Strange anti-noise departure values by CPS-X

Michele Benedetti

Ray Proudfoot

That looks well above 30°. My God, that must have been an experience both inside the aircraft and also for anyone watching from the ground.

Knowing the friendly rivalry between AF and BA I'm surprised there aren't some BA photos knocking around. They would have enjoyed the challenge.

Fraser Gale

I think this was in the early days and may even have been pilots of the test variety, possibly Jean Franchi or similar. BA certainly played around with her at times but whether there is photographic evidence I'm not sure.  I don't think there were passengers on when this was taken thankfully...

I don't think there was much rivalry between AF and BA because there was very little communication between them until 2000 when they had to work together. A BA pilot once told me that BA tried to get a technical exchange with AF in the early days to share the problems etc but AF weren't interested. They were commercial competitors though.

Frazz

AdrianSmith

Regardless of computed noise abatement time/distance if the aircraft reaches 240 KIAS reheat can be cancelled and throttles brought back to the bug.

According to the manual the aircraft will gain about 5 KIAS from initiating the power/noise reduction and stabilising speed so you will be at 245 KIAS; plenty at light weight and if you want more just pitch down GENTLY until the speed creeps up to the desired value.

At light weights 250 should be plenty

Ady

Fraser Gale

The minimum airspeed was actually 235kts. If this wasn't reached by the start of the noise count down the handling pilot would call "negative noise" to stop the engineer cutting the power. Once 235kts was reached the pilot would call "noise now". 

Frazz

Fraser Gale

I always carry a flight engineer! 

In fact, just a little story - when Concorde Captains and first officers had the Concorde type rating added to their license, it had a short statement that specified they were only permitted to operate a Concorde with a qualified engineer! 

It also said "and variant" because G-BOAG was not effectively the same variant of the aircraft as the rest of the fleet. 

Frazz