Stay on fsx on new pc or not?

Danny Wright

Danny Wright

Hi all.

Last Sunday I took out my new labs 320bus for its 1st full flight EGNX/LEPA after a week of tweaking my controls and getting used to the tiller ect. So off I went (my first ever Airbus full flight)all going great till I got 8 miles from TOC an then it happened. The monitor went off tv went off but I could still hear my flight. After swapping my  gtx 780 ti out for my spare with no luck I called my pc guy to confirm my 2012 built rig was atdd so I now have a evga gf 210 in so I can at least run 4fps.

With a new pc on the way I want to ask is it worth me moving away from fsx to new platform as I have the options to make the new pc more compatable  ect .

I like fsx but I have a niggling whether im pointing in the right direction.

when I get the info on the new pc which will be changeable I will post for advice on that also.

As to my labs 320bus all I can say is what an aircraft to fly an cant wait to get back in the seat.

Cheers

Danny.

Danny Wright

I think it is bye bye FSX and hello P3D.

the specs for the new pc are

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 processor, 16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz ram, GTX1060 6 GB Graphics card, 240 GB solid state Hard Drive, 1 TB SATA III Data Hard Drive, onbourd sound, USB 2.0 & USB 3.0, LAN, DVD RW, Windows 10 64 bit.

With possible upgrades, Extra 16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz ram, 480 GB Solid State Hard Drive (instead of 240 GB), 2 TB Data Hard Drive (instead of 240 GB), RTX 2060 6 GB Grapics card.

Would any of the upgrades be worth taking as im not the best when it comes to the technical stuff.

cheers

Danny.

Sabine Meier

I don’t see much use in 32 gb of ram personally but I would definitely have an ssd of at least 500gb for p3d. A 1060 6gb is stil pretty good.

Danny Wright

Thanks for the reply koen. I will definitely be asking fot the ssd of at least 500gb. if I get it fight 1st time it saves the hassle of paying more in the long run.

All the tech stuff of GB RAM SSD ect go straight over the top of my head like an A320;) Plugging in the controls are at times a challenge for me:unsure:

Markus Burkhard

If possible you should look for a video card with more than 6GB of vRAM. P3D v4 has some features that do fill up that vRAM rather quickly. The GTX 1060 is quite old and should only be considered if it's being sold at a VERY low price, so that you can upgrade if the need arises. 

Lars Hajema
15 hours ago, Markus Burkhard said:

The GTX 1060 is quite old and should only be considered if it's being sold at a VERY low price, so that you can upgrade if the need arises. 

Markus, don't get me wrong, but do you realize that a GTX1070 8GB is already 500 euro's if you are lucky. I can understand that not everyone has that money. A 1660TI would be a good choice for only 300 euro's. (yes it does have 6BG) but frankly, if my GTX760 get's the job done with heavy weather in 30FPS and almost max autogen without a OOM, then a 1060/1660TI will have little issue's doing so. 

Have a great weekend :D

Since yesterday I have a RTX 2060 and the first impression is really good. Over the coming days I will see how much I can put my sliders to the right. The problems with dynamic lighting are history. This I can already say after my first testing. 360 € is still a lot of money. 

Lars Hajema
12 minutes ago, NilsUnger said:

360 € is still a lot of money. 

But already a lot better then 500 euro's ^_^

Danny Wright

Thanks for all the input guys, I have had a word with the guy that is building my new pc an I have been told not to worry. I told him I would be going FSX for the build but he already had another plan in hand after I told him I was going to go to p3d. I have it on word that if im not happy with the build it will be altered free of charge.  I cant ask for more than that.

All I want now is the pc here so I can get a 1st flight completed in my 320bus.:)

Ray Proudfoot

@Danny Wright, I would strongly recommend you consider the Intel i7-8700K processor instead of the AMD. The difference is significant for P3D. This is a decision that cannot be reversed later without spending a lot of money.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-8700K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-2600/3937vs3955

Lars Hajema
55 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

i7-8700K processor instead of the AMD.

Good point Ray, did not notice that! Good catch 

Ray Proudfoot

The other thing that Danny hasn’t mentioned is his monitor and resolution. Having switched recently to UHD/4K I would suggest he think seriously about that. The transformation from 1920*1080 is huge especially with virtual cockpit instruments.

A 1080Ti or equivalent is ideal for 4K. Remember, a good monitor is a long-term investment, not just for a few years.

Dont bother with the extra 16Gb of RAM, you’ll never need it. Put that money towards the best graphics card and CPU. Those are the things that matter most in P3D.

Have a look at the GTX 2070 8Gb card. Yes, it’s more than the 1060 but will give you much better performance. No point having a fast CPU but below-average GPU.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2070-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB/4029vs3639

Take your time to decide especially if you are not tech-savvy. Extra SSDs can easily be added later. Getting the core components right on a new build is critical to long-term satisfaction.

Danny Wright

Thanks for the input Ray, Some good points very well put and noted.

The new pc arrived yesterday and was put into my sons room. He likes to run farmsim , Iracing an things of a nature thet that pc will be well on top of. Beats his 2010 HP anyway.

My new rig is still a week or 2 away but I have trust in my pc guy, He has done a lot of research and by the sound of it a lot of purple note throwing;) after I told him to go no hold barred for p3d.

Ray Proudfoot

Danny, I imagine you are getting quite excited about your new machine. I appreciate the components I mentioned are more expensive than those you listed and I accept not everyone is in a position to spend lots of money on a hobby.

In PC terms there is the law of diminishing returns. Buy the fastest and it costs a fortune. Buy the next fastest and you can save a lot of money for only a modest reduction in performance.

Flight sim used to be all about the CPU. You bought the fastest you couldn’t afford as the old joke went. These days the GPU is equally important hence the need to buy a CPU and GPU that are well matched in performance.

Feel free to ask any questions before you finalise the components. I must have driven my supplier bonkers a few months back as I kept changing my mind over the GPU. I could have bought the 2080Ti but eventually decided the cost couldn’t be justified and P3D couldn’t take advantage of its advanced features like ray tracing.

I’m more than happy with the 1080Ti.

Jude Bradley

Bit of a moot point now, but I would agree with Ray.

Nvidia and Intel are a great match for Flightsims, not only Prepar3D but also X-Plane too. 

This might change when X-Plane eventually moves to the Vulkan API instead of OpenGL. 

In my humble personal system, I use a Ryzen 1700 3.7Ghz and GTX1080, I don't think I have ever seen any FPS less that 27. I regularly fly in Eropean routes departing from UK2000 EGLL which seems like a FPS killer. I moved from AS+REX to AS+ASCA which helped with enormous performance boost especially on overcast situations. I use a 4k monitor for my simulator and I find this to be ideal if you have a GPU 1080 or higher. At 4k you are bottleneck tends to be your GPU and 1080p requires more single core thus performance boost noticed in Intel processors. As mentioned before, with Dx12 and Vulkan implementations future seems to be moving towards multi core architectures. Happy flying...

• 8 months later...

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of purchasing new Graphic Card, as I'm impressed with 11GB VRam the GTX 1080 Ti has, it is hard to find in France  there are some second hand but I don't know I should or not? 

Because there are the new RTX 2060 and 2070 8GB which are a bit cheaper than the old 1080 Ti, however, they don't have a nice 11 GB Vram as 1080 Ti. and P3D consumes a lot of Vram

So guys, help me choose, thanks a lot!

Ray Proudfoot

Unfortunately the only Nvidia card with 11Gb is the 1080Ti and expensive 2080Ti. I’d be wary of buying a second hand 1080Ti as you don’t know what it has been used for. Mining possibly?

You may want to wait as there are rumours of a 3080 range which could well be cheaper than the 2000 series. https://www.tweaktown.com/news/68455/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-more-vram-way-faster-cheaper/index.html

You don’t mention your resolution but UHD would be ideal for such a card.

• Like 1
Charles Harris

As a VERY happy AMD user I can recommend a AMD set up. Sim is very stable and FPS are good day and night. Not to mention the bang for the buck vs Intel. If you have been paying attention to current events AMD has caught Intel flat footed on all fronts.

• 2 months later...
On 12/10/2019 at 7:06 PM, Charles Harris said:

As a VERY happy AMD user I can recommend a AMD set up. Sim is very stable and FPS are good day and night. Not to mention the bang for the buck vs Intel. If you have been paying attention to current events AMD has caught Intel flat footed on all fronts.

Do you think that I choose to go with 3700x,my old Gtx970 will work well with that new AMD CPU?