64-bit Concorde - why no firm commitment?

Ray Proudfoot

Ray Proudfoot

I have to say that I feel those of us who fly Concorde are feeling quite left out of this 64-bit party. Instead of another Airbus variation why not convert Concorde to 64-bit first?

It was your flagship aircraft until the A320 was released but all we see in the Announcement by Lefteris is a small paragraph well down the text saying an upgrade may be visited and the door is not closed. That seriously worries me. It sounds a long way from a definite commitment.

May I ask why there is no promise to produce a 64-bit version of Concorde? Is it more difficult technically than the Airbus? There are other versions of the Airbus available. Concorde pilots are reliant on FS Labs. Please don't let us down.

• Like 3
Mark Wolpert

I totally understand the desire to convert the A320 first.  Airbus is where the customers and dollars are, Concorde is a specialty item.  Having said that it would be nice to get a solid commitment that it will be converted over (even if that involves a reasonable upgrade cost to current users).  Concorde is so prone to OOM's that it is a very real need in a 64 bit sim.

• Like 4
Ray Proudfoot

I don't disagree about the A320 getting priority. What concerns me is the lack of any enthusiasm about converting Concorde.

I am not bothered about any upgrade cost. I don't expect it to be free. But not converting it to a platform where it would shine is pretty depressing.

Mark Wolpert

I really think it will ultimately be converted over.  It appears....and I say appears from listening to other developers on the AirDailyX live stream that converting over from V3 to V4 is not overly difficult....of course that may not be the case with FSL products.  Let's hope it gets done soon, no question this is the future of serious flight sim.

Ray Proudfoot

Then why the reticence Mark? Unless the gauges are very complex. Or the INS? Something from Andrew would be appreciated.

Mark Wolpert

I was just thinking about the INS.  If Simufly are not updating to 64 bit P3D v4 then it becomes a very challenging task for FSL to port over Concorde.  

Ray Proudfoot
10 minutes ago, Mark Wolpert said:

I was just thinking about the INS.  If Simufly are not updating to 64 bit P3D v4 then it becomes a very challenging task for FSL to port over Concorde.  

All the more reason for clarification from FS Labs.

Andrew Wilson

We cannot offer further clarification on details we have not evaluated for ourselves. 

Put simply - all of our focus is on the A32X at this time. Once we can free up resources to evaluate the requirements for making Convorde-X compatible with our 64bit infrastructure, we'll then be in a position to make more informed decisions about the title.

• Like 1
Ray Proudfoot

Thanks for the info Andrew. So you're being non-committal because you haven't the resources to investigate the difficulty of converting to 64-bit. Understood.

I sincerely hope a conversion is possible. You'll appreciate that hearing about P3D v4 earlier today and then reading Lefteris's post has been emotionally turbulent.

Fingers crossed things go smoothly for you and a conversion is possible. I know you love this aircraft as much as the rest of us.

Ray Proudfoot
3 hours ago, AhadOC said:

im disgusted 

None of us are happy about this but let's keep it civil. FSL have limited resources and Concorde-X is dependent on the 3rd party INS program.

• Like 1
Mark Wolpert

I will end up just running P3D v3 and v4.  I will setup v3 for Concorde only so can not bother to install Orbx Vector and regions which kill VAS.  Only need to install a few key Concorde airports and all set.  We spend most of our time in Concorde on the systems so really not a major issue.  Hopefully a year from now we will have it in v4 but no need worry too much.

Ray Proudfoot

I registered on the CIVA forum and posted a new topic asking about the INS and Concorde specifically. It seems Marco needs the SDK but hopefully LM will make that available soon. If any Concorde lovers wish to add their comments here is the topic. You will need to register first. Doesn't take long. ;)

http://www.simufly.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1496075111

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
Harvey Riches

I do know that no one has commented recently but there is word that the third party addon has been updated for use with P3D V4. this should be really good news to all the Concorde lovers and for FSLabs which makes there life easier and maybe get rid of the thought of scrapping the idea of a 64bit Concorde. ;)

http://www.simufly.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1496075111

https://concordeperformancesystem.org/cps-x-latest-version-build-735-ready-for-p3d-v4/

• Like 1
Ray Proudfoot

@harvey, did you not read Marco's last post in which he said that a 64-bit Concorde will not work with CIVA64 v1.60.

How much work is involved by either him or FSL to make it compatible is still unknown.

Bodson Sébastien

It is a bit like Quality Wings FSLABS they put on their site that their 787 arrives in the summer and in the end we learn this morning that it is not before 6 months, so it is in my country that there is A problem with the seasons but the summer does not last 10 months finally I think

I was very tempted buy Concorde X. If it ever was upgraded to P3Dv4 I'd happily give in to my desire for it.

From what I remember the model has been a bit older when it was converted to P3D in the first place. Maybe upgrading it is just as much work as rebuilding it from scratch. Then it would be more than understandable if the devs didn't make any firm commitments. Especially when there are several Airbus projects in the pipeline already.

cu
Roman

6 hours ago, Antiloppe said:

It is a bit like Quality Wings FSLABS they put on their site that their 787 arrives in the summer and in the end we learn this morning that it is not before 6 months, so it is in my country that there is A problem with the seasons but the summer does not last 10 months finally I think

This has absolutely nothing to do with anything that has been said. I am sorry but you cannot compare something said on AN OTHERS  forum to any discussion in this topic. I also notice that in your forum signature, you do not show as a registered Concorde owner.

Lefteris Kalamaras
1 hour ago, John Barnes said:

This has absolutely nothing to do with anything that has been said. I am sorry but you cannot compare something said on AN OTHERS  forum to any discussion in this topic. I also notice that in your forum signature, you do not show as a registered Concorde owner.

Nor is he respecting the forum rules regarding the need to have his display name be his full real name... Unless his real name is Antiloppe :).

Norman Blackburn
13 hours ago, Lefteris Kalamaras said:

Nor is he respecting the forum rules regarding the need to have his display name be his full real name... Unless his real name is Antiloppe :).

Im sure Sebastian can fix that, can't you @Antiloppe

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't bought the Concorde x v3 because it was too close from v4 release and then, pointless for a full price buy.

However, if a v4 is released, I take it day 1. It's the best possible aircraft for this sim.

• 1 month later...

I'm sure you all are already aware, but the developer of the INS reports that he got it working! :

"I was able to get a P3DV4 License and test Civa and Civac gauges. After some fighting I'm happy to announce that 64 bit version of both gauges work very well. Not only gauges but also the SDK and the Civa XML Bridge were successfully compiled in 64 bit mode and were tested to be working."

Ray Proudfoot

Thanks John. I wonder if it will work with Concorde. I’ve asked Marco the question.

Lefteris Kalamaras

Asked what question exactly Ray?

There's no Concorde in x64 that I am aware of :).

The INS was not the primary reason - we've discussed this already haven't we.

Ray Proudfoot

Hi Lefteris,

Marco explicitly stated a few weeks ago that the version he was working on would not be compatible with Concorde-X. I was only wondering if he had modified his code to make it compatible with a 64-bit Concorde should that become available.

I haven't forgotten our conversation.

• Like 1

Well I’m following what my mate Dan Parkin suggested:

It's perfectly clear what their position is, it's probably time for you to firstly accept it, then to accept you can't change it, you'll be much happier as a result.”

May be we should all follow what he has suggested.  So let’s just forget about Concorde being upgraded to 64bit.  We can still enjoy flying  her on FSX, FSX SE, and P3D v3.  In any case at my age....I should be so lucky to ever see it released !   

All the best.

A very happy Concorde simmer :(

Hello,

i repeat again, the p3d v4 is not a fully 64bit sim. Lockheed build a 64bit architekture for landscape, not more. The basic is still always 32bit. I find it a pity, to fly the concorde in p3d and before i arrive my destination, comes "oom". I think there are many concorde-pilots and me personally, would be willing to pay the update. Other addons, or publisher of aircrafts have the same installer from fsx, to p3dv4, and bring the update shortly. I m just disappointed with the way the concorde theme is cut, after all, the concorde was the first airplane, that made fslabs.

Best Regards from Valen alias Ron Hoffmann (full real name)

23 minutes ago, Valen73 said:

Hello,

i repeat again, the p3d v4 is not a fully 64bit sim. Lockheed build a 64bit architekture for landscape, not more. The basic is still always 32bit.

And where did you get that information from?

Also you need to change your display name as for the forum rules. Not sure signing with you real name is good enough. Maybe @Karl Brooker knows if it is? :huh:

Cheers,

Lars

10 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Please do not let this discussion get the topic locked.

In my eye's it's better to lock question topics at the moment when there is an awnser. Especially to avoid speculation or questions why things are the way they are. We have seen it with enough topics, like people asking about SP1 for FSX. I'm sure I have seen more then three topics on this in the past week :ph34r:.

Cheers,

Lars

4 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Please do not let this discussion get the topic locked

It already is Mr Proudfoot,  FSL are not going to upgrade Concorde in any shape or form.  So yeah topic locked...if you get my meaning.

all the best

Ray Proudfoot
3 minutes ago, Steve Prowse said:

It already is Mr Proudfoot,  FSL are not going to upgrade Concorde in any shape or form.  So yeah topic locked...if you get my meaning.

all the best

Steve,

Did I miss their statement where they said that? The only statement I've seen is the one saying they have yet to look at what is involved. Once they do then a decision will be made one way or another.

Don't mistake silence for a negative decision. ;)

12 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Steve,

Did I miss their statement where they said that? The only statement I've seen is the one saying they have yet to look at what is involved. Once they do then a decision will be made one way or another.

Don't mistake silence for a negative decision. ;)

Mr Proudfoot, smell the coffee.....have you seen anything from FSL that even suggests that they will  look at Concorde.  We both know that there is a huge difference between ‘would like to’ and we will.  Let me read from FSL something like:  We have every intention to upgrade Concorde, or we will be upgrading it.   It is just not going to happen...topic locked.

bye

We're beating a dead horse here. Topic will be locked.

@Valen73 You must set your screen name to your real name, to comply with forum rules.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Karl Brooker locked this topic