PMDG 747-8F UPDATE 14th Nov V2

David Murden

Hi,

I thought I would also first do a guild for people who have not got FSL Spotlight installed. Let's get started.

First go here and download the free to use FSL Spotlight 

It's like any program, just install it like you would anything else.

You will now be able to use it on any aircraft you have installed within P3Dv4. Pls, note you don't need to use it with FSL A320-A319 as its built in.

You will see within P3D in the bottom left corner of your screen a very small arrow in a box, please note this does not show if you take screenshots. 

FSL.jpg

When you load the 747-8F within the sim, click on the arrow. You will now see the control panel.

FSL-panel.jpg

As you can see in the first screenshot above you just click on the "Active" below the title for the light you wish to use. 

Tip# When you open it you cannot see the controls to darken or brighten the lights. Look for the little white line I've marked with the red arrow, mouse over it and drag it left to look like the second image.

Now when you mouse over the "brightness line you can see (picture 3) a "-" "+" and a "DOT" the number on the brightness line is the amount it's set to (0-100) You can click the "-" or "+" to change the level or.........mouse over the "DOT" hold down your left mouse button and you can drag a red line out. Now you can "drag" the brightness by moving your mouse. the two grey lines you see are the range you can use (0-100).

To use my FSL Spotlight PMDG 8F ini, you will have to download the profile at the bottom of the page and drop it within your PMDG aircraft folder.

Folder-install.jpg

That's it!

Now to the profile.

EDIT NEW Version V2 new lighting with ambient light and new colour. ALL Screenshots below updated new v2 ini at the bottom. Enjoy!

First, just screenshots showing just the new lighting.

Radio flood light

Radio.jpg

Reading lights

Reading-lights.jpg

Panel Lighting, pls note I did not make captain and first officers independent as I always end up setting them the same anyway.

panel.jpg

Now with ambient lighting view from Captain's seat. Note light hitting the back of yokes. As it would IRL.

panel-amb-lighting.jpg

I use the build in backlighting and here is how I set it.

Back-lighting.jpg

With that set.

The MCP panel light.

MCP.jpg

The overhead with Dome light on

Overhead.jpg

Chart light.

Chart-light.jpg

I hope you enjoyed!

The profile is below.

PS you know it's me as I spelt panel wrong but if you ever see a post with no spelling mistakes you know I've been hacked. :) 

FSLSpotLights.ini

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
Michael Petersen

Thanks David , really nice explained.

Just one question . Its it only a software to adjust the brightness ? or do you have kelvin changes as well ?

Thanks , apreciated

Michael Moe

1 hour ago, Michael Moe said:

Thanks David , really nice explained.

Just one question . Its it only a software to adjust the brightness ? or do you have kelvin changes as well ?

Thanks , apreciated

Michael Moe

You can make the light whatever colour/Kelvin you like when you make the lights but within the sim, you cannot change that. If i made one for the 400 and i won't, it would have far warmer lighting as per the looks in real life, the -8 is far more up to date in more ways than one.

• 2 months later...
Russell Gough

I installed to my FSX/PMDG 738. Dome light worked, dim but fine. MCP lights were visible but shone no light on MCP at all. So sadly were unusable in the plane. Much more of an issue was that very annoying flashing arrow symbol on my screen. Can you turn this off as surely the Lights Manager can be run on a different monitor so having an immersion killer on my screen can be avoided? Uninstalled spotlights for now as that flashing arrow is making me very annoyed!

Hi Russ.

A few things. This is the PMDG 747-8, not the PMDG NG.

In the instructions, it points to P3D Spotlight DL as it was made for P3D v4.x, not FSX. So not only might you have DL the wrong version of Spotlights you also might be using a 747-8 profile for an NG?

If you want to try and use it with FSX I can't say it will work, but you need the FSX version of Spotlight and if installed properly the arrow does not flash, unless that's an FSX thing?

Also, note these lights will not work in the 600 or 700 and there is no guaranty they will work at all with FSX. Sorry.

Russell Gough
On 1/18/2019 at 8:41 AM, David Murden said:

Hi Russ.

A few things. This is the PMDG 747-8, not the PMDG NG.

In the instructions, it points to P3D Spotlight DL as it was made for P3D v4.x, not FSX. So not only might you have DL the wrong version of Spotlights you also might be using a 747-8 profile for an NG?

If you want to try and use it with FSX I can't say it will work, but you need the FSX version of Spotlight and if installed properly the arrow does not flash, unless that's an FSX thing?

Also, note these lights will not work in the 600 or 700 and there is no guaranty they will work at all with FSX. Sorry.

I replied in this thread as it was the lights themselves not working not the airplane variant.

I used the correct FSX link in the AVSIM thread.

I used the 800 WL correct ini.

I didnt use a 600/700/900 I used the exact aircraft as specified.

If there is no guarantee they will work with FSX as they have not been tested it needs to state clearly in the FSX thread that this is the case please! Have posted this reply there too.

The Tag says P3D, I don't even own FSX hence why the tag says P3D not P3D & FSX

Even the guild points to the P3D version of Spotlights not the totally different FSX version.

As for the post on AVSIM I cannot edit the title. But here were the link takes you it's tag clearly says P3D.

So to be clear there is no mention anywhere referring to it working in FSX. Sorry.

• 5 months later...
Ivan -Planes- Lewis

Wow!!! I know this is an aged threat but hugely useful. Many time using FSLSpotlights but now, after seen what can be done whit it, it's when I really understand that amazing tool possibilities. Thanks David for such amazing work!!!

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
David Murden
On 7/9/2019 at 12:45 PM, Ivan Gonzalez Lewis said:

Wow!!! I know this is an aged threat but hugely useful. Many time using FSLSpotlights but now, after seen what can be done whit it, it's when I really understand that amazing tool possibilities. Thanks David for such amazing work!!!

Thank you.

phil highton

David you really are an asset to this and other forums my friend we are lucky to have you here ;)

• 2 months later...
On 8/22/2019 at 10:31 PM, phil highton said:

David you really are an asset to this and other forums my friend we are lucky to have you here ;)

Very kind of you Phil, thank you.

• 1 month later...

@David Murden you might remember me, I edited your Spotlights profile PMDG 737-800 to include all variants. Now I have done the same for the PMDG 747-400, the lights have been given the corresponding position values to suit the -400 cockpit. I have also edited the color to closer match the warmer light in the -400. May I share them here and give you credit?

Default ↓

2019-11-30_18-9-59-697.thumb.png.a781437471d563495d52f83faf2dd394.png

FSL Spotlights ↓

2019-11-30_18-10-24-913.thumb.png.aaaae9e8ead1dcfb5a91f7db8f026579.png

Default ↓

2019-11-30_18-12-37-41.thumb.png.7755c715b05a6bf24ab01109ff7bb3ed.png

FSL Spotlights ↓

2019-11-30_18-12-54-40.thumb.png.2be91957ea1073988bbd72bea881b056.png

On 11/30/2019 at 5:25 PM, joherszch said:

@David Murden you might remember me, I edited your Spotlights profile PMDG 737-800 to include all variants. Now I have done the same for the PMDG 747-400, the lights have been given the corresponding position values to suit the -400 cockpit. I have also edited the color to closer match the warmer light in the -400. May I share them here and give you credit?

you can, thank you very much for your work.

Thank you @David Murden!

Just unzip to the Prepar3D v4\SimObjects\Airplanes folder for installation for all variants (400, 400BCF, 400D, 400ER, 400ERF, 400F, 400M).

Credit goes to David Murden (Nyxx) for the amazing work, I have only edited the lights to the corresponding position values to suit the -400 cockpit and edited the color to closer match the warmer light in the -400. 

FSL Spotlights PMDG 747-400 all variants.zip