More issues that expected

Paul Hand

So, I thought I'd put down the $80 to have a go with the Concorde in P3D having used it ages ago in FSX. I was bit nervous given some of the things I'd read in forums but I was sure I could get them sorted.

I have a newish PC, 2 months old, 7700k, GTX1070, 4K monitor etc which runs P3Dv3.4 brilliantly with sliders pretty far right with the usual memory hogs. FTX Global/OpenLC and Vector, which is turned down about as low as it can go. A reasonable collection of airports. I have a few VAS issues with the FSL A320 but manageable.

Then 2 days ago I installed a freshly paid for and downloaded Concorde and have the following issues:

- the numbers on many gauges are only "right-sized" if I reduce Win10 font scaling to 100% from the Win10 recommended level of 150%, which makes everything else close to unreadable. This is not an issue with any other add-on (except the TFDi 717 - which has more problems than that!). There seems no real fix for this other than the tedious bodge of resetting resolutions on the PC before and after trying to use the Concorde.

- if I follow the manual instructions to load the cub at the gate and then switch to the Concorde, I get a grammatically dubious Enigma Protector error which then CTD's the sim. This is the case with the cub default flight engines on or off. A reinstall does not help - so to answer one thread "nothing" has changed that the Protector might see as far as I can tell.

- if I load Concorde directly from the scenario screen (with an engine on default flight) then usually it will load with the engines running, but almost immediately OOM at UK2000 EGLL, even when I have dialled back every slider almost as far left as they will go, leaving only a bit of AI. This is without even starting AS2016.

- if I load Concorde directly from the scenario screen (with an engine off default flight) it loads but the engines won't start (even using cntl-e) and then I get an OOM.

In two days of trying I have only managed to get off the runway once (at the default Elgin).

So I seem to have all the various issues that have been raised by others - I have reinstalled, tried the solutions in the forum to no avail etc. 

I know lots of you have it working but, from my perspective, it really shouldn't be this hard to install and use an $80 piece of software (particularly as this is the 2nd time I've bought it).

Not sure what to do other than write it off as a wasted $80 and move on.

cheers

Jonathan Fong

What sort of settings do you have, especially things such as LOD Radius, texture size (both the P3D setting and your addon-specific settings) and your ORBX Vector settings (if you have it)? I'm finding it hard to believe that you're having OOMs on load if you load the Concorde X in straight away (which you should be doing - there's no point in switching after loading in the Cub/F-22)

If you have large addons such as photoscenery or ORBX regions (e.g. FTX England, FTX Australia, etc.) disable them. Make sure your LOD radius is no more than 4.5 in your Prepar3d.cfg file (IIRC that's medium in the GUI settings in P3D itself) and that your maximum texture resolution in P3D is set to 2048 (one notch below the maximum in the settings GUI IIRC). If you have ORBX Vector, make sure you only have Highways, Primary Roads and Secondary Roads enabled in the Transportation settings and Beaches and Golf Courses enabled in the Various Features page. These aren't Concorde-specific tips - most major addons nowadays require such settings to prevent OOMs.

Thanks Jonathan

As I said, I'm aware of the "usual" VAS problem mitigation issues and my system has no problems with any addons other than Concorde.  My normal settings are relatively high. I have LOD at 4.5, textures at 4096 but OrbX vector turned down to show only highways and primary roads (and none of their subsets). No FTX regions (other than AU, which seems to offer better performance than Global on my system and is not relevant to starting a flight at EGLL in any case). No photoscenery. Even turning textures, traffic etc down, I still have issues with Concorde which makes no sense to me.

Loading the cub is the manual-specificed way to load Concorde and this causes an Enigma Protector crash, even after reinstalling Concorde (as admin).

Cheers

Kyprianos Biris

@Paul Hand

Concorde consumes VAS. That is a fact.

London area consumes VAS, lots of it, that is a fact.

In order to enjoy a full EGLL KJFK flight I have reverted to making the below changes especially for Concorde.

I have set up my P3D per the AVSIM guide. (see my spec's in my signature).

I DISABLE any add on airport and scenery I will fly over and namely EGLL (Aerosoft Heathrow Xtended in my case), ORBX EU England, ORBX Vector (roads etc. per AVSIM guide, page 106/152), FSDT KJFK.

REX clouds set as in page 103/152 of AVSIM guide.

I load the LOW END machine graphics profile of AVSIM guide (page 27/152) except the resolution which I leave set to 2048.

I do not have 4K monitor so screen resolution is set to 1920x1080. I have a feeling this is your main VAS issue. I have seen posts from the past here with Concorde having issues with 4K screen resolution.

I avoid cycling external views of the Concorde.

Regarding  P3D Concorde launch: I load it as described at the bottom of this post.

I have saved a flight of my own as Cold and Dark by Cold and Dark'ing it on my own and saving the Concorde placed at a remote minimal scenery (no ORBX) airport away from built up (ORBX) Europe/USA.

With the above sacrifices I arrive at JFK with some 300~500Mb VAS remaining.

Whenever I fly Concorde anywhere except heavy add on areas (namely London) I never have VAS issues and I can selecter higher detail profiles from my presets.

Regarding the 100% and 150% font size. Is this (need) an outcome of you using a 4K resolution screen ? Just a guess here, I don't know. All I can say on this is that Concorde-X was not developed in an era of 4K monitor resolutions.

Regarding Enigma Protector you will find some posts on it in this forum as [Solved], maybe this can help you.

Hi Kyprianos

Thanks for the comprehensive feedback - I guess I will have to lower my expectations (as well as my settings) to get this sorted out. I will try your ideas and see how it goes. Are you saying that you also have to disable any add-on EGLL/KJFK in order to fly between the two cities?

The scaling thing is, I'm pretty sure, to do with operating at 4K resolution, and as you say, it's probably because the code is older in Concorde that most newer add-ons, which don't have this issue. 

Thanks again for taking the time to respond so thoroughly.

Cheers

Paul

Kyprianos Biris
2 minutes ago, Paul Hand said:

Are you saying that you also have to disable any add-on EGLL/KJFK in order to fly between the two cities?

Unfortunately yes.

This is the price to pay for ORBX sceneries in my case. Others may be able to handle it, my PC in my settings, with ConcordeX, cannot.

The (my) thinking behind it is the following:

I fly all so often to nicely rendered heavy add on airports with other add on aircraft + ORBX (and even ORBX EU England which is very heavy) and I never get less that 500Mb VAS remaining. In these flights I enjoy the area & airport Scenery + the aircraft.

With Concorde I don't care sacrificing the airport scenery (and reduced area scenery) since I fly it to simulate the specific amazing aircraft.

ORBX have done an excellent work in Regional sceneries and this I admire too so I choose to prefer to have some conservatively enhanced, nice, day and night scenery on approach and miss the scenery within the airport perimeter. This is my sacrifice which I can gladly handle until ... THUMBS UP ... some day FlightSimLabs one day decide to review their showcase product, Concorde, for memory improvements.

3 minutes ago, petakas said:

With Concorde I don't care sacrificing the airport scenery (and reduced area scenery) since I fly it to simulate the specific amazing aircraft.

That makes sense to me :)

Flight_Engineer

Hello Paul,

I'll try to add some things which have worked for me in the past:

- if I follow the manual instructions to load the cub at the gate and then switch to the Concorde, I get a grammatically dubious Enigma Protector error which then CTD's the sim. This is the case with the cub default flight engines on or off. A reinstall does not help - so to answer one thread "nothing" has changed that the Protector might see as far as I can tell.

Make sure that you disable all dlls in the DLL.xml which are not necessary for flying Concorde, e. g. all the PMDG entries (set from <Disabled>False</Disabled> to True). Check both DLL.xmls in AppData/Roaming and ProgramData. You can keep all entries of FSLabs, FSUIPC, CPS, as_connect, Addon Manager and SODE. For ease of use, make a copy of these two files, before you edit them, so you can switch easily between settings. Also make sure you have excluded these two files from your AV live scanning according to petakas installation instructions:

<Sim>\Simobjects\Airplanes\FSLabs_Bae-Concorde\FSL_ConcX.dll
c:\users\<yourname>\appdata\Local\FlightSimLabs folder

This way you should get rid of any Enigma protection errors.

- if I load Concorde directly from the scenario screen (with an engine on default flight) then usually it will load with the engines running, but almost immediately OOM at UK2000 EGLL, even when I have dialled back every slider almost as far left as they will go, leaving only a bit of AI. This is without even starting AS2016.

As it has already been said here, the Concorde is very VAS hungry and wasn't made for screen resolutions greater than 1920x1080p. The problem is that Concorde's VAS consumption increases with the 2D panels resolution increasing on your screen. However, there are two workarounds:

1. As mentioned by Lefteris in the Latest Status and FAQ: Edit Prepar3d.cfg and change PANEL_STRETCHING = 1 to PANEL_STRETCHING = 0. Then, start P3D in windowed mode at a lower resolution, load the Concorde-X and then expand to full window mode. However, you have to do this every time you want to fly Concorde.

2. If 1 is too annoying, try this: Open Concorde's panel.cfg and divide all the 'size=x' entries by 4 for every [Window.xx] entry. This way, the windows will display in their native resolution, which reduces VAS consumption. However the 2D panels will appear smaller on your screen. Make sure you keep a backup of both the original and the modified panel.cfg in case of a reinstall. I use it on my triple-screen setup and it works. It is a compromise though.

- if I load Concorde directly from the scenario screen (with an engine off default flight) it loads but the engines won't start (even using cntl-e)

Can you make sure that you have set the Default Piper J-3 Cub with engine running as your default flight? If engines do not start, try placing the Cub at an airport, make sure the engine is running (CTRL+E) and then switch to Concorde. You should hear the engines running after the initialization is finished before you load another panel state. Don't click anything until you hear the engine sounds.

I can feel your pain since I've gone through all these problems before and they still struck me now and then (and many other Concorde users too). You have to keep in mind that Concorde's original release was back in 2010 and it still uses this very old code to this day. In terms of system complexity however, it is still one of the best add-ons available. Hopefully it'll get a v2 sometime in the future, when the Airbuses are finished, which will lift it up a little more to today's standards :)

regards

Jan

On 09/04/2017 at 1:09 AM, Flight_Engineer said:

Hello Paul,

I'll try to add some things which have worked for me in the past:

Hey Jan

Many thanks for taking the time to share your tips. I'll give these a try when I get a chance. Sounds like I really need a separate version of P3D set up just for Concorde!

Cheers

Paul