David Katona

Take-Off Performance

Brad Zimmer

I’m am running into an issue (most likely my error) that I was hoping to fix.  I enter all of my values including my ATOW and get an error saying max takeoff weight: 0!  I get this no matter what I enter.  I am loading the numbers based off of my simbrief plan. Thanks. 

David Katona
16 minutes ago, Brad Zimmer said:

I’m am running into an issue (most likely my error) that I was hoping to fix.  I enter all of my values including my ATOW and get an error saying max takeoff weight: 0!  I get this no matter what I enter.  I am loading the numbers based off of my simbrief plan. Thanks. 

Can you send me a screenshot please? Thanks!

Brad Zimmer
3 minutes ago, David Katona said:

Can you send me a screenshot please? Thanks!

B1BC00B1-1F79-4257-8701-E38505741A65.jpeg

Also, this is on my iPad if that makes a difference via chrome. 

Alaister Kay

Have you entered a 10,000m runway and 148,000 kg ATOW? Could that be the issue?

David Katona

Please set units to imperial for those values.
Other than that it was my fault: outside temperature was -21C, and A320 charts only go as low as -20C. Fixed now.

Brad Zimmer

Thanks for the fix and yes, it is brutal here. I'm physically in Chicago and it's the coldest I've seen in a while. 

David Katona

So when it comes to the weight & balance, I have prepared a loadsheet feature. This gives you underload, CG, trim setting etc... Of course this will only work if you generate or enter a load on the website and then enter that on the payload page in the MCDU. Layout based on real life ACARS loadsheet printout. Almost done with it, so hopefully I can publish this today or tomorrow.

fullsizeoutput_298.thumb.jpeg.6afb662b21d7d4d4cd5f5a43012db4d0.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Riccardo_Parachini

I can only say thank you for the amazing job you are doing! Very great product !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kike campos

Is the app working? I’m trying to use it, but when I press init, in the flex window, I get a TIMEOUT message, and no WX is loaded.

Thank you and happy new year

David Katona
4 minutes ago, kike campos said:

Is the app working? I’m trying to use it, but when I press init, in the flex window, I get a TIMEOUT message, and no WX is loaded.

Thank you and happy new year

Server seems to be okay. What is the ICAO code you were trying?

Mike Roth

I'm getting a timeout message here as well. Seems to happen no matter which ICAO code I enter, but I tried CYVR, CYYZ, KJFK, and KDEN just to name a few.

In any event, thank you for the app. I've used it on three or four flights now and it's working great. 

David Katona
14 minutes ago, Mike Roth said:

I'm getting a timeout message here as well. Seems to happen no matter which ICAO code I enter, but I tried CYVR, CYYZ, KJFK, and KDEN just to name a few.

In any event, thank you for the app. I've used it on three or four flights now and it's working great. 

I might have published the work in progress version on the server by accident :) restored it from the backup so shouldn't time out now. 

David Katona

Hi guys,

I have enabled the W & B tab on the website.

Right now kilograms only! First select engine type on the Take-Off tab, as different CoG envelopes apply.
CONFIG:
 If you select a config higher than 168 then any passengers above 168 will be included in the cargo weights to simulate the increase in weight.
PAX/CARGO DEMAND: You can generate a random load, based on your route you can select what load factor you would like to see.
PASSENGERS: Total number of passengers generated [male / female / child]
BAGS: Total number of bags generated [pieces / weight]
PASSENGER DISTRIBUTION: The number of passengers you need to enter in the MCDU. If you selected a config greater than 168, then limit those numbers to the maximum enterable [54 / 54 / 60]

DEADLOAD: In the bag column you can distribute bags - in this example 62 is number of pieces. Do not enter baggage weight (piece concept used). In the C/M you can enter cargo/mail figures in kilograms. In the MCDU column is what you need to enter in the MCDU: this includes baggage weight, cargo/mail weight, and the weight of passengers above 168.

RAND: this button generates the random load based on your selections of config and demand.
INIT: this calculates the operational weights and CoG.
5a4a1073461ed_ScreenShot2018-01-01at11_40_39.thumb.png.243e80ffab0251c313bfaa0add78dc9f.png

Operational weights and CoG: The [L] means which figure the underload is based on.
UNDERLOAD: Current underload.
MAX BLOCK: The maximum block fuel you can uplift without exceeding the underload.
TRIM: Trim setting
L/S Button: Opens printable loadsheet in new tab.

And a chart for the centre of gravity.

5a4a12177ccb2_ScreenShot2018-01-01at11_41_03.thumb.png.0226d56e80b7ad92a2403cf99bd44af0.png          5a4a12eab6d7e_ScreenShot2018-01-01at11_52_12.thumb.png.8c8163e67b767b80c539cc8bd12cb7a8.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 7

Ayush Roy

Thanks a lot! Just a question though...why are the values so different between TOPCAT and this tool? We sometimes have 5kts différences between these two Tools...which one is more reliable? :) 

Amazing work though!

David Katona
5 minutes ago, Ayush Roy said:

Thanks a lot! Just a question though...why are the values so different between TOPCAT and this tool? We sometimes have 5kts différences between these two Tools...which one is more reliable? :) 

Amazing work though!

I have uploaded figures from the FCOM, and interpolating those for the results. For further improvements I will crosscheck calculations with real life take off performance tools.
One difference surely is that TOPCAT has obstacle database, which affects these calculations. So far I have no access to that database, as that is a commercial product of navigraph. 

PS: I am definitely not competing with TOPCAT, I just needed a solution to use on the tablet, so I decided to create my own :)

• Like 1

Errais abdeljalil

amazing stuff

Ayush Roy
1 hour ago, David Katona said:

I have uploaded figures from the FCOM, and interpolating those for the results. For further improvements I will crosscheck calculations with real life take off performance tools.
One difference surely is that TOPCAT has obstacle database, which affects these calculations. So far I have no access to that database, as that is a commercial product of navigraph. 

PS: I am definitely not competing with TOPCAT, I just needed a solution to use on the tablet, so I decided to create my own :)

No problem David! I just want to use the most realistic tool :) If you could just crosscheck with real world data, and give us your feedback, it would be awesome.

Ps: Where did Thrust section go? I can't chose between FLX or TOGA...

Norman Blackburn
20 hours ago, David Katona said:

DEADLOAD: In the bag column you can distribute bags - in this example 62 is number of pieces. Do not enter baggage weight (piece concept used). In the C/M you can enter cargo/mail figures in kilograms. In the MCDU column is what you need to enter in the MCDU: this includes baggage weight, cargo/mail weight, and the weight of passengers above 168.

Great work thus far David however could you advise what notional weights you are using for pieces and does this vary based on sector type - for example 11/13/15KG?

David Katona
31 minutes ago, Norman Blackburn said:

Great work thus far David however could you advise what notional weights you are using for pieces and does this vary based on sector type - for example 11/13/15KG?

Hi Norman,
Currently it is 14kgs / pcs, which is random I know, I took the average of 13 and 15. I wasn't sure whether to change that based on loadfactor or randomise it. Or whether to add an option to define the weight used...

Norman Blackburn

In a former life as a Dispatcher for notional weights we would have used 11 for flights within the same country, 13 for inter continent - for example a flight anywhere to/from Europe and 15 for transcontinental for example Europe to USA.

Even most LCC now use actual weights these days so I would be inclined to use weights but that choice is of course yours.

Maximilian Schroeder

I appreciate your hard work, it's a great tool.
But in my opinion there is something missing. I would like to enter the total amount of pax and bags (or the total weight of the luggage) so that the tool calculates the "best" distribution of the pax and bags.

David Katona
14 minutes ago, Maximilian Schroeder said:

I appreciate your hard work, it's a great tool.
But in my opinion there is something missing. I would like to enter the total amount of pax and bags (or the total weight of the luggage) so that the tool calculates the "best" distribution of the pax and bags.

I will enable the fields to enter total pax and weight in the next version. What is best distribution? Ideal trim line, or company policy? :)  now it loads up to around 85 bags in hold 1, that is the policy of one low-cost airline in Europe. Rest in hold 4. Another company I handled used to put 85 in hold 1, rest in hold 3. But if I was preparing the loading instruction (legacy airlines) then it was a different story. I will try to come up with something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Brad Zimmer
On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 4:59 AM, David Katona said:

Hi guys,

I have enabled the W & B tab on the website.

Right now kilograms only! First select engine type on the Take-Off tab, as different CoG envelopes apply.
CONFIG:
 If you select a config higher than 168 then any passengers above 168 will be included in the cargo weights to simulate the increase in weight.
PAX/CARGO DEMAND: You can generate a random load, based on your route you can select what load factor you would like to see.
PASSENGERS: Total number of passengers generated [male / female / child]
BAGS: Total number of bags generated [pieces / weight]
PASSENGER DISTRIBUTION: The number of passengers you need to enter in the MCDU. If you selected a config greater than 168, then limit those numbers to the maximum enterable [54 / 54 / 60]

RAND: this button generates the random load based on your selections of config and demand.
INIT: this calculates the operational weights and CoG.
5a4a1073461ed_ScreenShot2018-01-01at11_40_39.thumb.png.243e80ffab0251c313bfaa0add78dc9f.png

Operational weights and CoG: The [L] means which figure the underload is based on.
UNDERLOAD: Current underload.
MAX BLOCK: The maximum block fuel you can uplift without exceeding the underload.
TRIM: Trim setting
L/S Button: Opens printable loadsheet in new tab.

And a chart for the centre of gravity.

5a4a12177ccb2_ScreenShot2018-01-01at11_41_03.thumb.png.0226d56e80b7ad92a2403cf99bd44af0.png          5a4a12eab6d7e_ScreenShot2018-01-01at11_52_12.thumb.png.8c8163e67b767b80c539cc8bd12cb7a8.png

Do you plan on making a version for lbs instead of kilograms?

Riccardo_Parachini
I will enable the fields to enter total pax and weight in the next version. What is best distribution? Ideal trim line, or company policy?   now it loads up to around 85 bags in hold 1, that is the policy of one low-cost airline in Europe. Rest in hold 4. Another company I handled used to put 85 in hold 1, rest in hold 3. But if I was preparing the loading instruction (legacy airlines) then it was a different story. I will try to come up with something.

I think company policy you quoted is the best one. However in normal ops pilots insert the weights and pax in the different bays, so there’s no problem. I’ve tried today and I really like the entire product.
I’d love the possibility to insert the last minute changes , as pax +\- and bags +\-

David Katona
40 minutes ago, Brad Zimmer said:

Do you plan on making a version for lbs instead of kilograms?

Certainly, I just need to find the time : )

4 minutes ago, Riccardo_Parachini said:

I think company policy you quoted is the best one. However in normal ops pilots insert the weights and pax in the different bays, so there’s no problem. I’ve tried today and I really like the entire product.
I’d love the possibility to insert the last minute changes , as pax +\- and bags +\-

LMC will come. Although mainly I was thinking about a random LMC generator (as currently with PAX and bags) but with the ability that you can manually enter LMCs should you want to come up with you own figures. First, however, I am adding an option to select ULD configured aircraft so ULD weights will be added to the deadload.

• Like 2

Brad Zimmer
Just now, David Katona said:

Certainly, I just need to find the time : )

LMC will come. Although mainly I was thinking about a random LMC generator (as currently with PAX and bags) but with the ability that you can manually enter LMCs should you want to come up with you own figures. First, however, I am adding an option to select ULD configured aircraft so ULD weights will be added to the deadload.

Great!  I look forward to figuring out how to input the weight/pax into my flight.

Also, somewhat unrelated, does anyone recommend a good fuel planner to use along with this?  Since I typically get my flight plan from Flightaware, I can get my perf from this, I don't see much need for simbrief outside of getting my fuel.  Is that accurate or can this be used for fuel planning?  I might be missing something.  Thanks!

David Katona
9 minutes ago, Brad Zimmer said:

Great!  I look forward to figuring out how to input the weight/pax into my flight.

Also, somewhat unrelated, does anyone recommend a good fuel planner to use along with this?  Since I typically get my flight plan from Flightaware, I can get my perf from this, I don't see much need for simbrief outside of getting my fuel.  Is that accurate or can this be used for fuel planning?  I might be missing something.  Thanks!

I use simbrief for my flight and fuel planning, as it lets me enter a ZFW for calculations. So I usually first generate a random load on my website, and then use simbrief with the ZFW for more accurate fuel planning. I have added the max block fuel option on the website because the airline I am usually flying for in the simulator likes to uplift fuel for the way back to base as well in real life, so it comes in handy.

Brad Zimmer

Interesting.  So you take your website load and then use that ZFW manually within Simbrief to get the fuel?  I don't know why I didn't think of that!

Joshua Scott
18 hours ago, Norman Blackburn said:

In a former life as a Dispatcher for notional weights we would have used 11 for flights within the same country, 13 for inter continent - for example a flight anywhere to/from Europe and 15 for transcontinental for example Europe to USA.

Even most LCC now use actual weights these days so I would be inclined to use weights but that choice is of course yours.

Them weights are still used today, including hand luggage of 5KG per bag if going into the hold. 

olibarke

Just got to say amazing work, and the figures correlate from the FCOM tables i've been using to manually calculate perf figures. 

As an real world A330 operator, if the wind is light and variable we would use either zero wind or a suitable tailwind in order to obtain perf figures that had a safety buffet. Similarly we would also anticipate temperature changes and use a max expected temp rather than the exact figure on the ATIS/METAR. Would it be possible to have the option to edit the weather data once retrieved?

Additionally would it be possible if the L/S could be carried forward into the perf page and then performance data added to the bottom, resulting in an all in one dispatch style sheet? 

Once again, excellent product!

David Katona
1 minute ago, olibarke said:

Just got to say amazing work, and the figures correlate from the FCOM tables i've been using to manually calculate perf figures. 

As an real world A330 operator, if the wind is light and variable we would use either zero wind or a suitable tailwind in order to obtain perf figures that had a safety buffet. Similarly we would also anticipate temperature changes and use a max expected temp rather than the exact figure on the ATIS/METAR. Would it be possible to have the option to edit the weather data once retrieved?

Additionally would it be possible if the L/S could be carried forward into the perf page and then performance data added to the bottom, resulting in an all in one dispatch style sheet? 

Once again, excellent product!

Editable weather is on my list definitely, I am just a bit busy with the day job this week, but definitely coming.
Do you mean to have the performance data on the printable loadsheet? I was thinking about that, and I tried to find some real life examples of acars perf printouts but to no avail unfortunately. If you would have a layout example, let me know and I will add it (my email is at the bottom of the website)

• Like 1

olibarke
13 minutes ago, David Katona said:

Editable weather is on my list definitely, I am just a bit busy with the day job this week, but definitely coming.
Do you mean to have the performance data on the printable loadsheet? I was thinking about that, and I tried to find some real life examples of acars perf printouts but to no avail unfortunately. If you would have a layout example, let me know and I will add it (my email is at the bottom of the website)

Email sent. 

• Like 1

Ivan Chernov RUS

Greate work. Brilliant. Thank you very much!

Jan Urban

Great ! MANY thanks.

Best regards

Jan Urban

Liam Carbin

Any plans on the software to automatically calculate the desired flaps?

David Katona
11 hours ago, Liam Carbin said:

Any plans on the software to automatically calculate the desired flaps?

Not at this point, as I don't have obstacle database. Also my understanding is (but any real world pilot can correct me if I'm wrong) that these softwares are customisable by the airline. Meaning I am not sure there is one generic formula for optimum flaps as it can be influenced by the airline (for example prefer 1+F, unless [criteria]...) If this is not true though, and somebody has a generic formula that all airlines use, I could implement that of course once I have obstacle data.

• Like 1

Miguel Angel

Amazing tool!

It's just the one everybody was waiting for.

A comment for the author:

Would it be possible in the future link this tool with Simbrief Flight Planner?

This way, the fuel block calc, the trip fuel, the length of the runway would be an automatic process.

Thanks for this tool.

Keep up the good work.

Greetings.

• Like 1

David Katona

Weather is now editable (Pressure is QNH only for now, later I will add the US altimiter)

David Katona
11 hours ago, Miguel Angel said:

Amazing tool!

It's just the one everybody was waiting for.

A comment for the author:

Would it be possible in the future link this tool with Simbrief Flight Planner?

This way, the fuel block calc, the trip fuel, the length of the runway would be an automatic process.

Thanks for this tool.

Keep up the good work.

Greetings.

That would be a bigger project than what I have planned at this point in time. But the runway length I would like to solve as soon as I can by having a dropdown for runways and intersections.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tim Smith

I'm having an issue with getting the load sheet working, the new tab just says 

"Initialise load figures!"

Also, what's the weight used for PAX so I can match it in PFPX?

Really loving this tool, Keep up the great work!