Separate system/P3D partitions?

Luke Hall

Luke Hall

Not specifically A320 related but as I mainly fly the A320, my system is set up for that purpose.

Question 1: Are there any advantages to having your OS and P3D installations on 2 separate physical drives, as opposed to having them in separate partitions on the same physical drive?

Ezio Cingolani

Luke,

after many years of using FSX/P3D and OS on two separate HDDs, I have since one year abandoned this philosophy and have Win10 and P3D in the same 525 Gb SSD. I can tell you that I see no adverse effect at all vs the previous configuration, and I believe that with modern hardware using two different drives is no longer helpful. I have not tested what Normal is suggesting (keeping swap file and sim on two separate drives) so I cannot comment on this.

Ezio

Dr T Maurice Murphy

I have 3 Windows 10 installations on 3 1TB SSD's and have P3D V4, P3D V3 and PSX SE installed, one to each Win 10 installation.  No perceived problems with any of it  -  except for when the original P3D V4 installation on the first drive flaked out.  An Acronis backup had me up and running again in under an hour.  Would not change this method as it works as *I* expect.  :)  Regards.

M.

Ezio Cingolani

Same here....FSX, P3DV3 and P3DV4...... three separate SSDs with three separate and independent Win10 installations and with each sim installed on the same SSD where OS is installed. Since P3DV4 release and with most addons manufacturers quickly catching up with 64b, the use of FSX and P3DV3 is becoming lower and lower, but apart from this, no problem whatsoever with this configuration.