Photo

Fsx And Windows 7 In 64 Bits Needs Uiautomationcore.dll To Stop Crashing.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jim French

Jim French
  • Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 03:12 PM

The UIAutomationCore.dll seems to be essestial for FSX and Windows 7 operating in 64 bits. Otherwise, you may be getting the same "Fatal Error" messages followed by a shutdown that is hurting a lot of other FSX users, as evidenced by numerous people like me reporting the problem in various forums on the web. One place where it may be downloaded is http://www.mediafire.com/?mik2mlqdz1w After saving it to your desktop or a folder, right click on extract all, extract the zip file, then using Windows Explorer drag the UIAutomationCore.dll into the main FSX directory. Apparently, FSX is a 32 bit program, and the UIAutomationCore.dll makes it work like a 32 bit program, thus preventing the fatal error messages that can come after serveral hours into an otherwise very satisfying fight. Moreover, for some users it speeds up their frame rates, and improves their display usage over dual monitor setups.
Thanks Charan Kumar for offering this solution! :)
Jim French

#2 skipper43

skipper43
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:03 AM

Thanks Jim. just installed FSX on Win7/64 and am getting the fatal errors. Downloaded the dll and it's sitting on my desktop. Don't know how to get it into FSX.
Where do i find the main FSX directory? All I see is the small icon in lower left corner that I click when I want to open FSX.
Don't know where FSX directory is found and how to drag it there.

#3 lucatrader

lucatrader
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:48 AM

The UIAutomationCore.dll seems to be essestial for FSX and Windows 7 operating in 64 bits. Otherwise, you may be getting the same "Fatal Error" messages followed by a shutdown that is hurting a lot of other FSX users, as evidenced by numerous people like me reporting the problem in various forums on the web. One place where it may be downloaded is http://www.mediafire.com/?mik2mlqdz1w After saving it to your desktop or a folder, right click on extract all, extract the zip file, then using Windows Explorer drag the UIAutomationCore.dll into the main FSX directory. Apparently, FSX is a 32 bit program, and the UIAutomationCore.dll makes it work like a 32 bit program, thus preventing the fatal error messages that can come after serveral hours into an otherwise very satisfying fight. Moreover, for some users it speeds up their frame rates, and improves their display usage over dual monitor setups.
Thanks Charan Kumar for offering this solution! Posted Image
Jim French

it works, expecially against fatal errors that come from multiples clicks on the top menu.

#4 AdrianSmith

AdrianSmith
  • Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:30 AM

don't get CTD crashes but in FSX (WIN7 64 bit) I will, from time to time and in random places, get a "freeze" when FSX will stop responding for almost exactly ten minutes. It will then, usually, carry on where it left off.

Plays havoc with the VA client as that usually throws teddy clean out of the pram and the VA flight is aborted.

Is this something UIAutomation should cure?

#5 AdrianSmith

AdrianSmith
  • Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 09:17 PM

Well I can answer my own question, UIautomationcore did NOT cure my stutters!

Still getting ten minute "not responding" pauses during flight.

#6 phantomflyer

phantomflyer
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 04:18 PM

avw87amz.jpgThanks Jim. just installed FSX on Win7/64 and am getting the fatal errors. Downloaded the dll and it's sitting on my desktop. Don't know how to get it into FSX.
Where do i find the main FSX directory? All I see is the small icon in lower left corner that I click when I want to open FSX.
Don't know where FSX directory is found and how to drag it there.

The main FSX directory means just that - Where you installed FSX. Click "Computer" (I assume you installed FSX to the default location - something that should be avoided but never mind). Then go to c:\program files(x86)\microsoft games\FSX just put the UIAutomation core.dll anywhere (NOT in any folders though! Just any blank area). Now restart FSX and you should stop getting the "in game" menu crashes (fatal errors). Worked for me many times (Have had 3 PC's with FSX and found I needed that file to stop these fatal errors using Win 7 64 every time).

I tried to upload a screenshot of mine but this site only allows linked shots (cannot upload directly from my pc).

EDIT***OK I did get the shot up for you!!

PM me if you still need help.

Bill 

#7 phantomflyer

phantomflyer
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 05:27 PM

don't get CTD crashes but in FSX (WIN7 64 bit) I will, from time to time and in random places, get a "freeze" when FSX will stop responding for almost exactly ten minutes. It will then, usually, carry on where it left off.

Plays havoc with the VA client as that usually throws teddy clean out of the pram and the VA flight is aborted.

Is this something UIAutomation should cure?

Not really! The "8 minute freeze" is an FSX entity that HiFi allude to in their Active SKy Next manual. What they do to correct it is apply an Affinity Mask setting (dependent on your CPU type and whether or not you have Hyper Threading enabled or not). For me, it set my AM (Affinity Mask) to 84, but if you go to the simforums (Flight1 hosts it) discussion where NickN writes a lot. He is dead against adding a [JobScheduler] Affinity mask= XX  to your FSX config, (but a lot of folks still must for some reason) and instead highly recommends starting FSX and all supporting programs (for me that's my weather engine ASN) and hitting ctrl+shift+ESc (task manager) then locating the programs running (FSX and ASN for me) and right clicking that application and "set affinity" and for  de-select ALL cores EXCEPT the ones you want to use (if there are 8 shown, you have HT enabled). If you have a hex core there will be 12 if you have HT enabled. Under the FSX application UNTICK the FIRST 2 cores (Windows likes to be there a LOT and it interferes with FSX big time) and the LAST core(s) that your supporting program are using.

So, for me through the task manager, FSX is using cores 2,3,4,5 ticked and ASN has only cores 6 and 7 ticked. This allows Windows to use cores 0 and 1, FSX uses 2,3,4 and 5, and ASN uses cores 6 and 7 (I have a i7 4600K with HT enabled so 8 cores are showing). If this doesn't stop your "8 minute freeze, then you might need to set the affinity mask in the FSX config itself, but ONLY as a last resort. I was getting that freeze especially when using the PMDG 777, then I let ASN set my affinity to 84 (effectively doing what I did using the task manager) - ASN will do it for you if you have the settings to "warn about affinity"... Try it out both ways and see how it goes for you. Nick states that the most logical way is to use the task manager. 

Just remember that if you choose to use the task manager, you will have to "set affinity" every time you start FSX and supporting programs like weather engines, EZdok, UT2 (traffic programs)..etc..(even screenshot takers are able to have their affinity set to use cores you specify).

Hope this helps you!

regards,

Bill

#8 AdrianSmith

AdrianSmith
  • Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 03:37 PM

How do I enable Hyperthreading, I have a quad core processor so if I let Windows have 0 and 1, that only leaves 2 for FSX and 4 for ASN, seems a bit like it will affect my frame rates?

#9 phantomflyer

phantomflyer
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 05:58 PM

With HT off, Windows only needs core 0 (the 0 and 1 are used when HT is enabled)

So try this first - with HT off, keep Windows on core 0  and set FSX to core 1 and ASN to core 2 or 3. 

Are you sure HT is off? It is usually on by default.

FSX doesn't really need HT enabled but you can try it. You have to set it on in the BIOS on bootup. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users