Name That Sound

Aaron Lee

Hello fellow A320 fanatics!

As we patiently look forward to the release of the new A320, I thought I'd provide a little A320 trivia for you. I bet most A320 fans here may be familiar with this sound but do you know what it is? Would be cool to have this sound implemented but it's external only and only under certain conditions so probably not the best investment of development time to reproduce this.

Let's hear your answers die-hard Airbus fans!

A320_Name that sound.mp3

Whistling sound  of air passing over (i think ...) the fuel overflow release valve, and which has only recently been identified and corrected on most BA (and maybe some other airlines) with an aftermarket modification?

1 hour ago, rm2242 said:

Whistling sound  of air passing over (i think ...) the fuel overflow release valve, and which has only recently been identified and corrected on most BA (and maybe some other airlines) with an aftermarket modification?

Bingo! We have a winner. rm2242 identified correctly. The famous Airbus "whine" is caused by vent holes on the underside of the wings called Fuel Over Pressure Protectors or FOPP. These are installed on the vent surge and inner wing tanks and are clearly visible on our FSL A320 models. As such, during approach phase, the holes act the same as if you blew air over a bottle but on a much larger scale and produce that characteristic harmonic whine. newer Airbus models come with a very cheap air deflector which dramatically reduces this noise. Older models can be retrofitted with the same device. Listen below for before and after retrofit sounds where you can clearly hear the absence of the whine after a retrofit. Search a320whine and you will find a site that explains in detail. This site is the source of the audio file I uploaded earlier - Just wanted to provide credit!

Aaron

A320 Before Retrofit_Whine.mp3

A320_After Retrofit_No Whine.mp3

Alaister Kay

I hear this all the time where I live on the Sussex coast. At night when aircraft get more directs into Gatwick they fly straight over and you can always tell the A320 families. (To the other extreme when the TUI 787's pass over you hardly hear anything - but let's keep this Airbus related lol)

Andrew Wilson
On 9/13/2017 at 2:41 PM, Aaron Lee said:

Would be cool to have this sound implemented but it's external only and only under certain conditions so probably not the best investment of development time to reproduce this.

It's already in our sound set :)

• Like 4
20 hours ago, rm2242 said:

I win the accolade of being a truly sad plane geek! :)

Haha but aren't we all? How geeky is it to think about it enough to actually look it up....only to find information on it! I'm still trying to find video evidence which proves that the Airbus spoilers make a VERY audible noise to folks on the ground as they extend and retract. Anyone here know what I'm talking about? 

Aaron

Jonathon Vaughan
Haha but aren't we all? How geeky is it to think about it enough to actually look it up....only to find information on it! I'm still trying to find video evidence which proves that the Airbus spoilers make a VERY audible noise to folks on the ground as they extend and retract. Anyone here know what I'm talking about? 

Aaron
It's a strange sound isn't it! I notice it from the flightdeck as well. Generally happens around about half deflection or greater. On the ground I've been with friends and they hear the noise and think the plane's engines are dying *facepalm*

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

It's a strange sound isn't it! I notice it from the flightdeck as well. Generally happens around about half deflection or greater. On the ground I've been with friends and they hear the noise and think the plane's engines are dying *facepalm*

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

And for years I thought it was the engines throttling down to idle. I asked a 320 captain about it and even he was like "huh, didn't know that!" And I looked that up too. Still can't find a sound recording but I did find research being done to create Fractal Spoilers on A320 to reduce noise. Interesting.

Aaron
Karl Brooker

It's a very distinctive "whooo" noise with a descending pitch - this is how I could usually tell the difference between an EZ A320 and Ryanair 737 descending into Liverpool if they got vectored over my previous house. If I jumped on Plane Finder or FlightRadar24 then I'd usually see them a little higher/faster than usual which would explain the use of the speed brakes.

G€offr€y F€rnand€z

Ok ! I am stucked by this thread ! :mellow:

It is so incredible to hear that ! I always believed it was a sound from the engine ! So much difference in noise emission and we had to wait for 2014 to see the air deflector  ?

And now, I wonder what are the benefit of the holes to equalize the pressure.... The pressure inside the wing is not to the environment pressure enough ? Is the fuel tank directly in contact with the air through this hole ?