P3D v4

Steve Prowse

Steve Prowse

With the announcement from LM that they will be releasing version 4 of their flight sim; I was wondering; are you going to make Concorde compatible with it?   

Ray Proudfoot

Hi Steve. I would very much hope so. Lefteris has already answered a few posts on that subject regarding the A320. He's non-committal on any upgrade price as they probably need to work out how much work is involved.

But such is my love for Concorde I would probably pay whatever was asked given the benefits of flying it in a 64-bit P3D.

I would hope the cockpit graphics could be looked now there is no restrictions on bitmap quality. They don't have unlimited manpower of course so some things may be deferred.

I did briefly plug in my PC to my 55" OLED TV which was probably a mistake as it gave me an insight into what it would look like in 4K. Yum yum! :D

Hopefully the team will deliver us a 64-bit compatible Concorde that will see me out. :D

• Like 1
Aurelien Vandoorine

I definitely would like too. Although I must say I would not be disappointed if there were no updates and they could make a new version, or at least review the 3D cockpit which is really lagging behind :)

Mike Ionas
15 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Not encouraging news for owners of the world's only supersonic airliner. :(

..but not entirely disappointing either. There is still hope! ;)

Ray Proudfoot
4 minutes ago, Mike Ionas said:

..but not entirely disappointing either. There is still hope! ;)

"...so that door is not closed yet." Given Concorde was released first I would have hoped it would get priority. But yes, I live in hope.

• Like 1
Mike Ionas

Unfortunately it is an intimidating aircraft and most virtual pilots do not dare go near it..

Ray Proudfoot
1 minute ago, Mike Ionas said:

Unfortunately it is an intimidating aircraft and most virtual pilots do not dare go near it..

Tarts!! :D

• Like 2
Ramón Cutanda

I have just read the "Prepar3D v4 Roadmap and compatibility" announcement and I just feel devastated.

For me, it really sounds like "That was it" and makes me really, really sad. If there is an aircraft that could benefit from a 64-bit environment that is, no doubt, Concorde-X. What really scares me was reading "We are looking into that possibility". If updating Concorde-X to P3D is only a "possibility", then, there is the possibility, also, of not updating (ever). That idea is reinforced in the sentence "We would love to revisit the Concorde-X". I really miss reading "We will revisit the Concorde-X (sometime)". Finally, reading  "that door is not closed for good yet." makes me understand that the possibility of "closing the [upgrading Concorde-X to P3D v4] door for good" has been seriously considered. And that really scares and saddens me. I do hope being completely wrong in my understanding of Lefteris words...

Ray Proudfoot

Hi Ramon. Yes, I am seriously concerned by the tone of that statement. I have posted a new message in the General section where I think it has a better chance of being seen by Lefteris and the team.

Fraser Gale

Something else that concerns me is if you fly the A320 (as I do) as well as Concorde, will we be able to run two versions of P3d to run the two aircraft or am I stuck in 32-bit land??! If I get stuck I'm afraid I will stop flying the modern flying PC and stay with the rather more intellectually constructed Concorde.  

My friend who is a retired A320 captain will be appalled at that statement but frankly, watching a computer fly you over the planet is rather dull in comparison to Concorde.  I tend to fly the BA shuttles. 

Rather sad - almost feels like history repeating for our beautiful white swan.

Frazz

Norman Blackburn

You can have them both (all) installed on the same system without issue.

Ray Proudfoot

Frazz,

You can rest easy. If desired you can have P3D v1, 2 and 3 running alongside v4 should you wish to. I read that in AvSim earlier today.

Yes, I feel the same as you. Surely it can't go the way of the real aircraft and never see 64-bit. I would be immensely sad. :(

Kristoffer Lokke-Sorensen

I agree with you all - the Concorde must prevail! Let's hope the virtual version don't end up like the real world one: left to die by the manufacturer: Airbus. 

I really don't get why most simmers will not touch the Concorde! Actually - I do understand why: they find it too complicated. You can't just jump in and fly. It has a steep learning curve, but thats also why it's one of the most brilliant flight sim aircraft ever made: it never gets boring! I've only flown the A320X a handful of times, before I got bored. Sure, the simulation of all the systems etc is a masterpiece, it's still boring after a while. 

If FSLabs would have modernized the flight deck/VC with more up to date graphics, click spots etc, it would probably help it gain more traction amongst the more novice simmers..or maybe not: spoke to a younger colleague today, who happens to be an aviation enthusiast, who had never heard about the Concorde(!), but got very excited when he realized how spectacular, and how ahead of its time it was. Anyway - hopefully young simmers will appreciate it if it got some 2017 TLC, and fall in love with it;)

I'm not holding my breath though..:/

• Like 1
Anthony Pape

My main worry is a FSX steam user, should I buy v3 for the sole purpose of rebuying the Concorde for p3d and waiting for v4; and that sounds pricey.  It sounds like all of my sceneries should transfer easy enough; but the expensive PMDGs I've bought for FSX and being forced to buy again really makes me hesitate.  

On the other hand; 64x with my current set up I really would be missing out staying with FSX steam.

And another question, are most of you P3D users on the academic license or Pro?  

Edited by supa325
forgot a question
Steve Prowse
7 hours ago, Ramón Cutanda said:

I have just read the "Prepar3D v4 Roadmap and compatibility" announcement and I just feel devastated.

That is how I feel too Ramon, I really am.  If Concorde isn't made compatible, 64 bit, then I do feel that sales will even further just dry up, with all that implies.   

11 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Hopefully the team will deliver us a 64-bit compatible Concorde that will see me out. :D

Well Ray I'm in my sixties now and like you I've really enjoyed every single minute of our hobby for the last twenty plus years; I too thought I just might get to see our Concorde using a 64 bit platform. It doesn't look like it now.  Still, there is some hope, since the Concorde door is still ajar.  Right now I, like all Concorde simmers must, feel gut punched!  

I guess then FSX  'will see me out' since I only use Majestic's Q4, some GA, and Concorde.

All the very best,

Fraser Gale

interestingly, on the subject of a lot of sim pilots not wishing to fly Concorde, this is also true to real life.  It is a complete myth albeit a popular one, that every pilot in BA wanted to get on the fleet but couldn't due to the low number of crew required. There were many BA pilots (a friend of mine included) who never wanted to go near the thing, due to the very limited route structure and the fact that the conversion course was difficult and the longest in the business. You were also stuck on fleet for around 5 to 7 years at least, without the chance to bid onto other fleets because it cost the company around £250,000 for each conversion course. 

You would also earn less money than an equivalent rank on say a 747 because you missed out on layover bonuses etc. 

So, again, this is very true to life.

Ray Proudfoot
8 hours ago, supa325 said:

My main worry is a FSX steam user, should I buy v3 for the sole purpose of rebuying the Concorde for p3d and waiting for v4; and that sounds pricey.  It sounds like all of my sceneries should transfer easy enough; but the expensive PMDGs I've bought for FSX and being forced to buy again really makes me hesitate.  

On the other hand; 64x with my current set up I really would be missing out staying with FSX steam.

And another question, are most of you P3D users on the academic license or Pro?  

P3D v3 is a better sim than FSX. Can't speak for Steam as I never installed it. Handles VAS better and with sensible settings I'm getting great fps at places like Heathrow.

My sceneries are fine in P3D albeit with different installers easily available.

I'm on the Academic licence. Small watermark top right but you soon get used to it. Given the Airbus update to 64-bit is being offered free I would imagine the same would apply to Concorde should it go ahead. I think the reason FSL are being hesitant is 1) they don't have the manpower to analyse the upgrade and 2) the INS is a 3rd party utility so they're dependent on that author.

If it was me I'd buy a P3D licence now. You'll have to when and if a 64-bit version is available and the price difference won't be that much.

• Like 1
Kyprianos Biris
11 hours ago, Ramón Cutanda said:

Same here, devastated.

@Andrew Wilson where's that passion that drove SSTSim that eventually was an integral part of the creation of FSLabs ? Is it all gone ?

I do understand @Lefteris Kalamaras's roadmap post and to me it means "our core business is the Airbus, this is what feeds us".

IMHO judging from the time it took to develop the Airbus I feel there is no future in Concorde and I do not refer only to a 64 bit version but also the ironing out of the remaining small "issues" of the 32 bit. We have not seen any activity since Sept. 2016 and that was only to catch up with P3D incremental updates (while in the process little things were damaged and not repaired).

Isn't there some time available to work (yes, finance) on the Concorde as your passion, your hobby, as your first child that as time passes go by it still needs some support ?

We flightsimmers from the other side do spend money on our hobby, when it comes to quality the freebie is non existent. Why can't you see it this way ? Your passion deserves some budget.

Why Concorde falling back so much as being the last of the last priorities ?

I wish you (plural) could see this as a unique achievement, a company's first trademark (beyond the Airbus that followed much later), and keep it alive within your higher priorities.

• Like 4
Ray Proudfoot
3 hours ago, Steve Prowse said:

Well Ray I'm in my sixties now and like you I've really enjoyed every single minute of our hobby for the last twenty plus years; I too thought I just might get to see our Concorde using a 64 bit platform. It doesn't look like it now.  Still, there is some hope, since the Concorde door is still ajar.  Right now I, like all Concorde simmers must, feel gut punched!  

I guess then FSX  'will see me out' since I only use Majestic's Q4, some GA, and Concorde.

All the very best,

Hi Steve,

I wouldn't get too despondent. They clearly have limited resources and it's the INS that is causing the problem. If the author of that doesn't provide a 64-bit then it looks difficult. But if he's clever enough to produce an INS then why wouldn't he upgrade it to a 64-bit? he has exclusivity so stands to make a few bob. And it will be a very long time before a 128-bit version is needed. So providing he has the skills then I would expect a 64-bit version to become available.

That in turn should open the doors for FSL to upgrade Concorde albeit after the Airbus is completed.

There is a discussion forum for the CIVA INS. It might be worth our while registering and asking the question.

http://www.simufly.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?catselect=civa

Andrew Wilson
Just now, petakas said:

Isn't there some time available to work (yes, finance) on the Concorde as your passion, your hobby, as your first child that as time passes go by it still needs some support ?

Kyp,

If we say we have no time to work on the Concorde - what are we supposed to do? Not sleep? Not eat? 

We are already putting 16 hours a day into the A3XX. We don't have 'spare' time - that's a luxury other people have. Not us.

We've said we'll take a look at the Concorde-X when we have time. We are not a charity - we are a business, and as the A32X series is far more popular than Concorde-X, that is where our attention must be placed first. Irrespective of any personal feelings.

• Like 3
Ray Proudfoot

Andrew,

I understand your reasons why you're prioritising the Airbus given FSL is a business. Perhaps you could just clarify if the INS is the stumbling block when it comes to converting Concorde to 64-bit.

If it is then I'm sure many of us will write to its author on his forum and plead for a 64-bit version of CIVA INS.

Karl Brooker

@petakas Just a polite reminder that we have a "real name" rule on our forums. Please update your display name to reflect your full name please, thanks.

Kyprianos Biris
1 hour ago, Karl Brooker said:

Just a polite reminder that we have a "real name" rule on our forums. Please update your display name to reflect your full name please, thanks.

Sure, my real name is in my signature image, the one on top. Its simply not freetext to avoid it being phished by web searching tools.

Kyprianos Biris
1 hour ago, Andrew Wilson said:

Irrespective of any personal feelings.

Thanks, understood Andrew. You still did not answer me about the (your) passion though ;)

Kyprianos Biris
1 hour ago, Andrew Wilson said:

We wouldn't be doing this if we weren't passionate about what we do. I think that goes for any developer :)

You won't slip away that easily. :P

OK to put it more straight: What are you more passionate for, the Concorde or the Airbus ?

I understood it does not make any difference when it comes to business, I just want your statement :D

Lefteris Kalamaras
4 hours ago, petakas said:

Sure, my real name is in my signature image, the one on top. Its simply not freetext to avoid it being phished by web searching tools.

Kyp-

that will not suffice, I am afraid - you can, however, change it to include dashes in between, like others with similar concerns have done.

Julius Haager

I really hope, that a V4-Version of the Concorde will be available in the future. The Concorde is one of the best products on the addon market.
I remembered when I started reading books and additional material about the Concorde, that FSLabs truly did an outstanding job in simulating the real world counterpart.

I really hope that a conversion to V4 will be done - with or without visual improvements.

Steve Prowse

Hi Julius

58 minutes ago, Julius Haager said:

I really hope, that a V4-Version of the Concorde will be available in the future. The Concorde is one of the best products on the addon market.
I remembered when I started reading books and additional material about the Concorde, that FSLabs truly did an outstanding job in simulating the real world counterpart.

I really hope that a conversion to V4 will be done - with or without visual improvements.

We all share your hope here on the forum.  Please note what the Boss said:

' We would love to revisit the Concorde-X however, so that door is not closed for good yet. We will make a decision on this matter once the new x64 platforms have been stable for awhile.'

So it seems that all we can do now is wait......until P3D is stable.

All the best

Mirza Beg

im so disgusted by the staff's disregard to their very loyal concorde customers. We already have enough airbus makers focus on the concorde otherwise you guys only care about money.

We would love to revisit the Concorde-X however, so that door is not closed for good yet. We will make a decision on this matter once the new x64 platforms have been stable for awhile.'

So it seems that all we can do now is wait......until P3D is stable.

TRANSLATION = FSLabs doesn't give 2 poops about the concorde anymore nor its ORIGINAL VERY FIRST/ SUPER LOYAL CUSTOMERS and has gotten greedy

Mirza Beg

Lefteris Kalamaras

Dear Mirza,

We have responded twice now to clarify our position regarding the Concorde-X. We are passionate about the hobby, but unfortunately, passion does not feed our children. We love the Concorde as much as you do (I'd argue we love it more - we devoted quite a few years of our lives developing the sim product in many iterations) but we need to be pragmatic about the situation and the market demand at this time.

To put it simply: Our resources are finite - and limited. If we are not extremely careful where our time is spent, the risk will be that we will be out of business - and that will certainly guarantee that there will never be any further release of the Concorde-X.

Regarding your (foul) language - I will chalk that one up to extreme sadness and disappointment and will let it go - this one time. Please do not continue disrespecting your peers. If you do, I will have no alternative but to enforce our forum rules.

PS. I am noticing this thread going downhill rapidly. If this trend continues it will be locked without any further warning. Be respectful, everyone.

• Like 5
Ray Proudfoot

Agreed this thread needs to stay civil. Whilst disappointed there will be no immediate work done on Concorde I am sufficiently convinced by the tone of Lefteris's and Andrew's comments that they will look at Concorde as soon as resources permit.

In any case having only moved to P3D v3 in the last month or so I'm in no immediate rush to switch to v4. Concorde flies faster in a 32-bit environment than an Airbus in a 64-bit one. :D

• Like 3
Steve Prowse
4 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Concorde flies faster in a 32-bit environment than an Airbus in a 64-bit one.

Nice one Ray....:lol:

all the best

• Like 1
Mirza Beg
On 5/25/2017 at 7:55 AM, Lefteris Kalamaras said:

Kyp-

that will not suffice, I am afraid - you can, however, change it to include dashes in between, like others with similar concerns have done.

I apologize for my foul language but I was only trying to express my frustration. .. I was simply speaking my mind. I was just saying how some concorde customers feel with the recent news about the airbus getting amore attention and how it looks from our point of view I wasn't trying to start anything and if it came off wrong i do apologize but It does seem like the concorde Isn't getting the upgrades it deserves. Thanks

Mirza Beg Loyal FSlabs Concorde Supporter

Eytan Ofir

thats horrbile that after you buy an addon for 80 dollers and eveyone is moving to the new sim the concorde is being left behaind really dissapointed fslabs ... really

Lefteris Kalamaras
2 hours ago, Eytan Ofir said:

thats horrbile that after you buy an addon for 80 dollers and eveyone is moving to the new sim the concorde is being left behaind really dissapointed fslabs ... really

Did you bother to read the thread at all? I guess not - I am locking this - there is no point to flog a dead horse...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Lefteris Kalamaras locked this topic