Jump to content

Take-Off Performance


David Katona

Recommended Posts

David Katona

UPDATE: Available at http://wabpro.cz/A320/

 

Hey everyone,

I am planning to publish my take-off performance calculation website in a few days. Figures are based on FCOM performance charts. Basically it downloads the current metar, finds the MTOW for current conditions. Once you enter your actual take-off weight, it calculates FLEX temp and V speeds for you.

Let me know if you can think of something useful to be included so I consider adding extra things before I publish the website. Also, if any of you has access to real life take-off performance software, please let me know so I can verify I few assumptions I have having read the FCOM...

fullsizeoutput_237.thumb.jpeg.38c71799fa46528432b21585f4648336.jpeg

Edited by David Katona
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 23
Link to post
  • Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • David Katona

    126

  • Brad Zimmer

    30

  • Riccardo_Parachini

    25

  • Igor Petrov

    21

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

UPDATE: Available at http://wabpro.cz/A320/   Hey everyone, I am planning to publish my take-off performance calculation website in a few days. Figures are based on FCOM performance cha

Hi guys, I have enabled the W & B tab on the website. Right now kilograms only! First select engine type on the Take-Off tab, as different CoG envelopes apply. CONFIG: If you select a co

Just to show you guys what I am working on for the W&B page... This is rather for people who actually care about the balance   It will show the weight and balance positions and the limits. The r

Posted Images

Florian Wagner

Hi, it looks really great!

Can the tool already calculate the trim setting, when the weights and CG is entered?

If no, just a suggestion, this would be perfect...

Thanks in advance for this great work. Can't wait to see the finished tool.

Greetings

 

Link to post
David Katona

The W&B part will do that. It will also accept PAX figures up to 180, and will tell you how much “Cargo” to put in the individual holds to have the same weight as if you actually had 180 pax on board. 

Link to post
NilsUnger

Looking really smart! 

Where is the METAR coming from (which source)? 

Would be handy being able to input runway length in feet as well.

EDIT: Oh and lbs for weights, of course. 

Edited by NilsUnger
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
David Katona
1 minute ago, NilsUnger said:

Looking really smart! 

Where is the METAR coming from (which source)? 

Would be handy being able to input runway length in feet as well.

Metar is coming from aviationweather.gov

I am planning imperial units as well, it will come. Very first version will be Flaps 1 and CFM. Then I will add the rest of the flaps settings and IAE. At least that is my plan at the moment.

Link to post
Rafal Haczek

Looks like a great tool, David. Congratulations! :)
Is there a chance you will also release it as an downloadable application or will it remain as part of the website?

Link to post
David Katona
32 minutes ago, Rafal Haczek said:

Looks like a great tool, David. Congratulations! :)
Is there a chance you will also release it as an downloadable application or will it remain as part of the website?

For the time being website only. My issue with topcat was that I like to do everything on the tablet and leave the PC full screen P3D. I am not really familiar with iOS application development, so easiest solution for me at the moment is to go with the website, as I am uploading the performance figures from the FCOM into my database on the server.

  • Like 2
Link to post
NilsUnger

In the latest version of firefox (with default settings) I have some problems with readability of text in some fields. Other than that it looks really nice.

In Microsoft edge browser it looks fine.

app.PNG.1880cc95f70515ec7593876c3c19c957.PNG

Link to post
Chakko Kovoor

Would you please consider making it possible to enter the wx/METAR information manually, rather than require the user to press INIT to pull current information from your chosen wx source. This is because I usually fly in historical weather sourced separately.

Thanks!

Link to post
David Katona
11 hours ago, NilsUnger said:

In the latest version of firefox (with default settings) I have some problems with readability of text in some fields. Other than that it looks really nice.

In Microsoft edge browser it looks fine.

Nils, Firefox should be okay now.

3 hours ago, Chakko Kovoor said:

Would you please consider making it possible to enter the wx/METAR information manually, rather than require the user to press INIT to pull current information from your chosen wx source. This is because I usually fly in historical weather sourced separately.

Thanks!

Chakko, it is possible, I will add this option.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
David Katona
2 minutes ago, Brad Zimmer said:

Is this active and fully functioning?  I was having issues when using it via IE. looks good though

Not tested in IE, but should be working. What was the issue in IE?

Link to post
Brad Zimmer

Now, I can't even open the site.  It is having me open or save it to a different application.  When I did get it to open, it wouldn't let me click on the first tab, it only gave me the performance options on tab 2.  And all of the sections weren't allowing me to enter anything. 

Link to post
David Katona

First tab is not active yet. Input is accepted in the fields that are not greyed out (right now weather cannot be entered manually, it uses real life weather). It works in safari, chrome and since this morning in Firefox as well. I tried it in explorer without any issues, but did not try all the versions of IE. 

Link to post
David Katona
9 minutes ago, NilsUnger said:

Yes, it is! Thanks David. :)

What are TREF and TFLEXMAX good for?

Flex cannot be lower than TREF, so when you see TO/GA for flex temperature, it means the calculated temperature was less than TREF.

Also, Flex cannot be higher than TFLEXMAX, so if the aircraft is very light and/or the runway is very long, the Flex is limited to that. I am just showing it on the website for information only, no real purpose :)

TREF and TFLEXMAX depends on pressure altitude, as it is based on ISA + a value depending on engine type. At higher pressure altitudes you'll see lower TFLEXMAX.

By the way: i don't have charts for pressure altitudes above 2000feet, so calculations are less precise above that altitude...

Edited by David Katona
Link to post
Stu Antonio

Wow, looks more than promesing, I‘ve been waiting for an online performance calculator for years. Works perfectly on my iPhone as well btw ;)

It would be great though to be able to select the runway via dropdown menu once you entered the origin an have the rwy data filled in automatically (similar to TOPCAT, I guess this requires some kind of database etc... ) Dunno if this is possible but it would come in handy :) 

Keep it up,

BR Stu

Link to post
David Katona
41 minutes ago, Stu Antonio said:

Wow, looks more than promesing, I‘ve been waiting for an online performance calculator for years. Works perfectly on my iPhone as well btw ;)

It would be great though to be able to select the runway via dropdown menu once you entered the origin an have the rwy data filled in automatically (similar to TOPCAT, I guess this requires some kind of database etc... ) Dunno if this is possible but it would come in handy :) 

Keep it up,

BR Stu

I have contacted navigraph to see what options I have to access the dataset of runways and runway intersections, but no news on that yet...

  • Like 1
Link to post
NilsUnger
14 minutes ago, David Katona said:

I have contacted navigraph to see what options I have to access the dataset of runways and runway intersections, but no news on that yet...

Wow, you are going that far? Are you planning on going payware? 

Link to post
Riccardo_Parachini

I think for the obstacles could be quite difficult, but a good way to create a database is that every user (of course if willing to) when making performance for one airport can save the runway and maybe also the intersection.
E.g I fly Limc to xxx, I insert the datas for rwy 35L and intersection and save them


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to post
David Katona
3 hours ago, NilsUnger said:

Wow, you are going that far? Are you planning on going payware? 

That would need quite a lot of development. For the time being it is just a hobby rather :)

18 minutes ago, Riccardo_Parachini said:

I think for the obstacles could be quite difficult, but a good way to create a database is that every user (of course if willing to) when making performance for one airport can save the runway and maybe also the intersection.
E.g I fly Limc to xxx, I insert the datas for rwy 35L and intersection and save them


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will think about adding such an option. I would like to achieve something like the simbrief website uses, whereas one AIRAC is free and then the user can activate other datasets if they purchased them. But even with one airac most of it would be covered, as runways and intersections are more static than waypoint/airway changes... 

 

Right now I am working on uploading Flaps 2 figures to cover shorter runways as well. Hopefully I can enable F2 calculations today.

  • Like 1
Link to post
David Katona

Just to show you guys what I am working on for the W&B page... This is rather for people who actually care about the balance :) 
It will show the weight and balance positions and the limits. The red line is a projection of how fuel affects the balance - FSLABS simulated this so perfectly that even this matches real life. Green dot is zero fuel weight and index. Therefore once the take off weight and balance is calculated it will be somewhere on the red line. Data is just example, I am still adding the calculations. And of course it will calculate the trim setting, as well as underload, and the ATOW on the TPC page will be prepopulated from the weight and balance tab.

 

fullsizeoutput_293.thumb.jpeg.c2a50c524103bfdd0dd4865d1d01ec24.jpeg

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 6
Link to post
NilsUnger

I think we need to bring this to more peoples attention. This is really good stuff which is requested very regularly in the forums. In my opinion it deserves a stickied thread as it can hardly be placed in the download section. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Tim Smith

Great work! Just tested a departure and the flex temp and Vspeeds seemed to work nicely. 

Some suggestions for future development,

- Ability to add weather conditions manually for those of us who regularly use historical weather.

- 186 PAX seating capacity, as several major LCC are now adopting (Jetstar and EasyJet to name 2)

- Perhaps once the foundations are all laid, a graphical interface that replicates an airline style take off performance program.

Link to post
Markus Burkhard
49 minutes ago, Tim Smith said:

- Perhaps once the foundations are all laid, a graphical interface that replicates an airline style take off performance program.

Perhaps the tool can be modified to approximate Airbus' own take-off performance tool regarding design and colours? A demo version for tablets can be downloaded for free.

  • Like 1
Link to post
David Katona
5 hours ago, Tim Smith said:

Great work! Just tested a departure and the flex temp and Vspeeds seemed to work nicely. 

Some suggestions for future development,

- Ability to add weather conditions manually for those of us who regularly use historical weather.

- 186 PAX seating capacity, as several major LCC are now adopting (Jetstar and EasyJet to name 2)

- Perhaps once the foundations are all laid, a graphical interface that replicates an airline style take off performance program.

Hi Tim,
I am adding the three cabin configs as on the screenshot below. Now, I have seen a screenshot in another topic where the MCDU will let you enter 180 PAX (probably in the upcoming version?), so we'll see. In that case up to 180 it'll be easy, and only the rest of the passengers will have to be "loaded as cargo". Unless the 186 config will also be selectable in a later version of the aircraft, which would be amazing. The rest of the selection is basically a load randomiser... I used to work in loadcontrol, so when it comes to average figures, I try to replicate what I have experienced. I always overwrite the figures that GSX loaded, as I find the amount of bags/cargo unrealisticly high for certain carriers.

fullsizeoutput_294.thumb.jpeg.befefd10bbbfc1991004ac32e6d87e2d.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Lars Hajema

I just wanted to stop by and show my appreciation for @David Katona Thank you so much for taking the time to develop this! I'm sure a lot of people will appreciate your effort!

Happy new year! All the best for 2018!

Lars

 

Link to post
  • Bob Lyddy pinned this topic

×
×
  • Create New...