AS16 tips for better VAS

Angus Rowlands

Angus Rowlands

Guys I did a flight last night after takeoff when I was going through the clouds my sim OOMed. I then loaded up the PMDG NGX with the same weather and I never OOMEd. Does anyone have any weather tips to share for better VAS usage with AS16

Why do you think that it was AS16 that has caused OOM? From your description anything could have caused this OOM, the scenery, generated objects etc.

Quite often I observe the spikes of VAS usage (e.g. I can have 3.3-3.4GB VAS usage, then it jumps to 3.7-3.8GB, and then it goes back to the previous value). As far as I understand FSUIPC reports VAS usage each 10s. This means that if there is a huge short-term increase in VAS usage you might get OOM before VAS monitor reports high VAS usage. Taking into account that PMDG NGX uses 100-200MB less VAS this value could be just enough to fit within the VAS limit during the spike of VAS usage, whereas A320 causes the crash.

Angus Rowlands

I didn't say that the bus caused the OOM yes it could've been anything related to scenery or whatever I'll contact the Active Sky forums to see if I can get some lower weather settings tips. I understand that Active Sky uses about 200 mb of VAS 

I also did not say that the issue is caused by the Airbus. I only posted my observations during the flights in P3D. Usually have VAS monitor opened during my flights and I have observed that during most of my flights there is a short-term significant increase of VAS usage. And all that is needed to cause this OOM is for VAS usage to exceed 4GB. It is common that the discrepancy between average and increased VAS usage could be about 400-500MB in some cases. It looks more like a general issue with P3D. Unfortunately, this means that the addon that uses slightly more VAS compared to the other one is more likely to result in OOM.

What are is the LOD radius that you have set?

Angus Rowlands

My LOD is set to high I just recently did a clean install of Prepared. Next time it happens I'll check event viewer and see what it has to say.

Angus Rowlands
19 hours ago, ai_ab said:

I also did not say that the issue is caused by the Airbus. I only posted my observations during the flights in P3D. Usually have VAS monitor opened during my flights and I have observed that during most of my flights there is a short-term significant increase of VAS usage. And all that is needed to cause this OOM is for VAS usage to exceed 4GB. It is common that the discrepancy between average and increased VAS usage could be about 400-500MB in some cases. It looks more like a general issue with P3D. Unfortunately, this means that the addon that uses slightly more VAS compared to the other one is more likely to result in OOM.

What are is the LOD radius that you have set?

I guess the cat is out of the bag anyway now 64 bit is on the way

6 minutes ago, Navigator_41 said:

I guess the cat is out of the bag anyway now 64 bit is on the way

To some degree - yes. However, until it is actually released there are no other options but to fit within 4GB VAS limit. And I highly suspect that the developers will have to spend quite some time making their products compatible with the 64-bit version.

1 hour ago, ai_ab said:

I highly suspect that the developers will have to spend quite some time making their products compatible with the 64-bit version

Not to mention the Mount Everest of money simmers may have to spend on some upgrades.

3 minutes ago, Rafal said:

Not to mention the Mount Everest of money simmers may have to spend on some upgrades.

That's going to be on their conscience. There are the developers who offer discounts if the new version of the product is released, others might ask for a full price though.

24 minutes ago, ai_ab said:

There are the developers who offer discounts if the new version of the product is released, others might ask for a full price though.

Hence my 'may' and 'some'. ;)

Of course there is a naive part of me inside my brain (I know, I know) which believes all of them (including the big name starting with P) will generously serve the 64-bit switch for free.

Not that it makes a bit difference to me, as I am still on FSX so I would have to pay for some P3D stuff anyway, but at least now the 64-bit rumours made me hold my switch horses again (paying for the FSX/P3D switch again and then... once again?). :(

We have no other choice but to wait and see.