Eamonn Jawhary

What Joystick and Throttle do you Guys use?

Eamonn Jawhary

Just wondering what Joystick and Throttle do you Guys use? I'm in the market for a new one as my old Thrustmaster t flight HOTAS x has broken. I would love the HOTAS warthog but its a bit too expensive for me. Any suggestions??

Stu Antonio

If you search the forum, there are several threads that discuss controllers etc. like this one a few weeks ago:

In the end, it comes down to something like this list (maybe I'm forgetting something):

Logitech:
- Attack 3
- Force 3D Pro
- Saitek X52
- Saitek X55/56

Thrustmaster:
- T16000 M
- T Flight
- Warthog

VKB:
- Gladiator

MadCatz:
- Cyborg Fly 5
- V1

I tested most of them and it really comes down to your personal liking of quality, performance, resistence, durability etc. etc. 
Maybe do a forum poll to see what's most used or liked.....? But after all, you have to just test it, no review/video can tell you really how it feels for you. 

I personally found nothing better than the good old Force 3D Pro, because I like the stiffness and compact design of it. It's not the most accurate out there but I can handle the plane(s) great with this joystick and found most of the HOTAS systems too big and way too "loose"... but that's just me :)

Good luck finding your next stick! 

BG
Stu

Marc Delaloy

Saitek ST90 low cost :D and saitek quadrant throttle. 

All the best 

Marc

Frederic Nadot

Very recently, I have sold my old X52 and have bought a 10 hours used HOTAS Warthog + throttle for 300€. I did not expect a so good feeling.

I really enjoy it.

Rob Bates

CH Products Flightstick. Simple and effective.

Matthew Webb

T16000 M joystick and 2 Saitek throttle quadrants

Scott Wilson

I have the warthog. I have owned many joysticks, not all joysticks are created equal. I have had a couple of switches stop working on my hog but was able to fix them with a bush or two. I have owned it for 4 years now and it still works 100%. The main spring in the stick I modded to be less like stiff as I was starting to get tennis elbow from playing Elite. The throttle's are just fantastic, can be split for diff thrust and all the buttons, like those in an old 747, will last forever.

From a TCJ point of view (total cost of joystick), I would eat through one every 2 years or so .... as this has lasted double, its price then is half. The big issue with cheaper units is the wiring inside. I went through two x52's like this and then box.co.uk swapped it out (I payed the extra) for the hog. Years later im still happy with it. I use it a lot and the internal wiring has never cracked or snapped off.

You will never be short of something to map something to ... It will pay for itself in the end ; honest (this was my business case to my wife).

Only downside in the winter is that stick can suck heat out your arm at a fair rate. I sometimes use my 1800C map torch to warm it up before use.

hth

• Like 1

David Murden

7 years with my Warthog and still workers perfect, yes it costs but its worth every penny. I paid £250 back in the day.

• Like 2

A_n_d_yS_o_u_y_i_o_l

T16000 M

TBH, would've liked the Warthog but Iike using the T16000M's yaw axis as a tiller for my all my tubeliners.

Throttles are Virtualfly TQ6.

Eamonn Jawhary

Just ordered an x56 hotas RGB. Should have it in about 2 weeks.

Xavi Calafell

Saitek X52 pro with thrustmaster t.flight rudder pedals. I'm quite happy by now.

Good luck with the searching

Graham Carr

I use the Warthog stick and throttles, coupled with Saitek rudder pedals.

Marco Serwatka

Im using the Saitek X56-Rhino since almost a year now and I have to say it's great looking and good built quality. However, for casual flying all the buttons and switches are a bit of an overkill. 

If you just want to fly normal airliners you probably dont need all those switches and youd be better off with something cheaper that offers you the same functionality for what you need.

+ Logitech G Saitek Pro Flight as rudder pedals, they are affordable and do the job perfectly fine for me. :)

Rob Bates
On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 11:58 AM, Rob Bates said:

CH Products Flightstick. Simple and effective.

Aaaaand it broke last night :(

Just replaced it with a T16000M FCS.

• Haha 1

Rob Bates

I had a warthog on order for 2 hours on amazon then guilt kicked in and I cancelled it in favour of the 16000M on next day delivery. Glad I did - it's more than enough and the twist and slider allow tiller and spoiler assignments. 

All in all I'm pleased.

Itay Levi

I have the t flight HOTAS x but I am thinking about buying the t flight HOTAS Warthog joystick only without the throttle.

If someone knows what are the differences between the hotas x to hotas warthog and can explain them it will be great.

Moreover, is someone tried to buy only the warthog joystick and already has the hotas x and after that tried to use the hotas x throttle as the throttle and the warthog as the joystick? Is it recommend?

Hope that my explanation of the question is understandable.

Stu Antonio

I wouldn‘t mind spending good money on high quality and sophisticated technology.... but my problem with all these fighter-hotas-setups is the size.

as I fly mostly the A320, my jostick-time ist limited to taxi/takeoff/landing/taxi. I just don‘t need a huge stick with even bigger throttle and 50 buttons. I can see why this is very handy in games like EliteDangerous or DCS. There you will need to have both hands on the controls with lots and lots of movement/manouvers, changing speeds/thrust and directions constantly.

But in a modern airliner with auto thrust and standardized landing procedures/techniques? I don‘t know..

I just want a precise, ergonomical and simple stick, not much bigger than the original (they also don‘t have 30 buttons) and not a military-style fighter-jet-monster like the Warthog or the x56 sitting on my desktop... 

Unfortunatley, there still is no (affordable and practical) option other than the clean and compact Extreme 3D Pro in my opinion. At least not that I know of.....

• Like 1

Rob Bates
2 hours ago, Stu Antonio said:

Unfortunatley, there still is no (affordable and practical) option other than the clean and compact Extreme 3D Pro in my opinion. At least not that I know of.....

And the T16000M which you mentioned in your earlier post?

Stu Antonio
30 minutes ago, Rob Bates said:

And the T16000M which you mentioned in your earlier post?

You‘re right, this one IS affordable and kinda compact. But it‘s way too loose for my taste. And the one I tested (don‘t know if that was a faulty one) had hearable and feelable grinding when I moved the elevator axis. Felt really cheap and „plasticly“. 

David Murden

Well your answering your own question to why people use the Warthog. Its not "loose" at all, it's tight has no center play and along with the throttle it's about precision. The friction of the throttle you set to your liking.

Yer right you don't need all the buttons but the ones on the stick i use all of them for chaseplane. Throttle I use flaps/landing gear/auto pilot/and TOGO(boeing) and also for out side views but not all the buttons on it are used.

Peter Pukhnoy
45 minutes ago, Stu Antonio said:

You‘re right, this one IS affordable and kinda compact. But it‘s way too loose for my taste. And the one I tested (don‘t know if that was a faulty one) had hearable and feelable grinding when I moved the elevator axis. Felt really cheap and „plasticly“. 

That's because there's not enough lube in the inner mechanism. I had to lube it myself after only a few days and now it's been smooth since. 

It is very precise and I've never had to add a deadzone because of excessive noise (it does have a small firmware deadzone though, as most joysticks do).

David Reage

I use the buttons, switches etc on my Warthog HOTAS for ATC shortcuts, chaseplane view short cuts, various things through LINDA like lights, wipers etc.

I also fly in DCS which was part of my decision to purchase it.

Leny Amarante

Please excuse myself for bring back this old thread. Hope the OP won't mind. I am also considering to purchase the Warthog side stick and throttle. I mainly want this to fly the bus only. I wonder how well the Warthog still handles today ?

Leny Amarante
On 3/24/2019 at 2:28 PM, David Murden said:

Well your answering your own question to why people use the Warthog. Its not "loose" at all, it's tight has no center play and along with the throttle it's about precision. The friction of the throttle you set to your liking.

Yer right you don't need all the buttons but the ones on the stick i use all of them for chaseplane. Throttle I use flaps/landing gear/auto pilot/and TOGO(boeing) and also for out side views but not all the buttons on it are used.

Since you own the Warthog. Can I use the side stick only without the throttle? I already own two perfectly good throttle that works perfectly for me. I am looking to purchase the  Warthog Side Stick only. I am just looking to see if it works without the throttle and not like my X52 from Saitek that need the throttle in order for the side stick to work. 

David Murden

yes it works on its own.

Leny Amarante
2 minutes ago, David Murden said:

yes it works on its own.

Thanks David just revive and old post on avsim as well. Just needed an answer before its sold out on Newegg as its the only store here in the US that sell the side stick separately . Please excuse my impatient 

Charles Harris

Warthog with MFG Crosswind pedals here.

I use the slider on the right side of the throttles as a tiller axis for PMDG and FSL aircraft. Love my MFG pedals!!!

Leny Amarante
4 minutes ago, Charles Harris said:

Warthog with MFG Crosswind pedals here.

I use the slider on the right side of the throttles as a tiller axis for PMDG and FSL aircraft. Love my MFG pedals!!!

Great thanks for sharing , I use the wheel axis on my X52 throttle for  the tiller axis for both PMDG and FSLAB. How does the Warthog behaves with the bus ?

Charles Harris

No problems at all. I use fsuipc for the throttles and deleted the throttle inputs in P3D.  All other axis and inputs I set in P3D. This allows throttles to be set for Left and right engine in a twin engine and left stick for engines 1/2 right stick  for 3/4 in a four engine aircraft.

David Gray

T16000M for the stick.  MFG Crosswind for pedals.  Saitek throttle quadrant.  happy with all of them. 

duartevieira

Warthog hotas and mfg pedals

Julian Vögt

T16000 as Sidestick, Warthog Throttle and MFG Crosswind as pedals. I am super happy with this setup. For the throttle I ordered a 3D printed detent. Its a dream. 

Julian 

Rajko Kosir

Ravcore Javelin Sidestick, Saitek X-56 Rhino Throttle, MFG Crosswind as pedals.

Leny Amarante

Thank you all for all the replys. Can't wait to test the warthog for a sidestick. Coming from the X52 from Saitek can't wait to see the difference. 

David Murden

You will not be disappointed.

If you want to invest in rudders 

TPR,s are the new benchmark below £1000.

Leny Amarante
6 hours ago, David Murden said:

TPR,s are the new benchmark below £1000.

Thanks , that is what I am looking at right now. The current rudder I have now is also from Saitek. I am looking to upgrade that as well. I am looking for a vendor in United States area so I can receive the product faster. I will have look in Newegg .

Alexander Luzajic

I got new X56...very nice feeling, but software is driving me bunkers....If I set everything in V4.5 (Throttle), than in V5 everything is opposite.... So software is some sort of junk, unless you guys have a better idea how to fix this issue. Stick is really nice and precise... 

Eric Fisher

Does the warthog joystick and throttles all go through fsuipc or do you use P3D to set everything? I see Harris mentioned a few mposts back about going through fsuipc to map the throttles and that is what I currently am doing with what I have now. 

David Murden

Yes Eric you can go though FSUIP or just set up though P3D. I just use them though P3D.

Holger Teutsch
I got new X56...very nice feeling, but software is driving me bunkers....If I set everything in V4.5 (Throttle), than in V5 everything is opposite.... So software is some sort of junk, unless you guys have a better idea how to fix this issue. Stick is really nice and precise... 
Note that V5.4 uses raw input as default while V5 uses direct input. That can be the reason.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3 mit Tapatalk

K_€_€_M___C_€_R_V_A_N_0

The T16000M has the same hall sensors as the warthog. Very durable.

Nuno M Pinto

Nice question. Are you ready for the answer?

SideWinder Precision Pro 2 Joystick: Amazon.co.uk: PC & Video Games

Not joking.

• Like 3

Igor Cunha
6 hours ago, Nuno M Pinto said:

Nice question. Are you ready for the answer?

SideWinder Precision Pro 2 Joystick: Amazon.co.uk: PC & Video Games

Not joking.

I still have mine too but I only use it to play Elite Dangerous on my laptop

They're awesome and extremely durable, have had mine for more than 20 years, survived moving to different continents twice :)

• Like 1

Leny Amarante
2 hours ago, Igor Cunha said:

I still have mine too but I only use it to play Elite Dangerous on my laptop

They're awesome and extremely durable, have had mine for more than 20 years, survived moving to different continents twice :)

My first joystick was the attack 3 joystick . I remember it only lasted me about a month or so back in fsx days. Then I would have to constantly calibrate it. It was such a pain back in those days. 

Antonio King
On 5/6/2020 at 10:54 PM, Leny Amarante said:

Thank you all for all the replys. Can't wait to test the warthog for a sidestick. Coming from the X52 from Saitek can't wait to see the difference. 

Was thinking about buying the joystick tbh. Love my Saitek56 combo, but hear good things about the warthog joystick.