average wind trip and cost index

Fabio Marra

Fabio Marra

Hello everybody,

maybe someone here in the forum can help me to understand just a couple of things about this fantastic addon.

1) Does someone know where the information about the  averaged wind trip can be retrieved (I refer to the info that have to be put in the fmc inside the INIT page)?

I currently use Active sky 2016 for the weather while I am able to read the wind information for any waypoint of my route, I don't find any information about an averaged wind trip.

2) During my flights I noted that , for a route of about 400 miles, varying the cost index (for example from 20 to 80) only results in a difference of the flight duration of about 5 minutes.

Is this behavior correct? Alternatively to the cost index if, before takeoff, I manually change my cruise speed in the correct fmc page, I don't obtain any visible change in the flight duration reported in the fmc itself. Is that normal  or I do something of wrong ?

Thank you in advance!

Aidan Hutchison

1. Flight planning software (simbrief is free and works great)

2. Yes. Think about it, the difference between Mach .76 and .80 is 4%. Not that much.

Aaron Brand

In Active Sky if you go to the Flight Briefing tab, it gives you the average wind (dir and speed) for the entire flight.  Assuming that you have the route loaded into activesky.

Aaron

-oOo-

• Like 1
NilsUnger

PFPX also displays it on the flightplan tab (OFP).

Be aware, there is still a glitch in the calculations of the TOD if you put in this info in the MCDU. I leave it empty. I have less trouble in the descent that way. 

Fabio Marra

Thank you very much.

Yesterday I tried to use the value that Active sky 2016 gives in ouptut after that a flight plan is loaded. As Nils said, 

23 hours ago, NilsUnger said:

PFPX also displays it on the flightplan tab (OFP).

Be aware, there is still a glitch in the calculations of the TOD if you put in this info in the MCDU. I leave it empty. I have less trouble in the descent that way. 

I can confirm that I had some problems during climb and approach especially in the speed profile maintained by the autopilot.

Tomasz Zawadzki

I'm putting this info every flight and never had a descent management issue but I rarely fly fully managed to the ground as I like to be ahead of aircraft. I remember a survey done amongst flight simmers with 737 with regards to lnav/vnav usage and 80% of flight simmers used it. Same survey among rw pilots resulted in 20% doing that so totally opposite. Wonder what that would be with the bus but I don't remember being in managed speed mode below 10k ever