New Sound Immersion Feature

Craig Udseth

Craig Udseth

First a little backround:    I have FSX SP2 and Win10, which I was forced to install to accommodate my high-end equipment upgrade.  After MS finally fixed their broken upgrade, I discovered that my version of ConcordeX (v1.2) would not work with Win10, so I upgraded to v1.3.  I had read Lefteris's prologue on the version and remember him mentioning something about a sound upgrade but just thought it meant new more accurate wave files. 

On my first flight in my new upgraded plane, however,  I was frustrated because the sliders in the FSX sound menu kept changing on their own and would not hold the positions that I had manually set!  I was convinced it was something MS must have caused with their latest KB but after trying other aircraft (PMDG, Level-D, etc.) I was even more confused because they did not have the issue.  I then did a little more testing with the ConcordeX and discovered that FSL has introduced a cutting-edge new feature.  With this version,  they now internally control the mix between the engine volume and the environmental volume along with changing the wave files as appropriate to more realistically simulate the sound that should be heard at each phase of flight and view position.  Now of course changing the wave files with different phases of flight is nothing new.  All the good simulations do that, but manipulating the sliders?  Definitely a first.   And it definitely adds a new element of realism:  strong engine sounds and very little wind noise while taxing but roaring engines and increasing wind noise on takeoff.  The engine sound decreases and the wind noise increases as the aircraft accelerates and climbs, so by the time the aircraft is approaching M2.00 and above FL510 there is no engine sound but all wind sound heard from the flight deck.  And the sliders within the sound menu keep automatically changing appropriately to simulate this variation.  Switching to spot plane view and the roar of the engines comes to life (and a quick glance at the sound menu and the engine slider will have moved 80% to the right but the environment slider back to about 5%).  As the spot plane moves around the aircraft the sound sliders again change to reflect the appropriate volume mix.  This seems quite innovative to say the least.  I wonder if they have included the feature in the A320.  But I am really puzzled as to why I am the first to mention this since I am a late comer to v1.39.  Are others of you not experiencing this?  Or are you just not as impressed with it as I am?  But from my perspective, my thanks to the Dev team on this one!  It definitely sets a new bench-mark.

Craig

Fraser Gale

To be honest, I think most people on here (myself certainly) just want to "fly" the aircraft and generally admire the good job done by the developers but we don't really spend time posting all the intricate details of the simulation on here because it's normally a place for asking questions.

We were told about the new sound feature when it was added so it was just accepted...

Frazz

Andrew Wilson

It’s actually a legacy feature now - we don’t use these methods in our latest titles for P3D v4. We now simulate the sounds independently from the sim and each sound is then manipulated through a complex series of functions for camera position relative to the sound, atmospheric properties and system interaction.

Our A320-X customers on P3D v4 are currently enjoying this latest technology.

• Like 2
Steve Prowse
20 minutes ago, Andrew Wilson said:

It’s actually a legacy feature now - we don’t use these methods in our latest titles for P3D v4. We now simulate the sounds independently from the sim and each sound is then manipulated through a complex series of functions for camera position relative to the sound, atmospheric properties and system interaction.

Our A320-X customers on P3D v4 are currently enjoying this latest technology.

Yeah I watched your preview video for the bus, the sounds were excellent.   We Concorders live in hope.....one day...we too might enjoy the latest technology.  Thanks Andrew.

Craig Udseth

Thanks for confirmation, Andrew.  For that reason I am glad I am still on FSX and am able to enjoy that feature.   This level of increased immersion sets a new benchmark for other developers to strive to meet.  Congratulations!  Again FSL moves to the top of the sim world.  

Craig