Concorde Lighting

alanbyrne94

alanbyrne94

My roof overhead panel dome lights work perfect after loading the aircraft however they seem to turn off 10 -15 mins later while i go through  my flows. am i losing power to them ? i cant figure it out because they still dont work once my engines start. the only lights i have that work are the pilot and co pilot panel lights.. can anyone assist me 

• 2 years later...
Ray Proudfoot

I’m resurrecting this topic as I’m having the same problem of the Storm lighting switching off during the setup flight procedure.

I ‘think’ it’s happening when the FE’s upper and lower panels are displayed. No amount of turning the storm lighting on / off will restore the original level of lighting.

Because Spotlights is not compatible with P3D v3.4 and we know LM will never fix that bug the supplied lighting with Concorde-X becomes even more important. The virtual cockpit becomes very dark even with the sun low down and nighttime flights are not possible for me.

I know Lefteris intimated 1.41 would be the last update but if he has time to investigate this and a fix isn’t too much effort perhaps it could be sorted please.

@alanbyrne94and @Mirza Beg don’t say if it’s with FSX or P3D. For me it’s P3D.

Ray Proudfoot

No, it's not the FE's panels causing the problem. I loaded a saved flight holding short 27L at EGLL and turned the overhead Storm lighting on. There are three levels - off, low and high.

After take-off I'm now over the English Channel supersonic enroute to Las Palmas and the storm lighting is fine. Maybe something to do with starting C&D??

Ray Proudfoot

Hmmm. 5 minutes after I type the post above and the storm lighting is barely changing now between off, low and high. Altitude perhaps? Anyone else seeing this?

Ray Proudfoot
8 minutes ago, Fraser Gale said:

@Ray Proudfoot are you using the normal flight deck lighting as well as the storm floods?  Can you see instrument lighting and panel flood lighting normally? 

I have tried those and they work. It's the Storm lighting that stops functioning after a certain period of time whether starting C&D or loading a saved flight. The two levels of light brightness plus off are very obvious when the aircraft is first powered up. But after a period of time the Storm light simply stops working and is extinguished. This makes seeing instruments in low light very difficult.

I've had the problem for a while and after searching the forum came across this topic which matches my situation and hasn't been answered by FS Labs. I really want to fly the LHR-JFK route just after sunset to see a western sunrise but unless this is fixed that just isn't a possibility.

Do you use the default lighting or Spotlights?

Fraser Gale
5 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I have tried those and they work. It's the Storm lighting that stops functioning after a certain period of time whether starting C&D or loading a saved flight. The two levels of light brightness plus off are very obvious when the aircraft is first powered up. But after a period of time the Storm light simply stops working and is extinguished. This makes seeing instruments in low light very difficult.

I've had the problem for a while and after searching the forum came across this topic which matches my situation and hasn't been answered by FS Labs. I really want to fly the LHR-JFK route just after sunset to see a western sunrise but unless this is fixed that just isn't a possibility.

Do you use the default lighting or Spotlights?

Default only. 

I must confess I never use the storm lighting - it is only for exceptional flightdeck brightness against lightening or St. Elmo's fire.  

Can you really not see the instruments with the internal lighting and the panel floods at captain/FO/EO station turned right up?  If not then it sounds more like that's the defect rather than the storm lighting. 

Ray Proudfoot

Whilst I can turn up the lighting for the AFCS and individual gauges the rest of the flight deck becomes quite dark when the sun is within an hour of setting. The lighting in P3D is not brilliant. Do you have FSX? Maybe that's better. P3D v3 with DX11 lighting introduces things not visible in FSX.

The fact that the storm lighting is extinguished after a certain period of time indicates a bug.

My monitor is calibrated and is fine with other aircraft. Whether storm lighting was rarely used in the real aircraft is not really relevant in a sim. If there is a switch to turn on a light then it should remain on until turned off. It doesn't.

Fraser Gale
1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Whilst I can turn up the lighting for the AFCS and individual gauges the rest of the flight deck becomes quite dark when the sun is within an hour of setting. The lighting in P3D is not brilliant. Do you have FSX? Maybe that's better. P3D v3 with DX11 lighting introduces things not visible in FSX.

The fact that the storm lighting is extinguished after a certain period of time indicates a bug.

My monitor is calibrated and is fine with other aircraft. Whether storm lighting was rarely used in the real aircraft is not really relevant in a sim. If there is a switch to turn on a light then it should remain on until turned off. It doesn't.

No, I ditched FSX years ago, P3dv3 for Concorde and P3dv4 for everything else.  

Whilst I agree with your point, has this only just shown up now?  At the end of the day we all have to accept that things like this along with the wandering MMo bug are not going to be looked at now. I'm guessing this hasn't had much discussion before (yes I know this thread...) because nearly all Concorde flights happened during daylight and even if they started or ended in darkness the whole flight never was.  I once spoke to an FO who said in eight years on fleet he'd only done two night flights!

Yes, it should work as per the manuals but there are lots of little things in the current simulation that don't, and I think we might have to put up with it. 

Ray Proudfoot

Ah good. I’m glad you agree the light goes off after a period of time. I’ve had this new computer since late 2018 and added a UHD monitor soon after. I wasn’t flying Concorde much in those first few months primarily because having to run 1920*1080 on a UHD display resulted in a disappointingly blurry virtual cockpit.

I thought the lack of brightness might be because I wasn’t using HDR so experimented for some time with it on and off. With it on the brightness levels were fine so I thought it must be because HDR had to be on.

But HDR just didn’t look right for me so I turned it off which highlighted the poor lighting. It was only after finding this topic which matched my problem I decided to test things today. I was going to record a smartphone video to prove my point but your confirmation makes that unnecessary.

I too see the Mach indicator bug move back and forth but that isn’t really a problem for me as it ceases when the engines are running. I’m not aware of any other bugs but clearly you have a higher level of knowledge with Concorde. Ignorance is bliss clearly. :)

But cockpit lighting is pretty important. I imagine that’s why Lefteris developed Spotlights and I can remember him showing it to me on a TeamViewer session some years ago so he must have been proud of it and yes, it looked really good even in FSX.

Given there seems no likelihood of a new version for some time it would be nice if the lighting worked as intended. I appreciate there weren’t many night flights but with the lighting in P3D v3 being less than brilliant it does make any daytime flights within a low sun very dark in the cockpit. Hopefully it would be a quick fix.

@Mirza Beg posted in Feb ‘18 that the light used to work okay but then stopped. Given we have only had a couple of new versions in the last couple of years it seems something broke with the lighting with one of them.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
Additional info
Fraser Gale
38 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Ah good. I’m glad you agree the light goes off after a period of time. I’ve had this new computer since late 2018 and added a UHD monitor soon after. I wasn’t flying Concorde much in those first few months primarily because having to run 1920*1080 on a UHD display resulted in a disappointingly blurry virtual cockpit.

I thought the lack of brightness might be because I wasn’t using HDR so experimented for some time with it on and off. With it on the brightness levels were fine so I thought it must be because HDR had to be on.

But HDR just didn’t look right for me so I turned it off which highlighted the poor lighting. It was only after finding this topic which matched my problem I decided to test things today. I was going to record a smartphone video to prove my point but your confirmation makes that unnecessary.

I too see the Mach indicator bug move back and forth but that isn’t really a problem for me as it ceases when the engines are running. I’m not aware of any other bugs but clearly you have a higher level of knowledge with Concorde. Ignorance is bliss clearly. :)

But cockpit lighting is pretty important. I imagine that’s why Lefteris developed Spotlights and I can remember him showing it to me on a TeamViewer session some years ago so he must have been proud of it and yes, it looked really good even in FSX.

Given there seems no likelihood of a new version for some time it would be nice if the lighting worked as intended. I appreciate there weren’t many night flights but with the lighting in P3D v3 being less than brilliant it does make any daytime flights within a low sun very dark in the cockpit. Hopefully it would be a quick fix.

@Mirza Beg posted in Feb ‘18 that the light used to work okay but then stopped. Given we have only had a couple of new versions in the last couple of years it seems something broke with the lighting with one of them.

Ray, you misunderstood what I agreed with there, I agree that the lights should work as per the manual...  I cannot confirm your problem with the lighting.  I will test it tomorrow and get back to you but it is pointless because there will be no update as per all previous communication from FSLabs.  Just doing what to us is a little fix is still an update...!

My MMo needle wiggles during taxi and climb not just till I turn the engines, and as I look at my instruments a heck of a lot more than my lights, for me that is more important!  We all look at things differently though.  

The AFCS has several issues, all discussed before: lack of holding IAS efficiently being the main one although the other is the wrong logic in MAX CLIMB mode.  The version we have always aims for the VMO speed regardless of your current airspeed, where the real mode was a Vc - Vmo mode (calibrated airspeed - max operating), so when selected it would maintain the DIFFERENCE in speed between Vmo and the airspeed at selection.  For example, Vmo = 400kts, Vc = 390kts on selection, then as you climb Vmo = 500kts, airspeed will increase to 490kts.  The autopilot does not automatically get you onto Vmo!   Real world procedure was to get as close to Vmo as possible in another mode (pitch hold usually) then select MAX CLIMB and use datum adjust to get the needles tucked in together.  

Things like this, the over-speeding N2 on takeoff to the point it is above limits etc. in my opinion are more mission critical than the storm lights as you should be able to use the normal lights and be able to see.  I accept that I have different priorities however. 

Ray Proudfoot

Frazz, okay, my mistake. I'm sure you'll be able to replicate it. I'm just wondering if it's a time-related issue or an altitude-based one. I'll test again today by holding short of a runway with the flood light on and observe.

I would put this bug in the same category as the Options one which was 'broken'  but later fixed. The floods used to work so I'm hopeful the status quo can be maintained.

Andrew will, I'm sure, be aware of the other bugs you listed. Fingers crossed they'll all disappear in a new version.

Fraser Gale

Frazz, okay, my mistake. I'm sure you'll be able to replicate it. I'm just wondering if it's a time-related issue or an altitude-based one. I'll test again today by holding short of a runway with the flood light on and observe.

I would put this bug in the same category as the Options one which was 'broken'  but later fixed. The floods used to work so I'm hopeful the status quo can be maintained.

Andrew will, I'm sure, be aware of the other bugs you listed. Fingers crossed they'll all disappear in a new version.

From what has been said, there won't be a new version for a considerable length of time (if at all with the world the way it is) which is why I'm saying that we just have to put up with the bugs as they are now. 

Ray Proudfoot

This is a strange bug. I sat at the 27L hold for 20 mins with the storm lighting on and it was fine. Took off and headed towards the English Channel. At FL460 18 mins into the flight and without touching any controls the storm light just switched off. The lighting, not the actual switch. Switching it between its 3 states had minimal impact. Effectively it was off.

I loaded an AutoSaved flight before the problem and the storm lighting was on. But again, at a later point in the flight with no controls being touched the light just goes off.

It's not time, user input or altitude related. Just random. FS Labs will either look at this or they won't. It's a bug so I feel I should report it as it's difficult to see the virtual cockpit without using the storm lighting.

Fraser Gale
26 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

This is a strange bug. I sat at the 27L hold for 20 mins with the storm lighting on and it was fine. Took off and headed towards the English Channel. At FL460 18 mins into the flight and without touching any controls the storm light just switched off. The lighting, not the actual switch. Switching it between its 3 states had minimal impact. Effectively it was off.

I loaded an AutoSaved flight before the problem and the storm lighting was on. But again, at a later point in the flight with no controls being touched the light just goes off.

It's not time, user input or altitude related. Just random. FS Labs will either look at this or they won't. It's a bug so I feel I should report it as it's difficult to see the virtual cockpit without using the storm lighting.

But does everyone have the bug? Could it be something on your system or that of the people that have this bug? Does it make the addon unuseable? 

I know that it is important to you and I haven't had time to test mine yet but as I've reminded you before, FSLabs have said they would stop support etc so I wouldn't see them making this a development priority - I know I wouldn't. 

Can I just ask what seems like a silly question...when you fly in the dark, is the room you are simming in dark as well?  If not that could be an issue.  I always have a dark room when flying in the dark otherwise is is difficult to see stuff that is essentially black on a screen.

Ray Proudfoot

Does everyone? I haven’t a clue. Only those who report on this topic can answer that. Until you can try it yourself I won’t know if it’s a wider problem. But something just switching off with no user involvement is not right.

it makes flying Concorde less enjoyable. I just want a light to work. I have no idea of the workload of FSL. I’d just be guessing.

This problem isn’t about flying in the dark. The vc is too dark without additional lighting. I usually have dome lighting on with the PMDG737 as the overhead gets no direct light. Using lights in daytime is not unusual. The VC is very much darker than the 2D Panel. I only fly during my daylight -1000-1600 usually. Never in the evening so there is a fair amount of light in a NW facing room.

Anyway, if you could try this yourself it would be appreciated.

Fraser Gale
2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Does everyone? I haven’t a clue. Only those who report on this topic can answer that. Until you can try it yourself I won’t know if it’s a wider problem. But something just switching off with no user involvement is not right.

it makes flying Concorde less enjoyable. I just want a light to work. I have no idea of the workload of FSL. I’d just be guessing.

This problem isn’t about flying in the dark. The vc is too dark without additional lighting. I usually have dome lighting on with the PMDG737 as the overhead gets no direct light. Using lights in daytime is not unusual. The VC is very much darker than the 2D Panel. I only fly during my daylight -1000-1600 usually. Never in the evening so there is a fair amount of light in a NW facing room.

Anyway, if you could try this yourself it would be appreciated.

Sorry, but this is about flying in the dark - if you are flying in a lit room then no matter what you are looking at on a dark screen (because it is meant to be dark) will be difficult to see well.  You should have a dark room with some sort of small desk lamp for seeing any paperwork or controls but only when/if necessary.  Just try it once with the normal flight deck lighting and see if it allows you to avoid use of the storm lights.

Visual landings at night need a dark flight deck with only instruments visible, else seeing outside is dangerous.

I am planning to fly the BA003 tonight so if delayed sufficiently I'll test it.

By the way, I presume you are flying the sim in night time conditions?  If you expect the storm lights to work in daytime sim settings I don't think they will, because FS (at least used to) switches off certain lights during the day regardless of the switches and it might be that the addon doesn't override this where others do.  Spotlights probably did...

Ray Proudfoot

Frazz, I don’t see any points discussing this until there is a response from FSL. How I wish to have cockpit lighting is a personal choice and unless I’ve missed it there’s nothing in the docs that say storm lighting will be turned off at random during a flight.

I look forward to hearing how the storm lighting worked for you.

Fraser Gale
41 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Frazz, I don’t see any points discussing this until there is a response from FSL. How I wish to have cockpit lighting is a personal choice and unless I’ve missed it there’s nothing in the docs that say storm lighting will be turned off at random during a flight.

I look forward to hearing how the storm lighting worked for you.

The last question I asked you is very relevant because it would point to a limitation that won't change.

Ray Proudfoot
27 minutes ago, Fraser Gale said:

The last question I asked you is very relevant because it would point to a limitation that won't change.

By nighttime conditions I assume you mean in the sim and not my local time. No. I always fly in daytime sim conditions. When parked at the gate the VC is quite dark.

Why would a single light be switched off randonly by the parent program? Doesn't make sense. Just before lunchtime I setup a flight from JFK down to Orlando. Then it was time for lunch. I left the aircraft powered up without engines running at the gate for over an hour. The storm light stayed on for the duration.

But 15 mins or so into the flight it just goes off. I've been flying this bird for many years and have never know anything like this to happen.

Fraser Gale

By nighttime conditions I assume you mean in the sim and not my local time. No. I always fly in daytime sim conditions. When parked at the gate the VC is quite dark.

Why would a single light be switched off randonly by the parent program? Doesn't make sense. Just before lunchtime I setup a flight from JFK down to Orlando. Then it was time for lunch. I left the aircraft powered up without engines running at the gate for over an hour. The storm light stayed on for the duration.

But 15 mins or so into the flight it just goes off. I've been flying this bird for many years and have never know anything like this to happen.

Well, I seem to remember that internal lighting used to be overridden by flightsim which would only turn it on when the sim thought it was night which is why I asked.  If you always use the storm lights you can't really state "a single light". 

I have just finished the acceleration phase and you will be pleased to read that I had my storm lights set to "All" from powerup, and that they did stop reflecting on the panels at 13mins after the start of the takeoff run. The actual lamps in the roof are still on but they don't show on the panels.  I still had my instrument lights on and they are very bright as usual - in fact I must say I personally found having the panels storm bright quite distracting. 

Ray Proudfoot

Thanks Frazz. Your confirmation they switch off after a certain period of time tells me there is something switching them off either inside Concorde-X or its parent program - FSX or ESP.

I have only looked at this problem in the last few days. I was struggling to choose between HDR lighting on or off because I was trying to get the VC lighting to my liking. I never saw storm lighting turn off until today probably because I was looking for it.

During Concorde flights I don’t stare at the screen constantly. I’ll browse the web on my laptop looking back every so often to check fuel.

Over to FS Labs for a response please. I haven’t seen any posts by support anywhere in the forum for a couple of days so I hope they’re okay. Obviously not away on holiday so maybe just having a break from duties.

Fraser Gale
2 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Thanks Frazz. Your confirmation they switch off after a certain period of time tells me there is something switching them off either inside Concorde-X or its parent program - FSX or ESP.

I have only looked at this problem in the last few days. I was struggling to choose between HDR lighting on or off because I was trying to get the VC lighting to my liking. I never saw storm lighting turn off until today probably because I was looking for it.

During Concorde flights I don’t stare at the screen constantly. I’ll browse the web on my laptop looking back every so often to check fuel.

Over to FS Labs for a response please. I haven’t seen any posts by support anywhere in the forum for a couple of days so I hope they’re okay. Obviously not away on holiday so maybe just having a break from duties.

I thought we were past the point where support had ended Ray? 

Ray Proudfoot
24 minutes ago, Fraser Gale said:

I thought we were past the point where support had ended Ray? 

If something used to work and no longer does then surely it should be fixed. We’re not talking about long-standing bugs such as those you mentioned.

Look at the two posts that started this topic. Something worked then stopped working. Surely bugs possibly introduced with an update should be corrected leaving things as they were.

Fraser Gale
1 minute ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

If something used to work and no longer does then surely it should be fixed. We’re not talking about long-standing bugs such as those you mentioned.

Look at the two posts that started this topic. Something worked then stopped working. Surely bugs possibly introduced with an update should be corrected leaving things as they were.

Don't think it works like that unfortunately.

Ray Proudfoot
17 minutes ago, Fraser Gale said:

Don't think it works like that unfortunately.

I tend to agree. Given the first two posts are over two years old and were never answered by support even when Concorde was supported does tell you something.

Fraser Gale
31 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I tend to agree. Given the first two posts are over two years old and were never answered by support even when Concorde was supported does tell you something.

It's kinda what I've been trying to tell you all along you see...it's time to find ways round issues like yours now. 

Ramón Cutanda

I reported this bug loooooong ago during P3D beta testing. I can't remember the exact reply, but Lefteris said then that this problem would not be fixed. If it was reported and wasn't fixed back then, during beta testing, do not expect to have it fixed by now, I'm afraid...

Ray Proudfoot
3 minutes ago, Ramón Cutanda said:

I reported this bug loooooong ago during P3D beta testing. I can't remember the exact reply, but Lefteris said then that this problem would not be fixed. If it was reported and wasn't fixed back then, during beta testing, do not expect to have it fixed by now, I'm afraid...

Thanks Ramon. That puts this one to bed then.:(

Fraser Gale
7 hours ago, Ramón Cutanda said:

Agreed!