VAS And My Compromises

craiggear

Hey Guys,

I don't have a super duper machine, but I feel like I got MY setup in P3D working perfectly for me with no issues in all my payware. These include PMDG products, and the Majestic DH8D, AS2016 and Orbx and all that. Now, new in my hanger is the ever so beautiful FSLabs A320. I bought it when it was out for FSX and I actually clean-installed my copy of FSX for it. I didn't install any Orbx or even remotely try to set it up like I have my P3D set up. I basically only had the Airbus, and a few select airports I wanted to fly to. I loved it! 

Landed.png

So, back to my P3D. I absolutely LOVE my settings. The Majestic looks phenomenal especially when you're cruising just a few thousand feet above the mountains in NRM Orbx and stuff like that. NGX is also amazing. So when my beloved FSL Airbus came with a "YOU-MUST-DOWNGRADE-YOUR-SETTINGS" manual I was kind of put off. It was only about $50 Canadian to upgrade from the FSX licence so I decided to see what all this VAS talk was all about.  

I'm using Project Fly Tools to check my VAS during this test.

When I loaded up the bus in FT CYYZ with the intention to fly to FSDT CYUL it is pretty crap weather, and I'm using my preferred "best" P3D settings.  I haven't changed a thing. Before I can even start the engines I'm almost OOM. 

My fix was to ONLY TURN OFF all the vector features. Yeah, that sucks big time, because it looks so great. But it works for me, for the FSLabs Bus. Basically, I ignored the "downgrade booklet" and JUST turned off VECTOR and that was enough for me to ride from FT CYYZ all the way to FSDT CYUL in cloudy bad weather at around 80% VAS. 

Landed2.png

I really hope you guys can figure out a way to optimise the product to a level comparable to other payware so I can turn my VECTOR back on. Love the plane so far, though. 

Landed3.png

• Like 1
Karl Brooker

What's your texture res set to on the "Graphics" pane? Additionally, have you tried seeing how much VAS each individual airport uses? You can test relatively quickly by loading the Cub in the airport, then run P3D again with that scenery disabled (or even better, uninstalled - if you have the time) in exactly the same conditions.

For example, we tested like this last night and the FlyTampa EHAM is using just over 500MB VAS on it's own. That's a huge chunk of VAS for a single airport.

• Like 1

Texture res is 2048.  No I haven't yet but I do know that FT YYZ and FSDT YUL is pretty intense. I'm going to re-enable my Vector tonight and try some other locations and see what's doable.  

M@TTHl@S PlETSCH
15 hours ago, Karl Brooker said:

What's your texture res set to on the "Graphics" pane? Additionally, have you tried seeing how much VAS each individual airport uses? You can test relatively quickly by loading the Cub in the airport, then run P3D again with that scenery disabled (or even better, uninstalled - if you have the time) in exactly the same conditions.

For example, we tested like this last night and the FlyTampa EHAM is using just over 500MB VAS on it's own. That's a huge chunk of VAS for a single airport.

Have you used the reduced texure sizes for EHAM? Looks are the same but save VAS.