Advice on GPU

Bruno Duarte

Hello all!

I need help choosing a new video card to use with P3Dv4. I've read a lot of threads all around the internet but I still can't make a decision, mainly because apparently it depends a lot on my specs, so it becomes almost a case by case solution (for not experts like myself).

My system is a i7-4790k 4GHz with 16GB RAM (both planned to be upgraded only after 2-3 years if needed) and a 24" full HD monitor (don't intend to go 4k anytime soon). I also plan on buying TrackIR sometime in the near future. Multimonitors I plan on using only for gauges, for the time being.

Many people recommend the 1080Ti, but it seems to me that my system would not be able to benefit from it, especially the monitor. Am I right? The next best thing is the 1080, would that suit me well or is it still a waste? What about the 1070?

Could anybody point me to a direction? Thank you!

Regards,

Bruno.

Edited by Bruno Duarte
Changed "in the next" to "after"
Troy Krajancic

"Many people recommend the 1080Ti, but it seems to me that my system would not be able to benefit from it, especially the monitor. Am I right?" 

With regard to the 1080ti I would agree for P3D V3.x, but V4.x uses dynamic lighting which is GPU hungry and you would certainly benefit from a 1080ti.

• Thanks 1
Andrew Wilson

Hi Bruno -

If you can stretch to the 1080Ti, you won't be disappointed. I'm running one here and it's fantastic.

We hooked it up to a 4k TV at the Cosford Flight Sim Show last weekend and it performed very well.

• Thanks 1

Hello,

I have a 1080ti as well. I'm running a 4K with 6700k and the card is a monster. Don't hesitate to go 4K if you can. It's really the only way to go as far as immersion is concerned. Once you experience it you'll  never go back I promise.

• Thanks 1

@Andrew Wilson and @Jbaird, thank you, I'll keep the 4K suggestion in mind!

If I find that I really can't go 4K now, would you still recommend the 1080Ti?

I understand the line of thought that I would be prepared for future upgrades, but by then (could be a few years) won't there be newer cards?

Kind regards,

Bruno.

Hi Bruno,

The 1080ti is great for 4K, better FPS, and it has 11GB of VRAM. Other cards have between 3-8GB. There will always be new cards without a doubt. The extra 3GB  allows you to push the limits a little farther( CFG tweaks, dynamic lighting) 

like anything it's about the budget you have for this hobby. I had a 1080 and it's a great card without a doubt. I just wanted a little more room to push the limit so I upgraded.

hope this helps you 

jeff 

• Thanks 1

Here is the way I see it, with the 1080ti you would be able to run more sliders right and run more AA than you would a 1070.

I currently use a 1070 and run a 4k display. it does work pretty good, but a 1080ti would allow me to run higher settings.

• Thanks 1