Still unable to activate ConcordeX on Win10

Craig Udseth

Hi Lefteris.

Per your advice, I rolled back to 376.33 NVIDIA driver (I have a GTX 1060 Graphics card. )  The ConcordeX still crashes (FSX) as soon as the message displays "INS NAV MIX."   Each time I attempt to load the plane it welcomes me as a "NEW" purchaser so it must not be confirming my registration and completing the activation(?)  As I mentioned earlier, I checked my registry and the full serial number is present in a ConcordeX directory in HKEY_USERS.  Is the ConcordeX program looking for something on my computer to prove I am a licensed user before it allows me to fully activate?  As I also mentioned earlier, all the graphics and sound fully load  before it crashes.  I have full access to the panel during that brief interlude.  Support sent me a message directing me to check my computer to determine what the issue is.  The clue would be to know what it is that your activation process is searching for and not finding.  Win10 closes FSX with the message "error...restarting FSX" and event viewer does not give me anything definite.  Every other complex addon loads normally and works fine.  So I am at a loss!

Craig

Brandon Garcia
On 11/8/2017 at 10:26 AM, Craig Udseth said:

Hi Lefteris.

Per your advice, I rolled back to 376.33 NVIDIA driver (I have a GTX 1060 Graphics card. )  The ConcordeX still crashes (FSX) as soon as the message displays "INS NAV MIX."   Each time I attempt to load the plane it welcomes me as a "NEW" purchaser so it must not be confirming my registration and completing the activation(?)  As I mentioned earlier, I checked my registry and the full serial number is present in a ConcordeX directory in HKEY_USERS.  Is the ConcordeX program looking for something on my computer to prove I am a licensed user before it allows me to fully activate?  As I also mentioned earlier, all the graphics and sound fully load  before it crashes.  I have full access to the panel during that brief interlude.  Support sent me a message directing me to check my computer to determine what the issue is.  The clue would be to know what it is that your activation process is searching for and not finding.  Win10 closes FSX with the message "error...restarting FSX" and event viewer does not give me anything definite.  Every other complex addon loads normally and works fine.  So I am at a loss!

Craig

Hello Craig,

Have you received any assistance since you posted this?

The reason I ask is because my Concorde still ctd after I dialed back my NVidia driver to 376.33.

brandon

@Brandon:

I was wondering whether or not your issue had been resolved.  Ray must have mentioned our problem to Lefteris at the convention last week because he did send me an email as you noticed and gave me the same advice he gave you (roll back graphics driver) but that had absolutely no effect.  I didn't think it would because the CTD happens after all the graphics have loaded fully and correctly.  Everything looks great and is fully functional for about a minute or so then WIN10 sends the message that FSX has stopped working and is looking for solution, etc.  I have scoured my registry and consulted with the tech people that built my system and installed FSX for me.  They said everything is working the way it should.  It is something about the ConcordeX that is affecting those of us who have upgraded to Win10.  I can't believe that Lefteris would leave us hanging.  There must be others having the same issue.  I sent another email to support and they just sent me back the automatic confirmation but I have heard nothing from the team.  If I do, I will definitely report it to this forum.  Please do the same if you get any positive response

Craig.

Ray Proudfoot

Brandon & Craig,

Have a read through this thread especially near the end where Lefteris cracked the problem. I’m not saying it will solve yours but it does cover a lot of ground.

For the record I’m running 376.33 drivers without problem so I don’t think your issue is with those. I suspect Windows 10 but what part is unknown. It might be simconnect. Maybe.

Hey Ray! 

BTW, thanks for speaking to Lefteris on my behalf.  He did contact me but other than recommending the rollback, I have not heard from him.  In my case if you read through this post, I never had a graphics issue.  Everything loads up fine and is totally workable, then suddenly CTD.  The disk drive is running just before the CTD so the program is obviously searching for something.  Only Lefteris would know what that would be.  As far as being  caused by anything else, I have ruled it all out because I have my PMDG and Level-D planes flying superbly and I have ASN as well as GSX working fine.  All installs and downloads successfully run except ConcordeX!  Not that I flew it as much as you do, but I have always managed 2-3 flights a week for many years.  I really miss the challenge.  I hope that Andrew and Lefteris won't forget about us just because we are not current customers!  I really am interested in purchasing the A320 once it stabilizes but if they won't even help me get my Concorde back up, it doesn't bode well.  And yes it appears to be an exclusively Win 10 issue but more and more of FSL's base will be switching over in the near future.   Their ConcordeX simulation is in a class by itself and shouldn't be put on the back shelf just because they have a new cutting edge product on their forefront.

Ray Proudfoot

Hi Craig,

Are you still getting that registration problem? That seems linked to the INS NAV MIX issue perhaps. I can't really offer any more assistance but after speaking to Lefteris the other week he did say they are still working 12 hour days. He did sort out another issue using Team Builder but that took 5 hours of his time and was a very odd problem.

All I can suggest is you wait to hear from him. Not making excuses as they are very busy and I'm sure he'll get to you as soon as he can. He's very good at resolving things too so take some comfort from that.

Thanks, Ray!  I don't have much choice but to wait and hope he remembers my issue.  I did send an email again to support the other day but again only an automated response received so far.

Craig

Brandon Garcia
On 11/13/2017 at 2:26 PM, Craig Udseth said:

@Brandon:

I was wondering whether or not your issue had been resolved.  Ray must have mentioned our problem to Lefteris at the convention last week because he did send me an email as you noticed and gave me the same advice he gave you (roll back graphics driver) but that had absolutely no effect.  I didn't think it would because the CTD happens after all the graphics have loaded fully and correctly.  Everything looks great and is fully functional for about a minute or so then WIN10 sends the message that FSX has stopped working and is looking for solution, etc.  I have scoured my registry and consulted with the tech people that built my system and installed FSX for me.  They said everything is working the way it should.  It is something about the ConcordeX that is affecting those of us who have upgraded to Win10.  I can't believe that Lefteris would leave us hanging.  There must be others having the same issue.  I sent another email to support and they just sent me back the automatic confirmation but I have heard nothing from the team.  If I do, I will definitely report it to this forum.  Please do the same if you get any positive response

Craig.

Hello Craig,

I have done everything that has been suggested. The Win 10 update was the first reason for the immediate ctd, but the Win 10 update that I was told to uninstall was non-existent and it still is non-existent on my computer. After that I submitted a support ticket and was told by Lefteris to roll back my NVidia driver to 376.33 , so I did but that made zero impact because it ctd just as it has with NVidia's latest driver.

What I do find interesting, as I keep a record of these types of things, we can lookup the actual date when the Win 10 updates were installed and the same goes for a graphics driver. So if it is a Win 10 update issue, then why did the ConcordeX not begin its ctd failure immediately after the Win 10 updates were installed in September?  ConcordeX began ctd 2 weeks after any Win 10 updates had been installed.  So we have a situation where Win 10 updates had already been installed and ConcordeX was working just fine.

I used to have Win 7 and only the ConcordeX would cause an occasional ctd. To avoid a ctd in Win 7 I would reboot the computer in order to "refresh" the RAM.

When I installed the 1.39 version which corrected the OOM problem, I was already running Win 10 and the ConcordeX was running smoother than it ever had in Win 7.

The 747X and the MD-11X still work as they always have, along with every other add-on that I have which were developed after ConcordeX or before it.

The ConcordeX has not always been stable even after I installed version 1.39. It began to ctd when I loaded it from the FSX default Trike, I would restart FSX and load the ConcordeX from the FSX splash welcome screen and then click Fly Now and then that worked for a while, then after that it did not ctd for quite a few months this year from either the Trike or the FSX splash screen. Then in mid to late September, 2 weeks after any Win 10 updates or other updates it began all over again: ctd when I loaded it from the FSX default Trike, I would restart FSX and load the ConcordeX from the FSX splash screen and then click Fly Now and then that worked for a while, but now it always ctd.

The most interesting thing in this entire problem for me at least is this. I loaded the ConcordeX_Preliminary saved training flight to see what would work and for how long if I was lucky in it not ctd.  Several minutes went by with me changing views of the Concorde, panning around the outside, clicking on the drop down menu for ground power (which worked) and clicking on other drop down menus, etc.  It visually built the cockpit without an immediate ctd, and I could move around, look at different things, and click on things with the left mouse button. I could pull up the 2D cockpit or the vc, still no ctd. So I was excited. The strange thing is that while things were working, my right mouse button did not work. I could right click on my Taskbar but not in FSX while ConcordeX was running, this is a first and I have been a MSFS simmer since the early 1990's. After 5 minutes the sim began to slow down, the best way I can describe it was like my Intel i7 4th gen cpu was instantly replaced with a cpu from 20 years ago, and then it ctd. It reminded me of what it was like before version 1.39 with the OOM problem.

3 hours later I turned the computer back on to run the ConcordeX_Preliminary saved training flight to put a timer on it but it immediately ctd like it did when I would load it from the FSX Trike, and it still does now every single time. Keep in mind that there had not been any Win 10 updates, NVidia driver update, or any other update to any software on my computer within that 3 hour period of time. Ever since that time last week I still cannot get the ConcordeX_Preliminary to load as I did that one time without an instant ctd.

In my opening e-mail to support I asked if I should try to uninstall FSSpotlights, ConcordeX, and CIVA and then re-install it. To this day I have not received an answer to that question. Instead the answer was, roll back the NVidia driver.

If I come across a fix or a fix comes from someone else, I will immediately post the solution in this forum.

brandon

Ray Proudfoot

Brandon,

If it was me I would uninstall Concorde and Spotlights. Make sure all files in the remaining FSL folders are deleted together with those folders themselves. Make sure DLL.XML doesn't contain any FSL entries.

But you shouldn't need to uninstall CIVA. That is integral to Concorde and should uninstall at the same time. Do you have a separate installer for CIVA? I don't.

I agree it's a mystifying problem but as only Concorde is affected then an uninstall and reinstall may fix it.

This thread may be useful.  P3D and Microsoft    It would seem P3D v3 and W10 are having issues living together even after the latest update.  If nothing else it does make an interesting read, may be we have all joined the wrong team......many are now saying XP is looking good,  who knows?

BTW even though the update that caused many of the problems some users are experiencing ie KB4038788, it is more than likely already installed on your systems even though it does not appear in your  ‘update history’.  

All the best

Ray Proudfoot
5 minutes ago, Steve Prowse said:

This thread may be useful.  P3D and Microsoft    It would seem P3D v3 and W10 are having issues living together even after the latest update.  If nothing else it does make an interesting read, may be we have all joined the wrong team......many are now saying XP is looking good,  who knows?

But why would only Concorde be affected? His 747X and MD-11 work fine.

But I am curious why the right mouse button doesn't work. Does it work with Windows and other aircraft?

@Brandon/Ray:

I have uninstalled completely and deleted all remaining remnants of FSL/ConcordedX including  the CIVA folder (which does not uninstall), then I went manually into my registry and deleted anything to do with FSL or ConcordeX including my license/registration #.  I then re-installed first the base version V1.1 (since I do not have a full version SP2 only an ungrade requiring an installation of V1.1 first.)  I had been immediately applying the upgrade to SP2 but the last few attempts I have been trying to load up just ConcordeX v1.1 ( a version I used successfully for months before upgrading to SP2 back in 2010).  Like Brandon, I had originally always loaded my complex aircraft from a default 737-800 (or the tryke) and never had an issue.  With the PMDG 747 v3 I found it would CTD (on Win10)  if I didn't load it from the Welcome Screen (not even the tryke worked).  The PMDG NGX, however, can still be loaded from a default aircraft.  No matter what I try with ConcordeX, however, I have the same results as Brandon.  It is not an instant CTD but after a couple of minutes.  I, too, find the aircraft fully loaded and fully functional until the CTD.  Interesting that you (Brandon) had success at first using Win10.  I am new to it and, of course, naturally just assumed that ConcordeX does not work with Win10.  I wonder if there is a limit imposed by FSL to the number of times you can reinstall it.  It does track something as part of their security protocol.  I have never paid the $4.99 Lefteris mentioned in one of his posts.  When Brandon initially had success but later tries now are failing, could it be that somehow some limit has been exceeded?  I will have to reread Lefteris's post if I can find it.   In my case I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling way over 10 times over the last several weeks, all to no avail.  Of Course Brandon and I are using FSX not P3D so our we our problem may not exist for simmers using P3D (you have your own set of issues, of course!).  Also many users, including you, Ray, are fortunate enough to be still on a good OS (Win 7).  Unfortunately, my IT advisor said that my hardware would not run effectively on Win7.  It seems, however, that Ray has almost the same setup as I have, chipwise, anyway so I don't know if I quite buy that.  Truth, of course, is that products are no longer being developed for Win7 and it will just be a matter of time before MIcrosoft cuts off support.

I guess you (Brandon) and I need to hear from someone out there who is using FSX and ConcordeX successfully on Win10.  Lefteris spent 5 hours remoting into a computer only to find that it was a user issue not related to FSL or the Concorde.  I think he is now reluctant to pursue our issue to the extent that it will necessitate (perhaps a remote session with one of us).

Craig

I appreciate that the thread I linked to is for P3D.  However the bug that the update KB4038788 introduced will affect all 32 bit applications, as mentioned in the thread.  It will therefore cause problems in FSX.  This issue applies to Windows 10.  Might I suggest a quick look at the thread I linked to from about page 16.  In short it would seem then that this issue affects both FSX and P3D v3x, it also appears to affect not only Concorde but other aircraft.  I do not think this issue has anything to do with FSL, but Microsoft need to reexamine their updates and thence act upon their findings accordingly.  

Ray Proudfoot

Craig,

I can see you’re running v1.39 but via an update after first installing v1.1. You might ask to have the 1.39 installer even if there is a small charge. Just another difference between our setups.

Do you have any problems with the right mouse click? Brandon does so I’m just looking for similarities.

Why not try uninstalling all Microsoft Win 10 updates that you’ve installed since FSX has become unstable? It wouldn’t take long to establish if those might be responsible. Bit of a pain I know but the problems may be linked if you haven’t made any other changes to your FS PC except install those.

Hi Ray!

You're becoming a good friend!  I don't have the latest v1.39.  My latest is the SP2 from 2010.  As far as uninstalling updates, works great on Win7 but in Win10, only certain updates can be uninstalled and that unfortunately does not include any security updates by Microsoft.  I was able to prevent today's upgrade from installing only by stopping it before hand but as soon as I reboot my computer, it will automatically install itself.  Isn't Microsoft wonderful?

I was able to pull up my history of updates (not shown in my updates file for some reason) and Steve is right.  I do have the famous KB4041676 already installed in October and it was reinstalled for some reason back on Nov 9.  And I have several other more recent updates that do not showup in my update list.

I noticed that you mentioned deleting any reference to FSL or ConcordeX in my dll.xml file.  I thought I had, but alas, I hadn't.  So I have now deleted them and will try once again to install ConcordeX, but I am still curious about being required to pay the $4.99 when I reached my limit (which I am sure I have).  Maybe it is FSL, itself that is blocking the use of ConcordeX for both Brandon and me because we have already  exhausted our install limit, if such exits(?)

Craig

Ray Proudfoot

Hi, Craig,

I would urge you to get v1.39. That is probably the only supported version now. It improves VAS usage and may well fix other problems. If you have FSUIPC by Pete Dowson you’ll know he only supports the latest version. Otherwise it gets impossible to resolve things.

I don’t know what the rules are for a install limit, sorry. But $5 isn’t much to ask as FSL do have overheads.

If the only thing that has changed on your PC in recent months are Windows updates then they have to be responsible. But if all W10 Concorde owners were affected you’d know about it so it must be a local issue. Sorry I can’t help more.

Ask via a ticket for v1.39 and install that. I really wouldn’t bother with your existing version.

@Ray

That sounds good, Ray, but remember the other person on this post, Brandon Garcia, is having the exact same issue as I am and he is only using v1.39, so that can not be the answer.  Most people on this forum seem to still be using Win 7 like you.  The couple I have noticed with Win 10 are not using FSX but P3D and they are having issues as well.  You have the sweet spot, Ray, PD3 on Win 7 with powerful hardware.  I am seriously considering reformatting my drive and installing Win 7 with SP1 like you have.  The only difference in our equipment is my mother board and I have only the GTX 1060 graphics because I didn't intend to use P3D.  If and when I do I will upgrade my card.  I just received 4 new updates since 18z yesterday and just finished attempted to reinstall ConcordeX again after correcting my DLL file as you suggested.  It almost seemed to work but as soon as "INS loaded...Nav Mode Mix" message displayed across the screen then Windows flashed "A fatal error has occurred....FSX is restarting" and it was all over!  I am convinced that even if we find a solution, the next Win 10 upgrade will muck it up again.  Thanks, Microsoft.

I have been simming since Bruce Ardwick introduced the flight simulator for Commodore 64 back in 1982. And after he sold it to Microsoft it became the flagship for all their new graphic developments.  Each new version of Windows came with a new version of flight simulator to showcase the improvements.  In those days they would never have considered upgrading anything that would have negatively affected the performance of their beloved flight simulator program.  Lockheed-Martin may be breathing new life into Flight Simulator, but they are still at the mercy of the Geeks at Microsoft who control the operating system and have proven to be able to bring us all to our knees without warning!  (Sorry, my rant!)

Craig

Ray Proudfoot

Craig, obviously you’re experienced in FS and know what you’re doing. The only reason I suggested you install v1.39 is it removes any possibility the older version might be responsible. There may be other differences between Brandon’s PC and yours.

What info is shown in Event Viewer? It might be worth either posting it here or giving it to FSL in a ticket. I do think you’re going to have to wait for a response from FSL. I can’t believe there is a general incompatibility between Concorde and Win 10.

I hope you get an answer soon without having to install Win 7.