P3D @ 21:9?

Luke Hall

I'd like to replace my old 40" 1080p monitor with a widescreen curved monitor, such as the Samsung C34F791WQN. I'd ultimately like to benefit from the extra FOV and higher resolution.

Can anyone tell me if P3D supports 3440 x 1440 (21:9) aspect and if there are any pitfalls?

Many thanks!

Edward Spence

You can indeed run P3D at 3440X1440 as this is what I use.  I don't think that I've had any issues with running at this resolution either.  You might take a slight frame hit by upping from 1080 to 1440 but other than that P3D will work with it straight away.

8 hours ago, Edward Spence said:

You can indeed run P3D at 3440X1440 as this is what I use.  I don't think that I've had any issues with running at this resolution either.  You might take a slight frame hit by upping from 1080 to 1440 but other than that P3D will work with it straight away.

Great, thanks for the info. Out of interest, which 3440x1440 monitor are you using?

I've been using a 21:9 monitor for a year. Not 3440x1440 though but 2560x1080.
To be honest: I couldn't be happier. Simming got a new immersion level, the field of view from the cockpit in insane.
Last but not least it is also a great ratio for working. I have a lot of room in my Adobe software plus I can work comfortably on three windows at the same time.

Edward Spence

I have the Acer Predator X34, which is completely overkill for P3D but not for other titles that I also play.  The only reason it's the price that is, is down to Nvidia charging a ridiculous price for their G-Sync module.  I don't think P3D takes advantage of G-Sync but can't confirm this as I permanently run with G-Sync enabled. 

Personally I'd recommend that whatever you settle for, that it has an IPS display over a TN display, as with TN displays unless you are sat directly in front of it, you'll get 'shadowing' on the areas that you don't have a direct sight line of.  IPS displays don't have this issue.

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 6:48 PM, Luke Hall said:

I'd like to replace my old 40" 1080p monitor with a widescreen curved monitor, such as the Samsung C34F791WQN. I'd ultimately like to benefit from the extra FOV and higher resolution.

Can anyone tell me if P3D supports 3440 x 1440 (21:9) aspect and if there are any pitfalls?

Many thanks!

I've had the Dell 34" curved Ultrawide for 2 years and love it!!  21:9 is perfect aspect ratio for simming IMO.....

Gents,

Please keep in mind that increasing the resolution also increases the burden on your hardware and thus decreases performance. When I went from 1920x1200 to 2560x1440 I had to rethink my configuration in the simulator in order to get the same performance. In the end I had to get a new GPU to have acceptable performance for my standards, which was followed by a PSU as the old one was not providing enough juice for the new card.. :wacko:

Just keep that in mind while making your decisions, so as not to be disappointed like I was by my choice and have to spend more money on hardware.. ;)

• Like 1
Frank McKeown

I'm using the Acer Predator X34. I could never go back now. I don't notice any difference in performance with my GTX1070. P3D is great in ultrawide. I agree with Eric. I read about performance issues at higher resolutions, but I don't notice any hit. Just take the plunge, you will not regret it.

Pedro_Carvalho
18 hours ago, Eric Kucher@ said:

I've had the Dell 34" curved Ultrawide for 2 years and love it!!  21:9 is perfect aspect ratio for simming IMO.....

My setup precisely: U3415W. I bought it for flightsimming as soon as I heard it was out. Couldn't be happier since. Perfect resolution for simulation. I just wish the curve was a little more aggressive like the new models but then it would start messing with other tasks to be performed on the same computer...

Great answers - thanks everyone :-)

• 3 months later...
Ray Proudfoot

I'm curious. If the panels are designed for a 16:9 aspect ratio won't they be distorted with 21:9? Or any other ratio.

Pedro_Carvalho
25 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I'm curious. If the panels are designed for a 16:9 aspect ratio won't they be distorted with 21:9? Or any other ratio.

As far as my setup goes what happens is that you see more panel. This is on VC. Since I stopped using 2D panels when I left FS9 I've never tried the 2D panel of FSLabs. Probably they will appear stretched. 

But the main advantage is the "real estate" you gain on VC. It's similar to adding a second monitor, without any bezel right in the middle of the VC.

Markus Burkhard
11 hours ago, Timm Rehberg said:

Sure - it will give a hit to the performance as I read in the articles above. Can you confirm that it might be a difference to use USB-C or Display-port instead of HDMI?

I still don't like these 21:9 screens, there is just too few pixels vertically. When flying airliners, one wants to see the PFD and the outside world at the same time. This is just not possible with those screens, unless you zoom out a LOT, but that then makes the PFD much smaller than real.

My suggestion still is, if you want to go big screen, get a proper 4K monitor, but bigger than 30".

Current generation PC monitors should be connected using Display-Port, I don't think the gaming video cards feature USB-C ports.

Ray Proudfoot
2 hours ago, Pedro_Carvalho said:

As far as my setup goes what happens is that you see more panel. This is on VC. Since I stopped using 2D panels when I left FS9 I've never tried the 2D panel of FSLabs. Probably they will appear stretched. 

But the main advantage is the "real estate" you gain on VC. It's similar to adding a second monitor, without any bezel right in the middle of the VC.

I was talking about the VC panel but what I don’t understand is how round gauges stay round. Surely any other ratio than 16:9 will distort them.

And with 21:9 aren’t the extreme edges more distorted than 16:9?

Pedro_Carvalho
10 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I was talking about the VC panel but what I don’t understand is how round gauges stay round. Surely any other ratio than 16:9 will distort them.

And with 21:9 aren’t the extreme edges more distorted than 16:9?

Ray, what matters is the overall number of pixels and not the proportion. On my setup I have 3440x1440px. This is 21:9 but that's just a ratio to understand the proportions...

If the PFD has 200x200px it will be drawn correctly without any distortion somewhere on the screen. Just as if the screen had 1920x1080px. The only diference is that, for the same zoom factor, you get the PFD drawn exactly the same size, but you are left with many more pixels to draw the VC around the PFD. So, you get a bigger cockpit shown.

Of course that you have to ponder another factor which is the physical screen size. The diagonal of the screen in inches. My screen has 34 inches, so all those pixels have to be drawn inside that space. If the screen was physically bigger it would appear that the cockpit was zoomed in, since everything would be drawn with a lower density (less pixels/inch). That is why some users recommend a 50'' TV. The 4K resolution is comparable to what I have on this screen (a little more), and all those pixels will be spread around a much bigger area (50'' vs 34''). The density will be less than mine, but it will be easier to see what's drawn on the VC.

On the attachment you can see what my VC looks like (view in full size). For me it is enough, but every user has their own preference and constraints.

vc.jpg

Ray Proudfoot

Thanks Pedro. The PFD still appears to show the correct proportions. But I would argue that the proportion of the screen is still important. Whilst you have extra width you don't have extra height. To take it further would a 25:9 or 29:9 be acceptable?

I'm not sure of the ratio the human eye experiences. Whether it's so wide-angle is a moot point. But it's a user choice so each to their own. :)

• 3 years later...
Vasco Patricio

I'm since monday using a 21:9.

From the prespective point of view, I find it awesome. But, on the other hand, all the numerals, parameters, readouts etc, look a bit out of focus and/or resolution.

Mine is a 1080p. Maybe that's the issue. Should have gone to a 1440p...maybe...

Jose Rodrigues
12 hours ago, Vasco Patricio said:

I'm since monday using a 21:9.

From the prespective point of view, I find it awesome. But, on the other hand, all the numerals, parameters, readouts etc, look a bit out of focus and/or resolution.

Ray Proudfoot
12 hours ago, Vasco Patricio said:

Without knowing your CPU and GPU it’s impossible to advise. 1080p is a very low resolution these days with graphics cards being so powerful.

If you can return the monitor I suggest you do. A minimum of 1440 vertical pixels is the bare minimum these days and if you have a 1080Ti or better then 4K is achievable. You won’t be able to have ultra wide I’m afraid. 16:9 is the 4K standard.

I’ve just noticed you have only Concorde 32-bit so are forced to run 1920*1080. I have to run my 4K display at that resolution. A short-term measure until the 64-bit version is released.

Vasco Patricio

Hi Ray.

Yep, past Concorde user. With all the GPU driver compatibilities, which have already been mentioned in the forum, I've not used it for more than a year now. Still have the p3dv3 but it's been a while since I've powered it on. So, now, mostly playing with the v4.

For the last year simming, I've been sticking to the Dash8q400 or the Maddog. Both, for me, the best birds around. They both are as real as it gets, as they can fail on you without notice and they feel more ''alive and real'' than any other bird I've flown.

Unfortunately, can't return this 1080p as it was bought 2nd hand :unsure:. It was kind of like a test to see how I dealt with a curved screen..:lol:

Per curiosity, I'm gaming an i7-4790k, with HT turned off, so basically an i5, cranked to 4.5ghz. Strange as it seems, I get the best performance out of the ''i5'' vs the i7. The screen is powered by a 1080ti.

And another curious fact... maybe it's the g-sync or whatever, but I'm getting a smoother FPS ride with this big monitor with higher res.

And as for the 64-Concorde...better wait seated confortably...:wacko:

And...last but not least, to @Jose Rodrigues... after seeing my ''countryman'' video, It'll probably go back to OLX...:lol::lol::lol:

• Thanks 1
Ray Proudfoot
8 hours ago, Vasco Patricio said:

Yep, past Concorde user. With all the GPU driver compatibilities, which have already been mentioned in the forum,

The driver problem only occurred if you use Spotlights. I’ve been running with later drivers without any problem.

If your monitor can run at 30Hz try that with Vsync enabled. Very smooth performance for me.

• 3 months later...
Dominik Jensen

Hi!

I just found that thread at my research for a new monitor: I finally want to go ultrawide. So, the one question that is left is: If I have a monitor that can support 3440 x 1440p, will I still be able to run P3d v4 and also MSFS with "only" 2560 x 1080p in any case? Or do I have to go for 3440 x 1440p then?

I'm convinced that 2560 x 1080p will still look as good as now, because the monitor in mind would have the same height as my current one at 1080p, it would just be wider.

On the other hand, if one day I could actually change to 3440 x 1440p without a huge performance penalty, then I wouldn't want to buy a new monitor once again.

I could get this one for 330€ for example, which isn't a lot more that most 1080p ultrawide monitors cost. Should I get it and could I stilll run the sims at 1080p?

Thanks in advance.