Future P3D upgrade pricing

Rick Brown

Dear FlightSimLabs,

as a potential customer, I wonder if you could shed some light on your likely pricing model going forward.  I understand that P3D V4 represented a lot of effort for developers to adapt their product to the new code base, and as such I can understand the cost of the P3D v3 and P3D V4 versions being the same, in effect meaning that anyone wanting to operate the software in both environments pays for each at the full price.  My question is whether you see yourselves continuing with this model through future iterations of P3D e.g. V5, V6 etc.  I understand that it is  quite a loaded question for you to answer, as you can't know what changes each major iteration will bring, and therefore how much work it will entail, but I think it's probably safe to say that they are unlikely to represent the level of rework that the 32 to 64 bit transition entailed.

The reason I ask is that, with Lockheed Martin rolling out a version level upgrade roughly every year to year and a half (I think), the cost for myself (and I suspect a lot of other simmers) of paying the full price at that periodicity might be more than I can afford, and much as I regard your software as highly desirable, your response to this question will have a large influence on my purchasing decision.

Please understand that I am only trying to establish the long term 'cost of ownership'.

Kind regards

Rick Brown

• Like 1
Lefteris Kalamaras

Hello Rick,

we don't have a pricing schedule set for future versions of Prepar3D (v5 and onwards) as we have no idea what that future holds. We don't even know that Prepar3D will receive a v5 or whether that will come in a year, year and a half, five, ten or twenty years.

Sorry if we can't be more helpful at this time!

• Like 2