P3Dv4 Performance Settings - So many opinions and "facts"

Stu Antonio

Stu Antonio

Hello.

So I recently swiched from FSX to P3D v4 three weeks ago. Finally. I thought this would end the "Spend-more-time-tweaking-than-flying-Effect". I was mistaken. 

I've read so many articles by now (also the one here about high performance not beeing FPS) on several sites and I'm getting more confused by every article.
I know that there's no silver bullet and that every system is different, I'm well aware of the fact that the A320X is a very demanding piece of software and that there are lots of opinons and likings out there. But what about the "facts" regardless of system setup? For example:

- Some people say, vsync should be off, others say you should turn it on. What's true?

- Many recommend to use Nvidia Inspector (and set it to 1/2 refresh rate). Others say NVI doesn't work in v4.

- Many (even Lockheed itself) suggests different p3d.cfg-tweaks and additional entries (including affinity mask), others (like FsLabs) say it's either bad, obsolete or simply does nothing to improve performance.

- Some say you should quit tweaking once and for all, others recommend dozens of cfg-entries and tools like process lasso or PTA.

Why is it so hard to get this thing working the best way possible on my machine? Why do I have to read dozens of articles, guides, forum topcs etc., looking for the correct ways to set up nvidia, p3d.cfg and in-game settings, spend night after night testing and tweaking and not flying?

"Because every system is different" most of you will say. And it's true. But so many things are explained by technical and mathematical "rules" (vsync, refresh rates, CPU and GPU performances), why are there so many different statements? It's frustrating to me. Always fearing that my current setting is totally wrong/bad/crazy because "you should ALWAYS turn off vsync" or "you should NEVER use unlimited framerates" and so on..... IS the inspector working with v4 or ISN'T it working? 

Furthermore, most of the guides are outdated or obsolete. That makes it hard to know what I really need and what not. 

I don't want to complain or write angry rants, I'm just seeking for an up-to-date guide on what to tweak and what to leave as it is because software-code-wise it has no effect.An explaination on why I should or should not use vsync (I get massive screen tearing without btw). 

So is there a guide out there that I can trust and rely on? 

BG

Stu

PS: My specs: i7 2600k on 4.3 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1070, 60 Hz Monitor (no 30 Hz available) , Win10, Using FTX base and lcEU, REX4, AS for P3D. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Miguel Leandro

Good day Stu,

I'm one of those who spend more time flying than tweaking.

I don't change nothing on Nvidia, CFGs...

Just be careful with the sliders, trying to find your own balance regarding visuals and performance.

Happy flights.

Stu Antonio

Hi Miguel,

and here we go, what does „change nothing“ mean? Put the Nvidia-Slide to „best performance“? .... let the apication decide? ..... Vsync to adaptive/fast/half/3d-app?

Miguel Leandro
2 hours ago, Stu Antonio said:

Hi Miguel,

and here we go, what does „change nothing“ mean? Put the Nvidia-Slide to „best performance“? .... let the apication decide? ..... Vsync to adaptive/fast/half/3d-app?

Nvidia control panel, with Prepar3d profile just change the Power management mode to maximum performance.

The other settings by default.

Zdenek Cebis

Hello Stu I’m totally with you on this and this is why I haven’t switched ether.See correct me anyone if I’m wrong but p3d are constantly upgrading and changing their platform and every time they do that It stuffs up something in the A320 workings and than the devs have to adapt the a320 to that change to make it work as so it goes on.Pmdg has the same problem as I read there forum but with the fsx been complete”” platform is a better and more stable in running the A320 than the p3d as i know already what to look for if something stops working as I know already it’s the fsx.

Zdenek Cebis.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bill Barrette

My own opinion is that a lot of this tweaking stuff you are reading about is generally from people trying to get the sim to run at higher settings than their system is really capable of. There are also always those people trying to tweak every last frame out of their system that they can. I don’t use Inspector at all, have no tweaks to the P3D.cfg, set max performance, shaders off, and single screen in the nVidia panel with all else default and that is it. Adjusted my sliders ( mostly to the right, Vsync and FSAA off etc.) to give me good performance and just fly. After getting sliders where I wanted them (does take a bit of experimentation at first), the only thing I change in flight now is 8X SSAA to 8xMSAA at night due to dynamic lighting. With the A320, I run at 8XMSAA, mipmap on even during the day when landing lights are on. This is the first simulator that I could do this with and the A320 flies beautifully. I spend most of my time flying and almost no time tweaking...or reading about tweaking, something I came to despise with FSX.  A blessed relief indeed.

You can make this as complicated or simple as you want. I prefer simple. Just take it one step at a time.  If you want to overdrive your system though, it is going to get complicated quickly.

I use P3Dv4.2 by the way with AS4, GSX, GEX, UTX, Pilot’s mesh PMDG, FSLabs, etc., vPilot, UTLive, Saitek yoke and pedals and all run great. I have a good i7700K system with a GTX980 card, so not top of the line currently, but pretty good.

Good luck.

Bill

Stefan Vollstedt

With my Setup (I7-3770 and GTX970) I deleted all tweaks out of the P3Dv4 cfg. I use for FSLabs graphics settings which are quite in the middle of everythin and for all other planes I put all sliders nearly at 75-80% right.

No problems at all. Stable FPS and I noticed even better overall performance than in v3.

So I think you can do such tweaks and gain maybe the last few FPS out of your system or you can only use the settings in game.

Nevertheless v4 is a quite stable simulator so there are (in general) no CTD anymore (ok depends on the plane you use :D) and yeah OOM is no problem anymore.

A_n_d_yS_o_u_y_i_o_l
16 minutes ago, Stefan Vollstedt said:

With my Setup (I7-3770 and GTX970) I deleted all tweaks out of the P3Dv4 cfg. I use for FSLabs graphics settings which are quite in the middle of everythin and for all other planes I put all sliders nearly at 75-80% right.

No problems at all. Stable FPS and I noticed even better overall performance than in v3.

So I think you can do such tweaks and gain maybe the last few FPS out of your system or you can only use the settings in game.

Nevertheless v4 is a quite stable simulator so there are (in general) no CTD anymore (ok depends on the plane you use :D) and yeah OOM is no problem anymore.

+1

Stu Antonio

Thanks for your opinions and comments guys, I really apreciate it and I get the feeling that I should forget about all those tweaks and just enjoy the sim at basic settings and the performance my system can provide. Nothing more, nothing less. 

Also, I don't really experience any difference when I tweak settings or even modify the in-game- settings. I don't know why, maybe there's a hughe bottleneck in my system that I'm not aware of, but for instance when I approach a large add-on airport in the A320, my fps go down to about 20-25 (I never ever got over 40 inside the cocpit), shadows on or off, MSAA oder SSAA, terrain settings full right or all in the middle, vsync on or off..... IT DOESN'T MATTER, the fps just do not change! .... the only thing that is really changing something ist turning autogen copletely off. 

Anyway, I will get rid of NVI and stick to the control panel with a fresh p3d.cfg.... and just be happy with whart I get :)

Thanks,

Stu 

Norman S Bowman

I have used the LM settings which appear when you first install P3Dv4.

I then used the FS labs settings and after that just played the sliders until I balanced my system.

All running smooth.

Stu Antonio
15 minutes ago, Norman S Bowman said:

I have used the LM settings which appear when you first install P3Dv4.

I then used the FS labs settings and after that just played the sliders until I balanced my system.

All running smooth.

„LM“ settings?

edit: got it. 

Stefan Vollstedt
2 hours ago, Stu Antonio said:

Thanks for your opinions and comments guys, I really apreciate it and I get the feeling that I should forget about all those tweaks and just enjoy the sim at basic settings and the performance my system can provide. Nothing more, nothing less. 

Also, I don't really experience any difference when I tweak settings or even modify the in-game- settings. I don't know why, maybe there's a hughe bottleneck in my system that I'm not aware of, but for instance when I approach a large add-on airport in the A320, my fps go down to about 20-25 (I never ever got over 40 inside the cocpit), shadows on or off, MSAA oder SSAA, terrain settings full right or all in the middle, vsync on or off..... IT DOESN'T MATTER, the fps just do not change! .... the only thing that is really changing something ist turning autogen copletely off. 

Anyway, I will get rid of NVI and stick to the control panel with a fresh p3d.cfg.... and just be happy with whart I get :)

Thanks,

Stu 

Yeah that's also with my rig. Approached Flytampa EHAM yesterday, FPS around 25 so barely fluid...
But that's normal, the FSLabs A320 is compared to any other Addon plane quite complex and deeply simulated. That's why I mainly fly to mid size airports. In P3Dv4 you don't have to get 60FPS or more to get a fluid feel. Even with TrackIR 25FPS feel completely smooth.

Aaron Lee

Here's a fix for that. I invested in XP-11 and fly that too. I don't tweak, I don't fiddle with behind the scene obscure settings. I load up great Ortho scenery and complex planes, yes, there are very solid Airbus models for XP, and I just FLY! Lowest FPS I see are in the Hi teens, low 20s. Most of the times, above 30-40 and most importantly, smooth.

I'll admit my P3D is pretty smooth with FSL A320 so I don't really have any complaints. It is for sure a step up for me from FSX. I bought XP before diving into P3D and it was a monumental improvement from that platform. I'll agree with most here. I don't tweak my P3D. I'm over that noise from the FSX days. I literally bought P3D because of the FSL A320. That is my reference. As long as that aircraft flies smoothly and provides the amazing experience it does, nothing else matters to me! :)

Aaron

Stu Antonio
1 hour ago, Aaron Lee said:

Here's a fix for that. I invested in XP-11 and fly that too. I don't tweak, I don't fiddle with behind the scene obscure settings. I load up great Ortho scenery and complex planes, yes, there are very solid Airbus models for XP, and I just FLY! Lowest FPS I see are in the Hi teens, low 20s. Most of the times, above 30-40 and most importantly, smooth.

I'll admit my P3D is pretty smooth with FSL A320 so I don't really have any complaints. It is for sure a step up for me from FSX. I bought XP before diving into P3D and it was a monumental improvement from that platform. I'll agree with most here. I don't tweak my P3D. I'm over that noise from the FSX days. I literally bought P3D because of the FSL A320. That is my reference. As long as that aircraft flies smoothly and provides the amazing experience it does, nothing else matters to me! :)

Aaron

Well, tbh that‘s not really a „fix“ and definately not an option for me. I truly considered „the other sim“ but for numerous reasons I chose P3D. And after spending several hundred bucks on addons now, I don‘t think I will switch to XP anytime soon. 

After a lot more of testing and trying different suggestions, I can now say that tweaking the cfg or via NVI did nothing for me. It‘s always the same. I get around 60fps with default aircraft and maxed out settings, only 25-30 with the FSL A320 (but 60fps when on the external cam). So I guess there‘s nothing more to do, the A320 flightdeck is just extemely compllex and demanding,. I now run a basic setup of the standard nvidia control panel and changed the P3D settings to a good medium. Autogen was always the biggest performance killer in my tests. Everything else didn‘t change much. 

I hope I will get back to flying and can just forget about the whole tweaking madness... :)

stu

Aaron Lee

A bit tongue in cheek on the "fix" part for sure and totally agree with you on spending on another sim. I took the plunge but honestly glad I did. I will stay with P3D for sure but won't build up a huge investment in add-ons like I did with FSX. I'm just feeling that 25-30 frames are acceptable to me as long as those frames are smooth.

Aaron

Norman S Bowman

Stu,

If you live by your last statement you will not regret it!

I was told many years ago that the more you tweak the more problems you can create for yourself.Inore the frame counter and go for smoothness.

Happy flyingt

Jose_Monteiro

Here only, as suggested by others:

.) In Nvidia, preffer max performance under Power Management;

.) In P3Dv4.2 2xmsaa, 16 AF, unlimited fps, no Vsync, 1024 textures, no shadows, no autogen buildings or trees, scenery detail at high, water detail low. 

.) In FSlabs sounds in the savy option;

.) I have HDR on, but I didn't install "Spotlights" because I do not use other than rw lights illuminate ground;

I use only ORBX FTX Global, Madeira X Evo, ASP4 and ASCA.

My i5 2500 @ 3,3 Ghz and GTX 960 runs FSLabs A320 better than I run all my airbus models in XP11...

For the A320, P3Dv4 is definitely my choice platform, and the FSLabs my choice for the best Airbus modelling. I have anywhere close to the same experience when it comes to factors that really matter to me, like weather depiction and quality weather injection like those provided by Active Sky and ASCA.

Should I decide to add AI Traffic and ATC to the equation, again P3Dv4 would become the best choice.

I will move some of the sliders right, and consider additional airports / mesh / scenery if I ever do a PC upgrade into something supporting it, and I'm sure it is possible to really have all the bells & whistles with this aircraft since it is really smooth in it's present version, even in 3d cockpit.

Stu Antonio

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Meanwhile, I managed to reach a very satisfying level of performance.

I got rid of all cfg-tweaks and Nvidia Inspector, bought ENVTEX and ASCA (wich helped a lot in terms of performance AND visuals) and kept a moderate mix of settings with shadows, "normal" autogen and moderate texture resolutions.vsync on (otherwise I get extreme screen tearing which I hate) and HDR on. The (and this was the key) I overclocked my i7 2600k to 4.5 MHz (I have good cooling so the CPU stays below 75°). 

Standing on the ground at for example Aerosoft's LEPA, using Ultimate Traffic Live, I get up to 60fps in the A320 cold and dark, and around 40 when fired up. Nice and smooth.

BG

Stu

• 1 year later...
Dennis Korolevych

By now there is actually a guide made by "RD-Presets"
I dont have it but I might get it.
However tbh I got rid of pretty much any tweak I had and look, my sim runs far more smooth than before. Tweaks might help but Im sure that most of the time its either an illusion or simply luck. Rather use some good hardware (i7 6700k with 1060/1070 and some 16 gb of ram) and you wont need any tweaks.

Of course some smart in-sim settings will help a lot. The only tweak I am using it the "prefer max performance" within the nvidia control panel.

Im running at 30 fps with the fsl at flytampa sceneries with moderate settings.

Gonna upgrade my cpu (currently i54670k to the i76700k and 16 gb ddr ram). It will finally complete my optimal build.

Stu Antonio
4 minutes ago, Dennis Korolevych said:

By now there is actually a guide made by "RD-Presets"
I dont have it but I might get it.
However tbh I got rid of pretty much any tweak I had and look, my sim runs far more smooth than before. Tweaks might help but Im sure that most of the time its either an illusion or simply luck. Rather use some good hardware (i7 6700k with 1060/1070 and some 16 gb of ram) and you wont need any tweaks.

Of course some smart in-sim settings will help a lot. The only tweak I am using it the "prefer max performance" within the nvidia control panel.

Im running at 30 fps with the fsl at flytampa sceneries with moderate settings.

Gonna upgrade my cpu (currently i54670k to the i76700k and 16 gb ddr ram). It will finally complete my optimal build.