Peter Pukhnoy

recommended Active Sky settings

Peter Pukhnoy

I tried to use the settings recommended in the Introduction Guide because sometimes I would get AP-disconnecting turbulence even when flying in areas where the radar showed no returns. I set up a custom cloud layer with the maximum level of turbulence and the resulting output was no turbulence at all (I watched the debug window in AS). 

I wonder whether you intended to have zero turbulence with the recommended settings. I personally want to have turbulence, because otherwise what's the point of avoiding weather, but I just don't know how to set up AS to have realistic turbulence and radar returns.

I tried to find out what the AS sliders actually do because they're not explained very well in the documentation and here's what I found:

The turbulence effect scale slider: Internally, AS has five discrete levels of turbulence before the three sliders are applied (none=0, light=0.25, moderate=0.5, heavy=0.75, severe=1). The slider multiplies the turbulence value, where the multiplier is the value of the slider divided by 35. Regardless of the setting, the maximum turbulence will not exceed 1.

The maximum cloud turbulence slider is a multiplier for the maximum cloud turbulence level after the effect scale slider is applied. It is a bit confusing because it effectively has only 5 discrete values even though you can set any value from 0-100. 0-39 is 0, 40-59 is 0.25, 60-79 is 0.5, 80-99 is 0.75 and 100 is 1.

I'm not sure whether the maximum wind turbulence slider does anything at all because it had no effect on the maximum wind turbulence level in my custom weather theme.

For example, you set your turbulence effect scale at 30. 30/35 =0.85. Severe turbulence will now have a value of 0.85, heavy will be 0.75*0.85 etc. If you set the maximum cloud turbulence anywhere between 80 and 99, the maximum turbulence inside clouds will be capped at 0.75*0.85. 

I hope this explanation will help others in setting up AS.

EDIT: I updated some wrong info about the sliders.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Peter Pukhnoy

Now I'm not actually sure if it's the turbulence that is the problem or the up- and downdrafts close to CBs. From what an AS developer says here it is clear that AS will simulate heavy up- and downdrafts if you fly closer than 20 miles to CBs  with the "realistic up- and downdrafts" option enabled. I've seen a couple of youtube video where pilots fly closer than 20 miles so I've always ignored the suggestion that you shouldn't fly that close to CBs. Of course, I'm not a real pilot so maybe there's more to it, but perhaps AS exaggerates the simulation of up- and downdrafts around CBs a tiny bit?

Peter Pukhnoy

In conclusion:

I think the "realistic" up/downdraft simulation near thunderstorms isn't realistic and you should turn it off.

Severe turbulence won't disconnect the A/P on its own, but I suspect that its simulation near severe weather is also exaggerated. You can either limit the turbulence or scale down all turbulence levels. Neither option is good because with the former you will never get severe turbulence and with the latter lower levels of turbulence may be toned down too much. I personally choose to limit the maximum turbulence by 25% (maximum cloud turbulence slider between 80 and 99), because I use EZCA and it requires you to set the effect scale slider to 35 to have the DHM effects synced correctly.

By the way, the "realism" mode setting of 70 for the effect scale slider makes "light" turbulence half the maximum turbulence and everything above light will be the maximum. Very realistic indeed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Alan Dominguez

thank you for this. I just flew to KDCA yesterday and I almost crashed 3 times on approach, the aircraft behaves extremely violent whenever there is turbulence. I will now turn that off.

M_i_k_e_V_o_g

I also tend to agree with Peters observations. 

Flying near or in the green edges of a thunderstorm will result in pretty violent shakes with Vs variations of up to 1000 or more ft/sec  - without AP disconnections but busting the set altitude by 1000 feet in one case.

Peter Pukhnoy
On 7/21/2018 at 4:16 PM, Peter Pukhnoy said:

The maximum cloud turbulence slider is a multiplier for the maximum cloud turbulence level after the effect scale slider is applied. It is a bit confusing because it effectively has only 5 discrete values even though you can set any value from 0-100. 0-39 is 0, 40-59 is 0.25, 60-79 is 0.5, 80-99 is 0.75 and 100 is 1.

Here's a demonstration for that: