Takeoff Monitor lights do not turn green at 100 knots

Fredric Greenblott

Fredric Greenblott

Recently I've been running into a minor issue. It's more annoying than anything, and it's just a minor inconvenience at takeoff. 

Recently, whenever I take off, the takeoff monitor lights do not turn green at 100 knots. Consequently, the virtual flight engineer calls out "100 knots, engine failure." All 4 takeoff monitor lights then turn green around roughly 150 knots. I also noticed they ignited several seconds later than normal. I'm not sure what's causing this. Yes, the reheats are properly armed and when I switch to an external view, they are on. The takeoff monitor button is in, and the engine 4 N1 switch is at 88%. Fuel is flowing normally and at a correct rate. 

Any insight into this???

FredricG

Ray Proudfoot

If it's only started recently it suggests you are doing something different in preparation. Have you set the P7 values correctly? Likewise the fuel flow values on the four engines?

When you advance the throttles check that N2 reaches 105% quickly. If it doesn't hit F4 for max thrust.

Fredric Greenblott
16 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

If it's only started recently it suggests you are doing something different in preparation. Have you set the P7 values correctly? Likewise the fuel flow values on the four engines?

When you advance the throttles check that N2 reaches 105% quickly. If it doesn't hit F4 for max thrust.

When I take off, I do the traditional "3, 2, 1, now", and on "now" I start the reheat timer and I press F4. I'm sure of that. But what I don't remember is the P7 setting. I'll double-check it when I fly her again.

Ray Proudfoot

You're starting the chronometer, not the reheat timer. ;)

If you haven't set P7 that is almost certainly the cause of the problem. That's an item in the checklists. I hope you're not doing everything from memory, that's impossible! Back to the tutorial. ;)

Fredric Greenblott
3 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

You're starting the chronometer, not the reheat timer. ;)

If you haven't set P7 that is almost certainly the cause of the problem. That's an item in the checklists. I hope you're not doing everything from memory, that's impossible! Back to the tutorial. ;)

I start the chronometer on 3, and the reheat timer and throttles on "now." And of course I'm not doing everything from memory ;), I have a checklist printed out. I'll just have to double-check the P7 values when I next fly. I'll get back to you when I do.

Kyprianos Biris

Try setting the parameters once with the Performance Calculator provided by FSLabs and SEND the data.

This will be a double check that you are not forgetting something to set in preflight.

Ray Proudfoot
6 hours ago, FredricG said:

I start the chronometer on 3, and the reheat timer and throttles on "now." And of course I'm not doing everything from memory ;), I have a checklist printed out. I'll just have to double-check the P7 values when I next fly. I'll get back to you when I do.

My mistake on the reheat timer. It was late. :(

AdrianSmith

Do you have moveable throttle levers?

If you hit F4 you have commanded max throttle opening, fine, BUT if you also have throttle levers and these are not at the max thrust position then even the slightest electric "noise" from a throttle lever will reduce the thrust.

F4 is a "momentory" command, once the throttles reach max they are no longer being commanded to be anywhere specific and so can roll back if they detect any input from elsewhere.