FSL A320X Verified Owner (Badge)

S_T_E_V_E S_U_M_M_E_R_S

S_T_E_V_E S_U_M_M_E_R_S

Hi all,

this took me a little while to figure out so I decided to post it here for anyone else who was wondering how to get the verified owner badge.

1. Go to your profile

2. Go to "Account Settings" (under your profile)

3. Select "My Products"

4. Enter both your "Serial Number" and "Order Number" and click "Verify".

If you've entered the details correctly, your badge will automatically display under your username.

Cheers!

Steve

Lefteris Kalamaras

Did you not actually read the announcement whereby details on how to do this are provided?

In fact, part of the requirements is to change your display name to your real full name as well...

S_T_E_V_E S_U_M_M_E_R_S
2 minutes ago, Lefteris Kalamaras said:

Did you not actually read the announcement whereby details on how to do this are provided?

In fact, part of the requirements is to change your display name to your real full name as well...

No, Terry, I actually did not see the announcement and even carried out a search and came up with nothing. My error I guess. 

Jonathan Fong
27 minutes ago, OmniAtlas said:

Just a note if you upgraded to P3D it will not work. You have to use your original FSX order number and serial.

Not true - I've registered both my A320X FSX original purchase ID/serial and my P3D upgrade ID/serial successfully.

Jose_Monteiro

I also didn't see any announcement, and my attention was caught when browsing the forum a couple of days ago...

I searched in my Profile and easily found the place to do it, but sincerely, I confess I feel a bit unsafe with cut & pasting my license data at a (pure HTTP) forum interface, over Internet......

• Like 3
Jonathan Fong
1 minute ago, Luca vom Bruch said:

Why do we have to use the real name though? I don't want to use my real name on a public forum.

My guess is it's to verify who you are to make sure only legitimate customers recieve support. It is strange though, considering you still need to enter your order ID/purchase email/serial...

Luca vom Bruch
1 hour ago, jcomm said:

I also didn't see any announcement, and my attention was caught when browsing the forum a couple of days ago...

I searched in my Profile and easily found the place to do it, but sincerely, I confess I feel a bit unsafe with cut & pasting my license data at a (pure HTTP) forum interface, over Internet......

You are 100% right. I already complained about no SSL. Now it has license data still no SSL.

• Like 2
NilsUnger
17 minutes ago, Luca vom Bruch said:

Why do we have to use the real name though? I don't want to use my real name on a public forum.

I don't like that either. I have no problem showing this forum (or the whole FS community) my real name. But I don't like to be found on Google.

On avsim I put a picture with my name in the signature. The forums can see my name but it can not be found on Google. 

I would prefer to do this on these forums, too. 

• Like 9
Aaron Brand

I have a question about this process then.  My girlfriend purchased the FSX A320 Early Adopters Package for me as a late birthday present using her details.  However when I upgraded to the P3D, using the order number from the FSX purchase, I used my details.  So how can I get the verified owner label without putting up my girlfriend's name?

Aaron

-oOo-

Lars Schneider

Dont like the real name as username thing either, for the reasons already mentioned. Putting the real name into the signature would have been a much better way, imho. And enforcing real names even though ownership is confirmed already seems to be rather overdoing it. 

But yeah, its their place, their rules, but this could have been done better. Just a bit ironic that all this anti piracy overkill is coming from a company that was accused of pirating others works in the past.... ;) #justsaying 

• Like 3
Norman S Bowman

This is quite an interesting discussion!

A little while ago on the forums a banned person managed to get back on by using a different alias and a different computer.

I suspect that the current change may be as a result of this action.

I am at a loss however as to why many of you have a hang up about using your given name - are you ashamed of it? 

• Like 3
Tim Smith

No issue with using my real name, I wouldn't hide my name if I joined a club or group in real life, the internet is just an extension of my physical self. Perhaps it's a generational thing. 

I did change my username to the current one only a day before the new requirements came about, and you can only change it once in 30days, so I have being a bit hesitant to post much since.  

Jonathan Fong
26 minutes ago, Norman S Bowman said:

I am at a loss however as to why many of you have a hang up about using your given name - are you ashamed of it? 

These forums are public. If you search for someone's real time it'd come up on Google. If you put it as an image in your sig (as I am), it wouldn't come up. It's a privacy concern - I don't mind showing my name to the FS community, but I do mind showing it to the entire internet.

Karl Brooker
1 minute ago, A320DLH said:

I never used my real name in any public (flightsim) forum and I'll keep it that way. FSLabs would be well advised to find another solution that adresses these concerns about privacy.

We'll soon be hard-enforcing name changes - they are the rules of our forum.

Søren Dissing
1 hour ago, Jonathan Fong said:

... but I do mind showing it to the entire internet.

Then you shouldn't be using it on Twitter ...

22 minutes ago, A320DLH said:

Then I'll request FSL to delete my forum account, if my posts would otherwise end up on Google.

If that's what you want.

There's always the support ticket system you can use if you do end up having issues. 

M_i_k_e_V_o_g
2 hours ago, Norman S Bowman said:

This is quite an interesting discussion!

A little while ago on the forums a banned person managed to get back on by using a different alias and a different computer.

I suspect that the current change may be as a result of this action.

Is it that hard to fathom that some people don't fancy the idea of their forum posts coming up whenever someone attempts to google their name??!

• Like 1
O_l_i_v_e_rM_a_e_r_t_e_n_s
2 minutes ago, Lars Schneider said:

and when are you going to use your real name Olli?

Either when name changes are hard-enforced, or when I have to seek support, whichever comes first ... B)

Karl Brooker
12 minutes ago, olli4740 said:

Either when name changes are hard-enforced, or when I have to seek support, whichever comes first ... B)

You also need to register your products to gain write-access to the other forums. Please change your forum name now to comply with our rules.

B_r_u_n_o-R_o_l_o

I am going to break my own rule by posting since the new rules (Sorry Norman this will probably be my last post here), but there are reasons why people might want to keep their names off the internet (In certain case it can be related to their job or other reasons).

I understand FSL wants to protect their product from pirates, and I think the verification process was a good step towards it, however, in my case, I am not able to share my full name publicly due to my job (sorry I wont go into the why, etc.). It is too bad as I enjoyed communicating with other FSL owners, even made a few new friends here, and reconnected with people from previous Airbus projects... In the end, this is FSL house and their rules, This is very disappointing for me, I enjoyed my time here, I will continue reading the forum and stop posting and use the ticket system when/if I have a problem with the product.

Take care all...

• Like 8
NilsUnger

Take care, Bruno. Sad to see good guys like you go.

It's really unfortunate. I don't see the need for real names at all. What does it help with? 

• Like 5
J_U_A_N__R-A-M-O-S

In the end i'm one of those who, with a lot of pain, also have to go. At first i did as requested and changed my name (after asking why it was needed) but it continues to make feel uneasy so i reversed course. I value my privacy a lot and i'm very reluctant to share any personal data on public online spaces.

I understand that FSL as a company (and by extension some of its employees) has to have some personal information about me, since we have a commercial relationship. That's ok by me and in fact i agreed to that when i got the product. but having it publicly visible, just a google search away makes me feel uneasy. I fully understand the reasons they want to put that rule in place, but they can implement it in a different way. Someone, a stalker, employeer, marketing company, even a malicious actor can have a very clear picture of who you are just using google if you share your personal data freely.

I understand that they need to control access to the forums and that some members misbehave because they feel their identity is hidden, but FSL can use other methods to tackle the problem without affecting our privacy. A method like this that i show you next can give then control over the forums and also lets us maintain the same degree of privacy.

1. Someone registers a forum account
  2. Then, they need to fill their real name in a field that only FSL can see
  3. The user then proceeds to register his serial numbers
  4. The user then gets read/write access to the forums
  5. Is the user misbehaving or disrespecting other users? then the forum moderator removes the write access to the forums for that serial number (Not the user, but the serial numbers that that user has)
  6. That way, the user cant misbehave AND regain access to the forums by registering with a new account, since its serial numbers will be the same and he can be detected that way, unless he wants to pay 100/130 dollars again :lol:

This method should solve the issue of privacy, pirates accessing the forum and users misbehaving. 

• Like 10
Lars Schneider
8 minutes ago, Cyberstudio (Pls delete) said:

I understand that they need to control access to the forums and that some members misbehave because they feel their identity is hidden, but FSL can use other methods to tackle the problem without affecting our privacy. A method like this that i show you next can give then control over the forums and also lets us maintain the same degree of privacy.

1. Someone registers a forum account
  2. Then, they need to fill their real name in a field that only FSL can see
  3. The user then proceeds to register his serial numbers
  4. The user then gets read/write access to the forums
  5. Is the user misbehaving or disrespecting other users? then the forum moderator removes the write access to the forums for that serial number (Not the user, but the serial numbers that that user has)
  6. That way, the user cant misbehave AND regain access to the forums by registering with a new account, since its serial numbers will be the same and he can be detected that way, unless he wants to pay 100/130 dollars again :lol:

This method should solve the issue of privacy, pirates accessing the forum and users misbehaving. 

great suggestion, i think most of us would happily agree with this way of ownership verification. Now the only question is if FSLabs is open minded enough to change the existing process

J_U_A_N__R-A-M-O-S

They are really open and communicative. Lefteris even answered a personal inquiry that i made about this. Maybe they can reconsider and implement it this way or in another way that allows them to manage the forums and allow us to retain our privacy.

John Barnes

Guys

Can we all stop throwing ourselves on our swords before this matter even gets addressed. LK is indisposed at this moment in time but WILL respond when he returns.

Many thanks for your patience.

Karl Brooker

In addition to John's message, please be aware that all the A320X subforums (aside from this A320X general discussion), and the "General Forum" are not readable to the public. Any posts you make in the correct subforums (this one isn't for support, after all) will not be trawled by Google bots. If would appease your privacy concerns in any manner, I can put forward the idea to make even this one inaccessible to the public, but that is just a suggestion, and not a guarantee. 

B_r_u_n_o-R_o_l_o
18 minutes ago, Karl Brooker said:

In addition to John's message, please be aware that all the A320X subforums (aside from this A320X general discussion), and the "General Forum" are not readable to the public. Any posts you make in the correct subforums (this one isn't for support, after all) will not be trawled by Google bots. If would appease your privacy concerns in any manner, I can put forward the idea to make even this one inaccessible to the public, but that is just a suggestion, and not a guarantee. 

Hi Karl, 

First thanks for trying to help us with our concern. I googled the username I used (before rules) and found these hits..  Are these hits found on Google before the forums were changed to private? 

njflyer.jpg

J_U_A_N__R-A-M-O-S
25 minutes ago, Karl Brooker said:

Hey Karl that's a very good suggestion indeed

A_ndré_F_olkers
On 3/19/2017 at 0:02 PM, NilsUnger said:

I don't like that either. I have no problem showing this forum (or the whole FS community) my real name. But I don't like to be found on Google.

On avsim I put a picture with my name in the signature. The forums can see my name but it can not be found on Google. 

I would prefer to do this on these forums, too. 

Well as a system engineer and working in IT for more then 30 years I don't agree to provide with the full name stuff... Actually it's very naive to ask for it in this current age and time

Since the forums are still public accessible without to login and over a not secure ip address!

Privacy is in lot of countries still an important issue ;-)

I have purchased the FSX version to support the team and finally on release the intended P3D version and supplied my registration details and that is enough.

Cheers gentlemen,

André

• Like 5
John Barnes
1 hour ago, John Barnes said:

Guys

Can we all stop throwing ourselves on our swords before this matter even gets addressed. LK is indisposed at this moment in time but WILL respond when he returns.

Many thanks for your patience.

• Like 1
Lefteris Kalamaras

Gentlemen,

I can certainly understand that for some people there might be a degree of privacy and security required that exceeds the norm. We considered not enforcing the "real name" rule but the anonymity many people were hiding behind in their posts which caused several threads to be closed and/or policed means that the need for disclosure overweighed the need for privacy for our forums. Already, the results are very encouraging as respect and politeness have returned to the expected levels. As a result, we now enforce this new rule, even if that means a couple people will select to not participate further.

The people who select to remove themselves from the forum can still receive support via the ticket system (as that is our primary means of providing support anyway).

I am locking this thread here, as we think there is no further need of discussion on this decision. If anyone wants their account closed, please open a ticket and we'll take care of it in the next few days.

• Like 1
  • Lefteris Kalamaras locked this topic