by shutting down the whole thing. I find it a pathetic, just as childish reaction.

"THE FEW PEOPLE THAT
LIKE TO RUIN EVERY-
THING HAVE FOUND US.
ACARS WILL SHUT DOWN
BECAUSE OF THEM.
THANKS TO EVERYBODY
ELSE FOR SUPPORTING
FUN FLIGHTSIM HOBBY
FOR 20 YEARS."

Steve Feigenwinter
Just now, koen meier said:

how is the load sheet delivered or the takeoff performance if the .top and .lsh datareq function cant been used if the system is offline?

It's simulated outside of the hoppie network...

Dmitrii Ermakov
Just now, Zsolt Monostori said:

No. Initially he threatened by shutting down the whole thing! I find it a pathetic, just as childish reaction!

"THE FEW PEOPLE THAT
LIKE TO RUIN EVERY-
THING HAVE FOUND US.
ACARS WILL SHUT DOWN
BECAUSE OF THEM.
THANKS TO EVERYBODY
ELSE FOR SUPPORTING
FUN FLIGHTSIM HOBBY
FOR 20 YEARS."

Good for you then. Don't use it. No need to brag about how you're not gonna use it here.

• Like 7

John Price

Just as an aside, this reminds me that an airline a relative of mine flew for had to send a message to all pilots reminding them that all ACARS messages were monitored by the company. Some crew were sending messages between aircraft slagging off the management and training captains. Whoops!

• Haha 3