Simon Kelsey

A320X Tutorials

Simon Kelsey

Hello all,

I have started putting together some video tutorials for various aspects of A320X operation. My list to do going forward includes control laws, autoflight modes, non-ILS and non-precision approaches, descent management, a closer look at some of the MCDU pages and functions and so on. Hopefully you find them useful and if there is anything you would particularly like to see, any suggestions would be welcomed.

I have started with landing as this is a fairly commonly-asked question!

Landing

Circuits

• Like 23

Neil Warren

Hi Simon, 

Many thanks for doing these, I look forward to watching them. I would be interested in the MCDU pages. In particular the fuel prediction page, as I find it a little confusing :)

As you are so knowledgable Simon Do you happen to know the DOW of the aircraft modelled?

Cheers

Neil

• Thanks 1

Simon Kelsey

No problem Neil!

4 minutes ago, nawarren said:

Do you happen to know the DOW of the aircraft modelled?

42,330kg (IAE) and 42,338kg (CFM).

M_i_k_e_V_o_g

There are quite a few videos on utube by one "blackbox711" that are very informative and thorough.

Brian Miller

THank you for the videos Simon, i really enjoyed them!

Jose Francisco Ibañez M.

Thanks you Simon!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk Pro

NilsUnger

Thanks Simon, much appreciated! 

Maybe you can do a video about the different possibilities how to get the flightplan imported (from PFPX) into the FMGS. 

That gets asked a lot in the forums and would help massively. 

Thanks again. 

• Like 1

Sergej Weber
On 4.2.2017 at 9:23 PM, ha5mvo said:

There are quite a few videos on utube by one "blackbox711" that are very informative and thorough.

Actually Blackbox was the one who got me totally for this amazing aircraft. He was apparently a former 320 pilot with loads of knowledge. Maybe you will have the chance to collaborate with him?

Ezio Cingolani

Thanks Simon...!

Ezio

ping zou

Can not see the video in mainland china. Can I download it?

Jean Marc Devoisins

Hello Simon !

Very nice and instructive video !

Could you let us know how you managed the FMGS for circuit ?

I saw it was in Chateauroux Deols ? 

Thomas Danielsen

I would also be interested in finding out what you did to the MCDU. When I do patterns it resets itself after the second touch and go.

Sarantos Tsialtas

try no to arm spoilers and autobrake and use flap 3 

Jean Marc Devoisins

I found your post... get my answer ;)

Simon Kelsey

Hi chaps,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. As you've probably seen by now -- here's the post detailing the MCDU setup for circuits:

Whilst I'm here -- thank you for all the kind comments! I'll look at putting some more videos together soon. I think @Tim Mitchell has already recorded something regarding flightplan import etc, so when he knits that together we could perhaps add it to this thread.

Best,

Simon

C....

Yes - I have some raw footage of flight planning and importing that now I have some free time shall put together. Although as I've got a swanky new monitor I'll probably re-record in 1440p.

Matthew Johnston

From what I've been told, the GND SPLRS are armed during a circuit.

Simon Kelsey

Hello,

18 hours ago, Matthb89 said:

From what I've been told, the GND SPLRS are armed during a circuit.

I think this is airline-specific -- I've seen material referencing both techniques (likewise some airlines fly the circuit in Config 1 etc).

Arming the spoilers is fine -- just remember to disarm them again after touchdown ;)

• Like 1

Arto E.P. Karhu
1 hour ago, Simon Kelsey said:

Arming the spoilers is fine -- just remember to disarm them again after touchdown ;)

I understand one would end up fine even if forgetting that one. The ground spoiler function requires that the handle is armed AND thrust levers are at idle. This is required all the time, as it is not a "latched" condition, unlike ground transition, so advancing the power levers should retract the ground spoilers.

-Esa

Matthew Johnston
12 hours ago, Simon Kelsey said:

Hello,

I think this is airline-specific -- I've seen material referencing both techniques (likewise some airlines fly the circuit in Config 1 etc).

They should disarm once you set more thrust (e.g TOGA), as in a go around :D 

Dave Hyde

Many thanks Simon for posting this. I have to work on landings more than anything else, particularly the glide. The 2.5 degree rule looks to be a great way to descend smoothly.