737 FMC or MCP?

flyingfanatic333

flyingfanatic333

Hi,

I'm considering ordering myself a 737 FMC or MCP for Christmas from FDS. I was leaning toward the FMC, but the MCP would ease the departure and approach phases of the flight. I would like to see what you guys think.

Also, will the FlightSimLabs interfaces work with the Flight Deck Solutions hardware?

Lefteris Kalamaras

Chris-

From what I hear, Flight Deck Solutions produces top-notch hardware, well-respected among cockpit builders and enthusiasts.

At the moment, we haven't been contacted by anyone there to produce drivers specifically for their CDU or MCP, so there's no direct compatibility between their hardware and PMDG aircraft.

If you want to consider alternatives, the CPFlight hardware driver interfaces are undergoing testing so they should be available by the time you purchase your Christmas present.

Please understand that I am not endorsing any specific hardware over any other - just mentioning your driver solutions.

flyingfanatic333

Thanks for the input, Lefteris. I actually looked at CPFlight and Engravity products, however because of the sad state of the USD I would end up paying about $500 more for the CDU, for example. That is why I was looking at FDS. But I think I will go with the CDU because it is direct USB PnP, and seems very simple to setup and use.

Lefteris Kalamaras

Chris-

I would wholeheartedly recommend that you aim for an MCP as a first purchase. While the CDU may be a boon to use and enjoy while pre-flighting a situation, the MCP is used continuously during the flight, more so than the checks you occasionally do on a CDU.

That CDU can be your next purchase (Easter time or so ;-)).

flyingfanatic333

Thanks Lefteris. I've been in touch with Peter Cos over at FDS, and it sounds like the FDS MCP uses the same software as the CPFlight one. Is there a possibility that it could work with your interface?

flyingfanatic333

Disregard. I talked to Peter, and he said that it is slightly different. Unless there is a way that you can modify your software, I'll wait until the MCP interface is refined, sometime in September.

Lefteris Kalamaras

Chris-

In order for a specific driver to be produced for FDS hardware, there are specific requirements that have to be met (primarily that we need a couple hardware units in our hands for testing and quality assurance). We'll be more than happy to accomodate, if/when FDS contacts us, as they are considered very reputable in the flight sim cockpit builders market.

flyingfanatic333

I'm going to just sit it out for a few weeks, to see what the "new" FDS MCP is like and how it interfaces with FS. If worst comes to worst, I can always buy this one, and maybe a radio too:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...:*:IE-SearchBox

I've seen many people using this one with the 737.

Chris

I have the open cockpits one, i.m not sure which one your link linked to but they do have a newer version of it now with backlighting. Although their present MCP does lack some of the ability of the MCPPRO version, it is still a great product and considerably cheeper leaving you some pennies for that CDU (which they also do a KIT for now aswell)

Although the other MCP's on the market are all great,(Bar the goflight one which seems to have some problems with it from what i see on the forums) They are all locked down to drivers and have less ability to use them differently.

Opencockpits one, using their software gives you far more flexibility to use it with any aircraft you choose, and also to make the buttons do things maybe they wouldnt normally do, so for example i use it with the levelD 767 and so hence the CWS B button is configured instead to be autopilot 3®

I personally think this is the way forward, have generic hardware that can be programmed as needed, tweaked, enhanced, as needed by the simmer to whatever SIM they want. The Aircraft Manufactures need to make there software come with a open ended plug as it were so people can link their hardware to it, bit like your PC having a USB port. Just like LevelD and Project Magenta have done. If the rest follow suit PMDG will be certainly the new PSS. In fact if they want to maximuse their pennies, each aircraft could be released a bit like FSX was, a standard version and a deluxe version, the deluxe being a bit more expensive(A bit i said) but coming with a SDK that allows hardware to be interfaced to it whatever the hardware may be, not a case of buying 50 zillion different drivers to get a multitude of harware working otherwise at that rate, it'll be cheeper to buy your own 737.

Regards

James